View Full Version : School Research Paper?

04-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Okay, I'm 16 and have to write a research paper for my sophmore english class. The topic I would like to do is write a persuasive argumentative research paper (thats the assignment) on how orthopedic surgeons should not be the ones to treat patients with scoliosis until they actually need surgery. In Europe, they have different people oversee the preventative treatment. The only time a surgeon is involved is if the patient has progressed far enough and rapidly enough for surgery. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or resources I can use? THANKS!!

04-22-2008, 10:43 PM
This book should be a good reference:
Scoliosis and the Human Spine by Martha Hawes
You can buy it from http://www.scoliosis.org/store/books.php

04-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Hola Bracegirl

How is your research paper coming along?

I had my surgery done in the UK, I was diagnosed in Jersey when I was 11 and then referred to Southampton to see a Dr there (Jersey did not have the expertise to deal with Scoliosis).

Unfortunately, my curves had already progressed passed the 50 mark and I was scheduled for surgery within 3 months. At the time of surgery it was 76 Thoracic.

I think your paper is based on a very interesting topic.

All the best and speak soon :)

04-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks so much to the two of you for responding to my post. Swimmersmom, my PT reccomended the same book! Wow, great minds think alike, huh! :D
Anyway, I have another question. What do people think about the idea? Do you think it's a good idea to have doctors other than surgeons treat scoliosis? additionally, my thesis is revised. it is now that "scoliosis treament should be overseen in conjunction with but not solely by orthopedic surgeon"
Any comments?

04-29-2008, 07:12 AM
Hola Bracegirl

I personally would rather be seen by an orthopedic surgeon that just a Dr, Scoliosis needs to be tended to by a professional. It is a difficult question to answer because I am happy to talk to anyone about Scoliosis providing they have the knowledge to deal with it.

GP's (general practitioners) in the UK for example, are not qualified in anything specialist so I would not want them doing anything other then referring those patients to the specialist, if the GP all of a sudden gained power over the action required for a patient with Scoliosis I would be concerned for those patients.


04-29-2008, 07:47 AM
I've been pondering your question.

Certainly a GP doesn't have the training to manage any scoliosis treatment.

So the question boils down to whether you have an orthopedic surgeon manage the case or just an orthopedic specialist I guess.

But I have to wonder if there is such a thing as an orthopedic specialist who isn't trained in surgery. Maybe all orthopods are by definition surgeons also, I don't know.

Is orthopedics a surgical specialty? I think so. In which case I would say because the patient should be managed by an orthopedic specialist, and all orthopedic specialists are likely surgeons, then all patients should be managed by an orthopedic surgeon.

Anything amiss with that?

04-29-2008, 07:59 AM
I think that is spot on Pooka1 :)

04-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Even a blind squirrel finds a peanut once in a while. ;)

05-01-2008, 06:27 AM
In Europe, they have different people oversee the preventative treatment. The only time a surgeon is involved is if the patient has progressed far enough and rapidly enough for surgery.

Hi Bracegirl! I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you... In the UK it's the (few) lucky ones who get a quick referral to an orthopedic surgeon. As Sharon said, GPs are not equipt to deal with Scoliosis & generally have limited knowledge & experience of the condition. Over here the surgeons are the experts and, contrary to popular belief, will only recommend surgery when all else has failed.

Sorry to burst your bubble... But good luck with your assignment!