PDA

View Full Version : soon to be 6 years post-op

kennedy
10-25-2015, 09:57 PM
hey everyone sorry I haven't been active in a while. march of 2010 I had my Spinal Fusion surgery for my scoliosis. it been a tough road from my diagnosis, bracing for a year to stop the progression of the curve but that didn't work. so during my 12 grade year in high school I went under the fusion surgery which I dreaded for 6 years. My recovery was uneventful other then a infection scare. but the stiches was just infected. im still in chronic pain from it. but now i'm suffering from gastrointestinal issues

mabeckoff
10-26-2015, 07:18 AM
Hi
I hope that you start feeling better soon

Melissa

leahdragonfly
10-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Hi Kara,

Wow, that's amazing it's 6 years! You are such a trooper, with your sinus surgery and foot surgery also behind you. I am happy for you that all those surgeries are done. But you mention chronic pain...I didn't realize you had chronic pain in your back, and I'm sorry to hear that. Also about your recent gastrointestinal issues. I hope you can find relief from those soon.

Do you have any fun plans for Halloween?

Take care, and congratulations on your almost 6 years!

Gayle

Pooka1
10-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Kara!

I always look forward to your updates but am so sorry to hear that you now have pain. Can I ask where in your back is the pain? I hope you get some help for that. Maybe some PT can help?

Best regards,
Sharon

kennedy
11-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Thanks everyone. My gastrointestinal issue was dianosed with IBS. My chronic pain is in my lower back under my fusion

Pooka1
11-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks everyone. My gastrointestinal issue was dianosed with IBS. My chronic pain is in my lower back under my fusion

Kara,

I am sorry you are having pain issues. I hope your surgeon can tell you why you are having pain in your lower back and can help you with that.

Good luck.

susancook
11-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Kara: Yikes! 2016 will hopefully be a better year for you! Follow-up with your surgeon if the pain continues. I have found that I need to call often to give updates on my pain.

Good luck! Sorry that you are in pain. That sucks!

Hugs, Susan....also in pain and tired of my situation also!

kennedy
12-13-2015, 06:48 PM
sharon the thing is the surgeon who did my surgery is now in st louis at washington university.

Pooka1
12-13-2015, 07:33 PM
sharon the thing is the surgeon who did my surgery is now in st louis at washington university.

Yes but a new set of x-rays or some other tests with a new surgeon might get you an answer as to why you are having pain below your fusion. That is not normal for people with one curve like I think you have. My kids have similar fusions and do not have pain below their fusions. One is almost 8 years out and the other is more than 6 years out. Even people with Harrington rods didn't tend have problems with only a thoracic curve. They should tell you why this is happening and figure out how to help you.

kennedy
12-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Yes but a new set of x-rays or some other tests with a new surgeon might get you an answer as to why you are having pain below your fusion. That is not normal for people with one curve like I think you have. My kids have similar fusions and do not have pain below their fusions. One is almost 8 years out and the other is more than 6 years out. Even people with Harrington rods didn't tend have problems with only a thoracic curve. They should tell you why this is happening and figure out how to help you.
I had two curves

Pooka1
12-13-2015, 07:40 PM
I had two curves

Yes but the bottom one wasn't structural, was it? I thought you just had a thoracic curve and a compensatory lumbar curve. My daughter's lower curve was almost 40* as I recall but she could straighten to to less than 10* so even though it was a "big curve" it wasn't structural and didn't need to be fused.

Did your lower curve decrease to match your fused curve all by itself after surgery? Is it bigger or smaller now than before surgery?

kennedy
12-13-2015, 08:02 PM
it was 40 degrees before surgery after it was 17 at my last x-ray in 2014 it was 21 degrees for both

Pooka1
12-13-2015, 08:10 PM
it was 40 degrees before surgery after it was 17 at my last x-ray in 2014 it was 21 degrees for both

Okay your new surgeon should have all these records and hopefully will tell you if you curve is stable. It seems stable from that you posted. I think your lower curve has to be non-structural since it straightened out to match the fused curve all by itself. But the surgeon will have to tell you.

Good luck, Kara.

kennedy
12-13-2015, 08:15 PM
good point sharon :)

Pooka1
12-13-2015, 08:26 PM
good point sharon :)

Will you see a new surgeon near your 6th anniversary in March? Did you pick a new surgeon yet?

kennedy
12-13-2015, 08:30 PM
with my insurance i need to get a referral every year which is really dumb

Pooka1
12-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Okay well you'll get the referral and a new surgeon and he will figure out how to help you. I certainly hope so, Kara!

kennedy
12-16-2015, 05:59 PM
i had my appt with my GP yesterday. he thought that the referral stuff was a bit strange as well sharon

kennedy
12-16-2015, 09:45 PM
I had my appt with my GP yesterday. he thought that the referral stuff was a bit strange as well. sometimes i wish Dr Gupta didnt mess with my medical care like that