Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest Chicken on here - surgery date Nov 4

<yikes>

OK, it's real- my surgery is scheduled for nov 4th. too paralyzed to write much right now. this too will pass. I keep saying "I wish this was over already"... so now- at least I have a date. thanks to all for sharing - without this forum, i would be stuck in limbo - undeciuded- for who knows how long? grateful to all - Jamie in TX
    57 years old.
    thoracic curve 68 degrees
    lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
    Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
    Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
    THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Jamie-- can't remember how many times I've read (and written) THAT is the biggest step in the whole process... setting the date. Making the decision. And you aren't the biggest chicken on here. Over the years there have been so many people who have taken a long time to make their decisions also. It's not one that many of us can just jump into, is it? I'm excited for you! You've just crossed the biggest hurdle. Hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Susie is right - deciding to go for it and setting the date is the most difficult part. Congrats Jammie! Waiting is hard, but not as difficult as making THE decision. Stay busy and ask all the questions you have.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Jamie

We all remember committing to our surgical dates.....these are dates we never forget.

I think that with all the thoughts and anxiety, that deep breathing often and of course running, really helped me with it all. I know I didn’t want to go in under some sort of med, I just figured I would try to deal with it on a natural level....

And we do finally realize that we need to have this done, and don’t have much of a choice in the matter....In the last few days I did feel a sort of release, and walked in without freaking out. It was about putting all my trust where it needs to be.

BTW, How is your neck?

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Setting the date is a big step. I don't think it is possible to "elect" to have this major surgery and not have anxiety. While I was a nervous wreck, I was also excited about getting a straight back!
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Congratulations in setting the date! Yes, it does take your breath away! Setting a wedding date was easy, compared to the surgery date. Where are you having your surgery? Who is your surgeon?

You have set he date that will change your life, that is, you will be able to look forward to a more active life.

You are going in the right direction. Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
              Congratulations in setting the date! Yes, it does take your breath away! Setting a wedding date was easy, compared to the surgery date. Where are you having your surgery? Who is your surgeon?

You have set he date that will change your life, that is, you will be able to look forward to a more active life.

You are going in the right direction. Susan
              Susan,

You made me chuckle by saying that setting a wedding date was easier :-) Love your sense of humor!

Comment

Congratulations on setting your date. I had a chuckle - I well remember my opening post here about 6 years ago, calling myself a woos. Everyone said, "What's a woos?" A woos is a terrible scaredy cat. But by the time my date arrived, I couldn't wait for it to be over and get on with the business of recovering. Best wishes for your journey.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Just say to yourself:

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain."

I said it to myself over and over before my surgery! And yes, I am a sci-fi nerd...
                  Surgery June 18 by Dr. Errico at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases at age 41.
                  Fused T10-Pelvis.
                  "Ask me about my brand new lordosis!"

Comment

congratulations Jamie...
                    you are not the biggest chicken...
                    you are a brave courageous woman...
                    there is NO doubt about that...
                    so if you do not believe that...you are the only
                    doubter...

the rest of people who know you, know you are brave.

best wishes for an uneventful procedure and boring simple
                    uncomplicated recovery...
                    jess...and Sparky

Comment

Hi Jamie! I'm right there with you - sometimes the anxiety is overwhelming! We'll be going through this 'together' . . . I'm waiting on confirmation for a date in late October. Where will you be having your surgery?
                      Peg
                      61 yrs old
                      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

been staying away

hello again... well, I started reading and re-reading the revision posts, and it can be discouraging., I think " what if , next year I will be posting here- saying I need a revision?" AAACK> so I've deliberately avoided the forum. I'm calm, I am trying to walk - the surgeon wants me to do physical therapy for conditioning, but I don't know how I'll be able to fit it into my schedule. so I'm trying to walk and I will add core strengthening too. i will post more tomorrow... thank you for all the support. Yes, I wanted the surgery in Oct. but the office called with Nov 4 so that's my date!
                        57 years old.
                        Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                        Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>

Comment

reasons

just to remind myself: why am I choosing to have surgery?
                          1. my spine is not going to get better by itself, no way, no how.
                          2. my spine has a good chance of getting worse with age ( osteoporosis, DJD, etc)
                          3. my spine is already trying to fuse itself- hence, the pain I had in my neck, and a lot of the pain I have now
                          4. the goal: pain relief would be wonderful, but my real goal is stabilization. I want to stabilize the curves so it will NOT worsen with age.

I also want to be more active, I want to walk again I would love to travel.

so these are my reasons. sharing with everyone, but also posting to remind myself why I am choosing to do this. will post more tomorrow thanks to all - sorry so brief tonight, jamie in TX
                          57 years old.

Comment

Jamie,

Try do not read Revisions section anymore. You've made THE decision and just look forward in your future, past the surgery. The forum is a great source of knowledge and support, but it can be a very scary place too. We all know about risks and complications, and I am sure you did your homework... but now you need to block out any scary stories.

Have you tried yoga? It helped me to calm down my nerves before the surgery. Also, please keep things in the perspective - it was said many times that we are all different, and I want to retiorate it again - some people see a glass as half-empty and others as half-full... Best of luck to you!

Comment

Jamie, Irina said it and I will reinforce her suggestion. Do not read the revisions section or the "I am sorry that I had surgery" sections. Been there, read them all and it does not help confidence! Loved your reasons for surgery.

One time when I was at the hospital and went for an X-ray, I saw an older woman with a huge kyphosis who was pretty much doubled it. I said to myself, "that could be me in 10 years". I swear she was a plant to convince me! After my coronal balance went to 11 something, one of the spinal surgeons said that "if I did not consider surgery, he would be surprised".

Age is never our friend when it comes to healing. You have a great attitude! Susan
                              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
                              X