So glad I found you guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
    I guess they need to re-name it the “magic bus”?

So glad to hear about Elias.

Ed
    That is a great idea Ed! Everything about this journey has been totally magical, including the bus.

I'll have to measure and weigh Elias but I am almost certain he has gained another inch, which would make him 6'1" and I'd guess that he's gained about 25lbs. since last April. We will see.
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• Hi Elisa,

It is great to hear from you, and I am so glad that Elias is doing so well. I am just amazed at how the time has flown by since his surgery.

Have a good spring, and please keep us posted after his April visit.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• I am so glad to hear that all is going so well with your son and may it continue as he grows
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by walid View Post
          ... the wonderful wizard of portland!!
          Hi! I've been worried about you and Walid, since we haven't heard hide nor hair about how Walid's procedure went. It's nice to hear that you are in good spirits. I wish you all the best!

Elisa,
          It's great to hear that Elias has grown so much and is doing so well! It really does sound like he has his life back, and in turn, you do, too! I wish you all the best, too!
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

• It's so great to hear that Elias is doing so well. If that magic school bus is stopping anywhere near Seattle, maybe we could try to meet...
            Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
            Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
            Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

• how wonderful for your son! i hope his life does nothing but expand
              in all areas...there is nothing that will stop him now!

i was just wondering whether you pursued anything with the hospital
              in Canada that had you waiting and waiting...and did not consider
              your son to need emergency care....?
              or did you just decide to look to the future and let it go...?
              everytime i see a post from someone from Canada, i shudder when
              i think of the policies there...of what is and is not an emergency
              in their eyes!
              my sister in Montreal always told me emergencies are taken care of immediately....
              i gotta tell her that they need to reconsider their definition of
              emergency....apparently, if one is breatheing, it is not an emergency....?!!

best wishes...
              jess

Comment

• So happy that everything's going great for Elias! Thanks for updating!
                Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

• Thanks for keeping us updated. Glad to hear that he is doing so well
                  Melissa

Comment

• Thank you all for your responses and encouragement. I just spoke with Shriners appointment people and we will be heading back down to Portland, OR at the end of April as Elias has a one year post op checkup with Dr. Krajbich on April 26th. I am almost positive his xrays will look good and everything will prove to be just fine. It is a bit of a distance to travel and the round trip takes about five days to get back up to Canada and across to Vancouver Island but Shriners treat us really well and it is so good to see the drivers and hospital staff alike, as well as it's great to meet other BC families who journey down on the big cushy bus. I hear they have a brand new bus now and it has wifi. Elias will definitely like that. I spend most of my time chatting with the driver/wife and the other passengers. I can't believe it's been almost a year now since his second surgery/traction. He is doing really really well. I really appreciate all the great advice and support I have received on this forum. Thanks again.

Comment

• Have a good trip!
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Hope you have a great trip
                        Melissa

Comment

• Sorry to be chiming in so late, but I am thrilled that Elias is doing so well. His journey (and yours) had been incredible and inspirational. All the best to you and your family going forward.
                          mariaf305@yahoo.com
                          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• Thanks Maria. You and the gang have been a real inspiration to us too. I honestly have no idea what we'd have done without you guys. :-)
                            Attached Files

Comment

• What Maria said! Look forward to hearing all about it.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                                how wonderful for your son! i hope his life does nothing but expand
                                in all areas...there is nothing that will stop him now!

i was just wondering whether you pursued anything with the hospital
                                in Canada that had you waiting and waiting...and did not consider
                                your son to need emergency care....?
                                or did you just decide to look to the future and let it go...?
                                everytime i see a post from someone from Canada, i shudder when
                                i think of the policies there...of what is and is not an emergency
                                in their eyes!
                                my sister in Montreal always told me emergencies are taken care of immediately....
                                i gotta tell her that they need to reconsider their definition of
                                emergency....apparently, if one is breatheing, it is not an emergency....?!!

best wishes...
                                jess
                                Hi Jess, no I have not pursued anything with BC Children's Hospital and I'm not even sure what/how to go about it. If anyone has any advice then by all means share and I'll do what I can on my end. Mostly I am just relieved that we were directed to the Shriners and I take every opportunity that I can to direct others to them if they're having difficulties with their own medical system. I have had a lot of people contact me through my blog and they have also had good success with Shriners USA & Canada so that really makes me feel as though I am doing something positive for parents and their kids. I am still very very angry with what happened with us but am moving on but will never forget and will never forgive.

Comment

Working...
                                X