PDA

View Full Version : One Year Anniversary Today 3/31

Radiogirl
03-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi Everyone! It's been one year ago today since my surgery. I want to say to all of you contemplating this....I am glad I did and can do just about anything I did before surgery. I go to power yoga 3 or 4 times a week and actually feel better when I do go than when I don't go! They say yoga is the oil can for the tin man!!! :) I don't go back for my one year follow up until 5/25, so I don't have any technical specs for you, but I can tell you that I can take a full breath, and am in no pain. I do have a tightness feeling in my back and still a bit of numbness where the nerves are healing, but nothing painful. Sometimes I do lay on a heating pad if it's cold and rainy or snowy out, and that takes away any discomfort I have. I couldn't have gone through all of this without this forum and reading word for word what everyone went through. If I can be of any help, let me know. I wish you all the best!!!
Laura

JenniferG
03-31-2011, 11:51 PM
Congratulations Laura. Wonderful to hear you doing so well. Do you think you're 100% yet?

Doodles
04-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Laura--
You have had a pretty remarkable recovery. I'm in awe of your power yoga! I would love to be able to do that. Congratulations. Janet

sarahcant
04-01-2011, 08:02 AM
I am only two weeks out and so happy to see that you are doing so well after a year. Here in NY they have yoga classes for people with rods and without. How did you find a yoga class that had modifications for you? I am planning on going into the city for the classes but would like to find something closer. You look wonderful. We are the same age. I hope I come out of this as well as you!

Sarahcant
march 15 2010
dr. errico
T5 C1
nyu

Lilysaidwhat
04-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Sarah which studio has these classes? Info please!

Congrats Laura on your anniversary! I am 6 weeks out and longingly watching my yoga shows on tv, wondering what and when I'll get back to it. Meanwhile my PT added cat to my exercises and my pelvic flexibility is improving... so I am hopeful.

And a full deep breath! Congrats on that! I can't wait to be there again.

trulyaries
04-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Having just had surgery with Dr. Lenke, I jump on any progress reports from his patients. I hope a year from now I have just as positive a report as you do. Contratulations!

kennedy
04-01-2011, 02:21 PM
laura congrads

KathK
04-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Laura,
Wonderful to hear how well you are doing! You are such a success story! Your correction was great and your recovery smooth. I will be 8 months post-op tomorrow and I also almost always feel tightness in my back and also still have numbness. Please keep us posted on how your back feels as you go beyond the 1 year point.

backissues
04-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary!! You look great!! It is amazing how the doctors can rearrange our bodies.

Enjoy!

Irene

golfnut
04-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Congratulations, Laura! I can't imagine Power Yoga, but it's good to hear that I might eventually be able to do it. I was taking a spinning/power yoga combination class before surgery that I really liked. You've made me hopeful that eventually I might get back to it. I'm also one of Dr. Lenke's patients so it's good to hear success stories. I remember looking at your before and after pictures before I had my surgery. They were amazing.

golfnut
04-02-2011, 08:53 AM
When you saw Dr. Lenke, did he mention your fusion? Dr. Lenke has told me that I will be able to play golf after 1 year, but I'd like to be assured that I'm totally fused before I start taking full swings and booking a golf trip to Florida for Feb. I'm not sure if x-rays show fusion or if it has to be a CT scan.

ADMoul
04-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Hi Laura,
Great to hear from another member of the "class of 2010." It is just so amazing when you look back on what we went through and how far we've come. I recently started some PT for conditioning and the therapist could not believe my x-rays. He expected someone far more debilitated and he even asked if he could use my case in a presentation. It's amazing how even people in the medical field perceive someone with a fused spine!
Anyway, wishing you continued healing and enjoyment of life!