Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update

Hi friends! (sorry I don't know where that smiley came from and I can't get it to go away!)

I had my routine x-ray with Dr. Shaffrey yesterday, and it measured the same lumbar, with improvement in the thoracic curve, the Assistant doctor Tanya told me. Lumbar stands at 50 which seemed worse but they said that within 5 degrees is normal variation- and I'd come in the afternoon. Dr. Shaffrey came in with his confident stride, saying that it looked better. I wasn't that convinced, but he said the thoracic was down 4 degrees and the lumbar was the same. He said to keep up what I am doing and to stay strong and fit. He said that the main indicator of scoliosis is pain and function limitation, not the measure of the curve. That was interesting! He said to come back in 2 years barring any unusual pain, and realizing the cool, damp days of November always bring discomfort. I asked about lung function and he said that's not an issue in my case since the curve is not a severe thoracic curve.

He said most people will experience progression in their 60s and 70s; if it comes to surgery at that time, we'll deal with that then. He said he's doing surgery on an 82 yr. old lady later-- and it's fine to wait that long - to wait until it's a dire necessity due to pain or limited function. I asked about different activities, and he said he has patients at 50 degress who do intensive, moderate, and low-intensity activity. Some won't give up running, he said. Basically you do whatever your body lets you do, and can do, the assistant Dr. told me (she was extremely knowledgeable and helpful in regard to other symptoms I experience also).

He said to have a blood test at my primary care physician's every 6 months to monitor kidney and liver function if I take the NSAID regularly, which I don't. And to keep the bones strong through exercise.

So, I will put my worrying aside, having found out that what I am doing is working to hold the curve. Whether it was the Earth shoes, the swimming, the walking, I know the balance ball chair helps...twice daily stretches from Twists and Curves book, and now I'm starting Egoscue lessons at my gym.... I will keep on keeping on. Life is not perfect, but it's manageable...as is the case in most lives, with or without scoliosis... thanks for listening, forum Friends!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dailystrength; 08-26-2011, 09:27 AM.
    34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
    Current: 50L, 28T

Thank you, Hdugger!

Comment

Dailystrength, I have just read your post. What a great news!

Originally posted by dailystrength View Post
      He said that the main indicator of scoliosis is pain and function limitation, not the measure of the curve.
      I know some professionals saying exactly the same. What a pity those surgeons are so far..

Comment

Wonderful news Daily Strength! I am so happy for you :-))

Comment

keeping on...

Thank you so much, Friends! Keeping in touch - haven't logged in in a little bit. Keeping active at the gym swimming and some yin yoga, and I've learned Egoscue exercises - all this takes an hour or more a day, but my pain is minimal and no medication.

Comment

Originally posted by dailystrength View Post
            Thank you so much, Friends! Keeping in touch - haven't logged in in a little bit. Keeping active at the gym swimming and some yin yoga, and I've learned Egoscue exercises - all this takes an hour or more a day, but my pain is minimal and no medication.
            I haven't seen anything from you in forever! I'm glad you're holding on. I just finally looked at my x-rays from last March, and there is a little progression. That's frustrating because the x-rays are only a year apart. My mom gave me a treadmill. It's awesome! I started on it the other day and walked a mile. I'd like to do that every day, but I need to get my rear end out of bed early enough to be done before the grandson comes over. When I get into my routine, I know I'll feel better. I hope you keep feeling okay.

Minimal pain is all that I can ask for right now, and as far as the pain meds it's variable for me depending on the day. I take Ultram every 8 hours round the clock and it seems to decrease my necessity for the "real" narcotics. NSAIDS are out. I've taken too many over the years and they just attack my stomach something terrible.

Take care and keep in touch!
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
            X