Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Chiropractor helping to avoid surgery

http://news.streetroots.org/2016/08/...topped-me-once

I have just seen it in ESPN. This is the Chiropractor http://www.spine-health.com/doctor/c...rn-new-york-ny

Originally posted by flerc View Post
    Not sure what your point is - there are many of these success stories and it is great news for this dancer. I doubt that the chiropractor had anything to do with it. She has obviously kept her back strong; she says herself she still has limitations and the scoliosis clearly was not the type to progress to a level where there was no option but surgery.

Comment

The chiro did nothing obviously. Don't be so naive.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

She said that surgeons recommended her to take surgery but she refused it and this Chiropractor helped her to make possible her dream. It's what I saw in TV.

Comment

Without radiographs it's all nonsense. Obviously. She is probably mistaken about what the surgeon actually said to her. Don't be so naive.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I'm not so naive to think as you want, I have not any reason to be so sure that this girl is lying or confused with something so important for her. Also not to be sure that ESPN may be so irresponsible to allow to say something so important not being true.
            Last edited by flerc; 09-06-2016, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I'm not so naive to think as you want, I have not any reason to be so sure that this girl is lying or confused with something so important for her. Also not to be sure that ESPN may be so irresponsible to allow to say something so important not being true.
              We all know that TV and the Papers present things slightly differently from the real 'sometimes prosaic' truth. I know countless people with untreated scoliosis who are told that 'if' it progresses to a certain level then surgery is an option.

This is not the same as 'surgeons saying you need surgery'. She is not lying - the story is 'worked' to make it newsworthy. Papers like a story! Cant believe you believe all you read in the papers and TV!

If the chiropractor did manual adjustments and fixed a scoliosis then he would be making millions. This chiropractor should talk to Scolismart. That would be a good conversation ( haha) . All the money and effort they spend promoting neurotransmitter re-training et al. and then they find one of their own kind letting this girl think that a basic chiro move( adjustment) is all that is needed ( haha)

Comment

I saw a video of her dancing that showed her back. Without radiographs we can't know but it doesn't appear that she has a large curve. Her shoulders appear almost even. She mentions an "S" curve but we don't know that both curves are structural. If true that she doesn't now have a large curve, because chiro can't reduce the curve, she probably was never near surgical range.

There is ample evidence that patients and their parents misunderstand surgeons all the time. I have misunderstood our surgeon and written about it here. This is not news. Or I should say it shouldn't be news. The naivete exhibited in the OP is breath-taking.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

There is a serious point to be made here.

Articles like this do a lot of damage- it is difficult enough for sufferers of scoliosis to get any decent treatment; especially any non-surgical treatment. Articles like this that trivialise and suggest that doctors know nothing etc. are not doing any of us any favours. Their lack of clarity, confusion of terms and general inaccuracies do great harm. They lower morale, make it difficult for patients to communicate effectively and generally put back any willingness from the medical profession to advance treatment in general.

It is up to us patients to police such articles, in general this is what I see on forums such as these. In UK The Daily Mail is very fond of publishing articles such as these. The forum members post them but only to re-assure members that such claims are rubbish.

It is people with a 'hidden agenda' and who are not intelligent enough to see the full picture that promote them in the way that Flerc has. Do you seriously think (Flerc) with all your experience that this article is accurate and might actually help someone with scoliosis?

Comment

Burdle, excellent post clearly written. Thanks.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I agree this article is nonsense and agree with everything burdle said. Chiropractor did nothing and can't do nothing that other forms of massage can't. That is help with the pain, but structuraly they can't do nothing in terms of reducing or stoping progression of the curve. I even think they can make it worse by all that forcefull manipulation of vertebras. I would never as a person with scoliosis let any of these people touch my back.

Comment

Agreed.

Chiro is not a science. It sits on a thrown of imaginary concepts.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by burdlePooka1 View Post
                          Articles like this do a lot of damage- it is difficult enough for sufferers of scoliosis to get any decent treatment; especially any non-surgical treatment. Articles like this that trivialise and suggest that doctors know nothing etc. are not doing any of us any favours. Their lack of clarity, confusion of terms and general inaccuracies do great harm. They lower morale, make it difficult for patients to communicate effectively and generally put back any willingness from the medical profession to advance treatment in general.

It is up to us patients to police such articles, in general this is what I see on forums such as these. In UK The Daily Mail is very fond of publishing articles such as these. The forum members post them but only to re-assure members that such claims are rubbish.

It is people with a 'hidden agenda' and who are not intelligent enough to see the full picture that promote them in the way that Flerc has. Do you seriously think (Flerc) with all your experience that this article is accurate and might actually help someone with scoliosis?
                          I have posted this article only because I saw what it says in ESPN and I cannot post that TV program. Of course I would not have posted nothing of this if ESPN would not have done that. Is difficult to me to imagine them doing something so serious as you say they did. Are you really sure that they can do something so serious as you are saying? If you think that I'm wrong, you may look for this TV program.

Anyway is great to be in a forum with people so wise and intelligent. I think that during growth, if a great flexibility as I heard that some Chiropractors are able to achieve and using a brace like it seems that this girl did, surgery may be avoided, but it seems that you are sure chiropractors cannot do that or it would be useless anyway. Of course you must to know the scientist explanation about why this is not possible, I hear you.
                          Thanks in advance.

Comment

I have posted this article only because I saw what it says in ESPN and I cannot post that TV program. Of course I would not have posted nothing of this if ESPN would not have done that.
                            To post something in favor of Chiropractic in this forum without nothing to support it, would be like entering to the wolf cave with a revolver but without bullets.

Comment

According to this, she had a 32 degree curve. Obviously she wasn't told she needed surgery then but may need surgery if it progresses. Maybe the chiro said she needed surgery for a 32 degree curve. LOL

Paige Fraser, a company member with Visceral Dance Chicago in Chicago, IL, was diagnosed with a 32-degree curve when she was a freshman in high school. One orthopedist suggested she undergo surgery. “But my dad wasn’t comfortable with that,” Fraser says. “We found a chiropracter who dealt specifically with dancers and scoliosis. I saw him twice a week for a few months, and wore a back brace throughout high school. My spine responded well to that treatment.”
                              http://www.dancespirit.com/your-body...ings-straight/

-------------

At 1:44 is a picture of her back showing the curve. It is hard to eyeball but she appears to be highly rotated now and I am guessing the curve now is much larger than 32 degrees.

http://www.wciu.com/videos/youandme/...ssional-dancer
                              Last edited by Pooka1; 09-11-2016, 07:37 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X