PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Chicken on here - surgery date Nov 4

scooter950
06-23-2014, 09:52 AM
<yikes>

OK, it's real- my surgery is scheduled for nov 4th. too paralyzed to write much right now. this too will pass. I keep saying "I wish this was over already"... so now- at least I have a date. thanks to all for sharing - without this forum, i would be stuck in limbo - undeciuded- for who knows how long? grateful to all - Jamie in TX

Susie*Bee
06-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Jamie-- can't remember how many times I've read (and written) THAT is the biggest step in the whole process... setting the date. Making the decision. And you aren't the biggest chicken on here. Over the years there have been so many people who have taken a long time to make their decisions also. It's not one that many of us can just jump into, is it? I'm excited for you! You've just crossed the biggest hurdle. Hugs, Susie

Irina
06-23-2014, 11:59 PM
Susie is right - deciding to go for it and setting the date is the most difficult part. Congrats Jammie! Waiting is hard, but not as difficult as making THE decision. Stay busy and ask all the questions you have.

titaniumed
06-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Jamie

We all remember committing to our surgical dates.....these are dates we never forget.

I think that with all the thoughts and anxiety, that deep breathing often and of course running, really helped me with it all. I know I didnít want to go in under some sort of med, I just figured I would try to deal with it on a natural level....

And we do finally realize that we need to have this done, and donít have much of a choice in the matter....In the last few days I did feel a sort of release, and walked in without freaking out. It was about putting all my trust where it needs to be.

BTW, How is your neck?

Ed

golfnut
06-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Setting the date is a big step. I don't think it is possible to "elect" to have this major surgery and not have anxiety. While I was a nervous wreck, I was also excited about getting a straight back!

susancook
06-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Congratulations in setting the date! Yes, it does take your breath away! Setting a wedding date was easy, compared to the surgery date. Where are you having your surgery? Who is your surgeon?

You have set he date that will change your life, that is, you will be able to look forward to a more active life.

You are going in the right direction. Susan

Irina
06-24-2014, 11:59 PM
Congratulations in setting the date! Yes, it does take your breath away! Setting a wedding date was easy, compared to the surgery date. Where are you having your surgery? Who is your surgeon?

You have set he date that will change your life, that is, you will be able to look forward to a more active life.

You are going in the right direction. Susan

Susan,

You made me chuckle by saying that setting a wedding date was easier :-) Love your sense of humor!

JenniferG
06-25-2014, 04:10 AM
Congratulations on setting your date. I had a chuckle - I well remember my opening post here about 6 years ago, calling myself a woos. Everyone said, "What's a woos?" A woos is a terrible scaredy cat. But by the time my date arrived, I couldn't wait for it to be over and get on with the business of recovering. Best wishes for your journey.

the_baroness
06-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Just say to yourself:

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain."

I said it to myself over and over before my surgery! And yes, I am a sci-fi nerd...

jrnyc
06-26-2014, 10:46 PM
congratulations Jamie...
you are not the biggest chicken...
you are a brave courageous woman...
there is NO doubt about that...
so if you do not believe that...you are the only
doubter...

the rest of people who know you, know you are brave.

best wishes for an uneventful procedure and boring simple
uncomplicated recovery...
jess...and Sparky

PeggyS
06-29-2014, 05:36 PM
Hi Jamie! I'm right there with you - sometimes the anxiety is overwhelming! We'll be going through this 'together' . . . I'm waiting on confirmation for a date in late October. Where will you be having your surgery?

scooter950
06-29-2014, 11:37 PM
hello again... well, I started reading and re-reading the revision posts, and it can be discouraging., I think " what if , next year I will be posting here- saying I need a revision?" AAACK> so I've deliberately avoided the forum. I'm calm, I am trying to walk - the surgeon wants me to do physical therapy for conditioning, but I don't know how I'll be able to fit it into my schedule. so I'm trying to walk and I will add core strengthening too. i will post more tomorrow... thank you for all the support. Yes, I wanted the surgery in Oct. but the office called with Nov 4 so that's my date!

scooter950
06-29-2014, 11:42 PM
just to remind myself: why am I choosing to have surgery?
1. my spine is not going to get better by itself, no way, no how.
2. my spine has a good chance of getting worse with age ( osteoporosis, DJD, etc)
3. my spine is already trying to fuse itself- hence, the pain I had in my neck, and a lot of the pain I have now
4. the goal: pain relief would be wonderful, but my real goal is stabilization. I want to stabilize the curves so it will NOT worsen with age.

I also want to be more active, I want to walk again I would love to travel.

so these are my reasons. sharing with everyone, but also posting to remind myself why I am choosing to do this. will post more tomorrow thanks to all - sorry so brief tonight, jamie in TX

Irina
06-30-2014, 12:31 AM
Jamie,

Try do not read Revisions section anymore. You've made THE decision and just look forward in your future, past the surgery. The forum is a great source of knowledge and support, but it can be a very scary place too. We all know about risks and complications, and I am sure you did your homework... but now you need to block out any scary stories.

Have you tried yoga? It helped me to calm down my nerves before the surgery. Also, please keep things in the perspective - it was said many times that we are all different, and I want to retiorate it again - some people see a glass as half-empty and others as half-full... Best of luck to you!

susancook
06-30-2014, 01:36 AM
Jamie, Irina said it and I will reinforce her suggestion. Do not read the revisions section or the "I am sorry that I had surgery" sections. Been there, read them all and it does not help confidence! Loved your reasons for surgery.

One time when I was at the hospital and went for an X-ray, I saw an older woman with a huge kyphosis who was pretty much doubled it. I said to myself, "that could be me in 10 years". I swear she was a plant to convince me! After my coronal balance went to 11 something, one of the spinal surgeons said that "if I did not consider surgery, he would be surprised".

Age is never our friend when it comes to healing. You have a great attitude! Susan

PeggyS
06-30-2014, 05:55 AM
Making a list of reasons for surgery is a great idea! I'm going to make my own list & place copies where I'll see them frequently. Thanks for sharing!

golfnut
06-30-2014, 07:02 AM
Jamie,
Before my surgery, I constantly read the "First-time" section of the forum. One day, out of curiosity I peaked at the revision section and it scared me. I made a promise to myself to never read posts there again until I was over a year post-op. Keep in mind that the majority of people who have surgery are pleased and never post again as they move on with their busy lives. I think putting in writing your reasons for surgery is a great idea. I wrote up many of the positive quotes from David Wolpert's book and posted them in my bedroom to read during recovery incase I became discouraged with my slow progress.

springchicken
06-30-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm calm, I am trying to walk - the surgeon wants me to do physical therapy for conditioning, but I don't know how I'll be able to fit it into my schedule. so I'm trying to walk and I will add core strengthening too. i will post more tomorrow... thank you for all the support. Yes, I wanted the surgery in Oct. but the office called with Nov 4 so that's my date!

Hi Scooter! It's great that you made a list to remind yourself why you're having surgery. I go through similar reminders myself as I continue through my recovery.

I was going to suggest, if you're able, to build up your arm strength, too. I did lots of push-ups in the months beforehand-- it helped so much to be able to push myself up when getting out of bed. You could also do squats-maybe practice at the kitchen counter. Strong quads also help you when getting in and out of bed.

Best of luck with your surgery!

scooter950
07-16-2014, 11:18 PM
UGH more news- well, I will be having another surgery in Aug. it's nothing compared to scoli, and it's elective but.... I just feel that after the scoli surgery I want to be competely done. no more procedures, no surgeries, just rest and recuperate. I need to get a cracked tooth fixed as well. It looks like I will be using some of the vacation time i have been saving.

I am trying to walk, that's about the extent of my exercise. I need to strengthen my arms, I need aerobic/ cardio exercise but I am exhausted by the time I get home from work. anyway- i have one month to exercise before this "less invasive" surgery on Aug 18, then I will probably have to rest for a few weeks. But I can continue walking , and I intend to. anyone have surgery before the scoli surgery? it's breast surgery ... I may have a drain, but it's NOT cancer Praise God, it's also not urgent surgery but I do not want to wait. thanks for sharing any tips- Jamie