Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Am A Boy With Scoliosis.. i hate it so much... i don't know what to do anymore :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy I Am A Boy With Scoliosis.. i hate it so much... i don't know what to do anymore :(

To sum everyhting up... It has taken over my whole life.... I have scoliosis in my lower spine, the lumbar, i believe is what it's called... but thankfully it is kind of in the middle and my spine goes back to position when it ends at my pelvis. My curve last time i was checked up, was 22-23 degrees... i was diagnosed in 8th grade with a 15 degree curve... i am now 16 and in 10th grade... i have lost weight and now i can feel my scoliosis<--- this is where my problem begins... From the very day that i found out that i had scoliosis i started always touching it and i just kept feeling the curve..i still do that... I'm so scared that i am going to have to get surgery, my doctor said that i dont need a brace.. b/c i hips are inline.... But i am still deathly scared.. I go through so much stuff wondering... WHY ME WHY DID THIS HAPPEN TO ME! I dont understand! I always look at everyone else and just wonder "what is it like to have a straight spine" ... if i could just feel how that felt... gosh i dont know what i would do I really dont want surgery, i probably wont have it... i just want to be normal... can anyone see where i am coming from (especially another guy?) I just UGH! i dont want this anymore... my next appointment is i think the 15 or 16th of this month. I JUST WANT FOR ONCE TO SIT BACK IN A CHAIR FULLY WITHOUT MY SPINE POPPING OUT ON ONE SIDE!... why me... why does this have to take over my life.... why why why... I WANT TO BE NORMAL.....enough... this makes me sad Please someone repsond...

-Amin-

PS: i am sorry if i sound so desperate, but i feel that i can express myself about my scoliosis on here hoping that people just like me will understand

I Feel The Same

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND, hi i'm a 15year old girl with scoliosis, i think i have a double major curve which is really noticeable to me and i bet to everyone else, i definately don't look normal anyway.I find myself looking at others too and thinking 'why can't i just have a normal spine, i'll never know what that feels like!' then i find myself getting jealous of ppl who have normal backs, which sounnds completely stupi, but i can't help the way i feel. i just want to be normal too! I feel as though i'm going through this on my own because even when i try to explain to others (which isn't very often) about how i'm feeling about scoliosis, they just can't understand, but why would they??because they have normal spines. I knwo what u mean about sitting in chairs too, i find it har to even get comfortable in bed! I don't have a brace and I don't think my back is bad enouhg to need surgery, but sometimes i feel like i just want surgery to make my appearance better and more acceptable to me. But i probably won't have surgery because it seems like too drastic a rick to take if i don't acutally need surgery.

I feel exactly the way you do and you don't sound desperate, even if u did it doesn't matter, because i feel exactly the same way, even though i'm not another guy i can still relate to you. And forums like these i find help u express what ur feeling to ppl who can actually understand you

I'm a guy with scoliosis, also. You're lucky you don't need a brace, yet. (although, you probably will need one in the future.) My scoliosis doesn't show as much, anymore. (it never did show too much) Ever since I got my brace, I've gone out much less. I can't walk one step without getting stares, in public. If you think your scoliosis shows too much, imagine how I feel with a brace... It's supposed to be "low profile" but it actually sticks a whole lot out of my back. I'm 15, going into 10th grade. I'm willing to bet my brace will ruin the rest of my highschool years. I just got shoulder straps for my brace and I hate them already. They are too obvious, even under my shirt. We all wish our spines were straight. Sometimes, I just want surgery to kill my scoliosis so I won't be such a social outcast. Girls have it much easier in bracing, they stop growing much sooner than guys do, which means they can forget about the brace and scoliosis. Enjoy your time out of the brace while you still can, man...

I'm a girl with scoliosis and i don't have a brace and don't think i'm going to get one. But we really don't have it much easier, all of us whether male or female have issues with scoliosis, for me it's body issues. My scoliosis IS noticeable already without a brace and it sucks! We're all in the same crappy boat or hating scoliosis. I feel like you, sometimes i just want surgery to correct my scoliosis and improve my appearance. Are you going to have any kind of surgery???

...and believe me, we can never forget about scoliosis, it's always going to be there and i'm always going to hate it.

Nope, no surgery yet... just bracing. The brace hasn't even helped me, so I might have surgery...

Get a life idiot.
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Quote Originally Posted by hdugger View Post
    Clarification for people reading through after the spam was deleted, the preceding post was in response to since-deleted spam.
    Thanks hdhugger for the clarification. I thought that moron's account was deleted already so was surprised to see him at it again. >_<
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Arrow 20 y/o here to help!

My name is Gina and I have just joined this forum... I've never posted here before. I am 20 years old and I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11. I had an S curve in my spine, 64 degrees to the left and 39 degrees on the lower spine to the right. I had a "rib hump"- the hump resulting from my spine pushing my rib cage backwards. The doctors told me that if I didn't have surgery, I could ultimately become crippled or die from the chronic pneumonia that I was experiencing due to my lung position.

I had a major 12 hour surgery done by Dr. Richard McCarthy out of Little Rock, Arkansas, while I was in grade 6. (Some of you may have seen the show "Extreme Surgery" on the Discovery Channel- that was him). I had 2 Herrington rods placed in my spine, and I am fused from the C3 in the neck to the L2 in the lower back. I spent a week in the hospital and it was about a month before I could go back to school full days.

I was just reading through some of your posts and noticed the fear and apprehension. I just wanted to say: Please, dont worry! Scoliosis may bother you now, but it is not the be and end all. I have led a full and awesome life and am now in university studying to be a nurse and in a wonderful relationship with someone who has asked me to marry him- rods or not! I have had some back pain, but it has never been strong enough to take over my spirit. If I can do nothing else on this forum, I just wanted to write my story in for support. I didn't have much when I was going through this, and wanted to lend a helping hand. Now, all of my friends see my scar and they compliment me on my bravery... in a way I feel as if this experience shaped me.. literally! When the doctor straightened me out, I went from a height of 5'1'' to 5'4''! I have been able to play some sports and even be on my high school pom squad.

I know my life living with scoliosis is a lot easier than for some of you, but I too have experienced tons of pain. Before my surgery, there wasn't a night or day that I could go through without excrutiating pain. I went to school and was made fun of constantly... especially if anyone saw the scar on my back and around my chest wall. I was so upset about it for such a long time, but I realized that life is precious and I was just thankful to come off the surgery table. I just wanted to offer my support and praise to all of you who are being so brave not only to go through this, but to reach out to others who are also suffering- it helps!!

Good luck and God Bless....
    Gina

Thumbs up I Know

Hey I know how you feel!!

I hate having scoliosis. I have a back brace AND I'm having surgery! My surgery is in Nov/Dec...we thought it would be in June so I couldn't do things liek the Spanish Exchange and the School Play because my surgery might happen at that time.

I've learnt to live with it...it's not the end of the world no matter how bad it feels..you won't always have it! And I love it when people try to hit me in the stomach and they injure their hand because they hit the brace!!!

my 17 yr old son

My 17 yr old son knows how you feel. He had surgery 2 years ago. He is getting ready to have surgery again in September. He feels the same way you do. Chad's mom.

hi there! Don't let this take over life dude! 22 degrees is nothing compared to some scoliosis cases. I just had fusion on the 30th of September 09 and yeah it was hard! I had a 60 degree curve in my thoracic spine and you thought your back popped out of the side. My rib hump was pretty evident when I bent down. I was self conscious about it. But thats how I was made, and it needed to be fixed. There's nothing you can do to change how you were made and that might seem hard to accept. I've had family members who have had cancer and my mom did blood work at a hospital when she was in college. I am very thankful for my health even though I wasn't perfect before and I'm not perfect now. It could be a lot worse ya know? At least its a skeletal disorder and if it does get worse it can be fixed and not something like leukemia. I'm 18 so I'm not that far off from your age. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Maliha

whoops I replied too haha

That's okay JDM. It felt good to get that off your chest,though didn't it?

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

What ever happened to Amin? He last posted in 2005. He'd be 20 years old now.