Scoliosis & Heavy Metal Allergy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i think the point has been made...
    ridicule and concern are 2 different things...but apparently, if one disagrees with the going consensus, then one is ridiculing, rather than giving a report of what happened to another adult patient who had his fillings removed...
    warnings are not insults...neither is it bullying...
    and i find it shocking that someone who likes to toss around insulting names calls others bullies!
    that said, i have no need to read this thread any longer...
    it seems pretty clear to me what type of info is being passed along...

i made my mistake in the 90's with an "alternative tx"...
    my friend made his mistake around 2003, with zero improvement...
    i am not saying all alternative treatments don't work...but certain ones have been shown not to work
    i learned what i needed to back then about making up my own mind, and i do not fear others who have opinions other than my own!

i have no further interest in those so afraid of an honest report and honest opinion that they must denigrate those who do not agree with them..

who exactly is the bully now?!

and i wouldn't knock being American...some of us consider it a privilege and a blessing! and some of us are not afraid of opinions...for we know that is all they are...opinions...allowable in America...
    the 12 step saying..."take what you like and leave the rest" apparently isn't known in some countries...

jess
    Last edited by jrnyc; 03-22-2011, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• I'll say it one last time as it doesn't seem to be getting through:

I don't mind a difference of opinion
      I don't mind well-meaning warnings
      I don't mind people rejecting an idea I have put forward
      I don't mind honest and frank advice which is contrary to what I believe
      I don't mind others sharing their own experiences which contradict what I have suggested

All I have ever minded is insults and ridicule but I guess we will have to agree to differ as to what is regarded as such.

You should also remember that this website serves more than just the USA but sadly the actions of a few can reflect badly on the whole culture. I know that there are those here who have been perfectly civil and friendly while not necessarily agreeing with my posts and I persisted purely for their benefit. However, if the general experience becomes thoroughly unpleasant then one cannot be blamed for giving up on it.
      Last edited by AndreaM; 03-23-2011, 06:03 AM.

Comment

• The difference between: personal experience, opinion and science-based?

For me a person's experience with a therapy holds validity.

When a person shares what happened to him/her how can that be a criticism???

My opinion is derived from my own experience, that of an acquaintance or something learned from scientific studies.

I always found this forum to be an excellent venue for helping others who want to avoid mistakes seeking help for scoliosis as well as adressing the problem.

When I first consulted this forum, in the original form 9 years ago, I posted my situation. I was 59 years old with an obviously progressing, fused scoliosis curve.
        Linda Racine, bless her, suggested right off the bat, to consult a revision surgeon because a regular ortho would just "throw up his hands".

I was not hurt or insulted. It saved me unnecessary expense, aggravation and possibly wrong medical decisions. The rest is my success story.

On the other hand, one must be ready to take in that information.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

• Karen,

I had no problem with the comments you made earlier in the thread. You have every right to state your opinion of a therapy, even if it is a negative one. There were other comments from Linda and others which did not bother me either, despite them not supporting what I had posted. I am perfectly open to such comments. The only ones which annoyed me were those which had nothing to do with debating the subject in question but which crossed the line into personal insults, particularly when they were between two others but were about me.

Comment

• yes, Karen
            some people WANT all the information they can get, to make an informed decision..
            but some do not, even while they protest that they do

i have had insults thrown at me on this very forum, some in this very thread
            they roll off my back
            i am a big girl
            i do not take opinions of those who do not know me to be important!
            i "take what i like and leave the rest"

what you just posted, Karen, is so clear and true..
            i do not need to add another thing..

jess

Comment

• I stated that I would come back and give the result of my recent Heavy Metal Sensitivity Test, for the benefit of those who showed at least a passing interest. I actually sought the test from another place and received the result today:

Reference Intervals:
              Up to 100 = normal
              100 - 200 = borderline
              Over 200 = definite sensitivity

Mercury (inorganic) - 180
              Mercury (organic) - 230
              Nickel - 310
              Cadmium - 80
              Aluminium - 130
              Antimony - 60
              Titanium - 140
              Tin - 210
              Silver - 90
              Gold - 185
              Copper - 50
              Lead - 55

As can be seen, I have a definite sensitivity to organic mercury, nickel and tin and borderline sensitivity to inorganic mercury, aluminium, titanium and gold.

I intend to wait until my own doctor has received a copy of the results, and the private doctor's interpretation of it, before I decide what I will do about it. I was given a copy of the report to my doctor so am absolutely sure that I need to address the toxicity, the majority of which is suspected to come from my amalgam fillings.

For those who are interested, there are also the following links, all of which mention a link between mercury and skeletal muscle:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10963110
              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC490489/
              http://scoliosis.researchtoday.net/
              http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es0483490
              http://www.scoliosiscorrectioncenter...is-Surgery.htm

Comment

• Please let us know what your doctor says about your test results. I'd love to hear. I think maybe the issue is whether mercury is associated with scoliosis. Perhaps some sort of metal allergy is causing your other symptoms, but there doesn't seem to be an identifiable cause of scoliosis from mercury in any cases that I can find.

Have you run across any studies that show scoliosis forms in those people exposed to large doses of mercury? Obviously, central nervous system problems occur in cases of mercury exposure, but I'd be interested in seeing any cases of scoliosis occurring. I haven't run across any.

Please keep us updated, it would be nice to think you could get some help based off of this test for some of your symptoms.

Comment

• Hi Ballet Mom,

Yes, my main concern is to hopefully improve my general health now. I know my scoliosis was a lost cause once I had surgery.

Did you look at the links I supplied? I found them interesting, particularly the 3rd one:
                  http://scoliosis.researchtoday.net/ which describes what happened in birds:

"Some deformities, such as lordosis and scoliosis (twisting of the spine), misshapen heads, shortening or twisting of the neck, and deformities of the wings, were seldom observed in controls, but occurred in much greater frequency in mercury-treated individuals."

And the 5th link: http://www.scoliosiscorrectioncenter...is-Surgery.htm

"I had scoliosis surgery 34 years ago and had a Harrington Rod inserted................
                  In recent years I have been plagued by a variety of health problems -- severe chronic fatigue and urinary tract irritability (potentially interstitial cystitis), along with chronic pain in my lower back and, more recently, much pain in my left hip where the bone graft was done. We have traced the chronic fatigue to high heavy metal levels (lead, mercury and copper). The heavy metal levels were determined via a 24 hour urine provocation test which measured the levels in my tissues."

Not proof, and I doubt it will ever be able to be proven, but I find them significant. I sure know that if I had a child who had just been diagnosed with scoliosis, the first thing I'd be doing is having them tested for heavy metal sensitivity before agreeing to any surgery.

Comment

• Yes, I did see the thread on birds, but there should be some sign of scoliosis in humans also, especially in places such as Minamata in Japan with the mercury poisoning.

I know that mercury effects are watched in areas with coal mining, etc. Do the areas surrounding coal-fired power plants have an increased risk of scoliosis occurring in the population? It just seems like it would be fairly simple to prove one way or the other if scoliosis was being caused by mercury.

I think the best thing would be for the professor who believes this theory to show her studies and evidence and let people see if it stands up to criticism or not. I mean, has she shown that scoliosis patients all have an allergy to mercury? Has she published anything to prove her case or at least put the facts out she thinks proves her case?

Originally posted by AndreaM View Post
                    I sure know that if I had a child who had just been diagnosed with scoliosis, the first thing I'd be doing is having them tested for heavy metal sensitivity before agreeing to any surgery.
                    Good point. Don't surgeons test for this at all prior to surgery? I know they do for nickel, I'm pretty sure.

Anyhow, good luck to you in your search for some relief.
                    Last edited by Ballet Mom; 04-08-2011, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Hi Ballet Mom,

I agree with what you are saying about studies needing to be done (if they haven't been done already). I really don't know how much investigation has been done into incidence of scoliosis among groups exposed to higher amounts of mercury. I think scoliosis is being suggested as just one complication, another being MS, but it follows that it would not necessarily manifest itself the same way in patients, just like all other kinds of conditions.

Coincidentally, I spoke to a woman today who has both scoliosis and MS and asked if she had amalgam fillings. She has quite a few! She didn't seem concerned or consider there may be being a link and that's fine. We all make our own choices.

The standard tests for mercury toxicity are not generally reliable. For those who have a problem detoxifying metals, the toxin is only present briefly in the blood before being deposited into tissue around the body so it will not show up in the blood, hair or urine and, because of this, those with toxicity may well show less presence of heavy metals than a healthy person. This would seem to be correct as I actually ordered a hair analysis test before I knew about this and it didn't show any problem but it did confirm that I had a slow metabolism, so that part at least agreed with the next test.

Rather bizarrely, I read that crematorium workers register a higher degree of mercury toxicity due to the vapour released from the incinerated bodies of those with amalgam fillings!

I am not interested in joining the crusade against mercury in dentistry and vaccinations. My main concern now is to get well but I feel I have to make others aware where I can of the possibility of toxicity if only in thanks for finally getting to the root (no pun intended) of my own problem.

Comment

• It is now almost a year since I last updated this thread and promised I would do this for the benefit of those who showed an interest.

I had all my amalgam fillings safely replaced in May/June 2011. I had some increased symptoms for a month or so, almost certainly due to an inevitable small amount of mercury exposure during removal.

I then attended a private clinic which has an excellent reputation for treating this problem. The doctor also recognised that I had intestinal bacterial overgrowth and treated me for that first. The quite awful die-off symptoms confirmed it but I am now clear of it and have a much calmer digestive system and bowel.

I was then started on supplements to support my system during mercury removal. It has been a very difficult few months due to detox symptoms but I am now seeing a definite improvement. My last set of blood tests in February showed that I had reduced my load of organic mercury but inorganic mercury (the one associated with amalgam) had increased but this was likely due to the mercury being mobilised but not yet excreted by the body. My level of tin and nickel have come down significantly. Also, the amount of tin attached to cell walls has reduced from 7% to zero and mercury has reduced from 22% to 10% and my mitochondrial function has considerably improved.

In light of these improvements, I am now making another attempt to reduce the level of B12 and folate treatment I need to take. I am very pleased with the progress made so far and that is despite not being able to have the infusions which are normally given, due to my location.

One other discovery I made is very significant. I always blamed the 'flu jab for my sudden deterioration, since it was given at exactly that time. However, I recently discovered that I had ordered low-energy light bulbs through the post and there had been a breakage inside the package. I opened the sealed package indoors on my lap and undoubtedly will have inhaled a significant amount of mercury vapour from the broken bulb and released when I opened the box. This was six days before the 'flu jab. To put this into perspective, the US Environmental Agency gives the maximum safe level of mercury as 0.03mcg. The 'flu jab contains 0.8mcg (26x) and one bulb contains at least 5mg (160,000x). This is all still a drop in the ocean compared to just one average amalgam filling, which has around 500mg, and I had sixteen of them - 250million times the maximum safe level! Nobody is going to tell me this is safe and won't cause any problems.
                        Last edited by AndreaM; 03-17-2012, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• many flu shots are mercury free

Andrea,

You are obviously not aware that many flu shots are now mercury-free. All single-dose flu shots are free of any trace of mercury, and if you are concerned you can ask for and easily receive that one.

I think it is very irresponsible, not to mention off-topic, to try and scare people who have a genuine need for surgery with all these scare tactics about fillings and metal. Believe me, nobody has this surgery unless they truly need it. I am unclear what your motivation is for posting this misinformation on this forum. It is not helpful.
                          Gayle, age 50
                          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• AndreaM's post is stem-to-stem quackery.

It confuses which forms of mercury are toxic and which are not.

It includes patent pseudoscience that cannot be from any reputable scientific course.

There is no evidence whatsoever for any of the wacky claims.

The numbers don't add up.

For people who have rare diseases or who just can't get the right diagnosis, it seems any explanation, no matter how patently counterfactual, can help in a placebo type way. I hope thinking all that stuff does make her feel better.
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• I see this forum has reverted to form - resorting to insults.

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                              You are obviously not aware that many flu shots are now mercury-free
                              Yes, I am aware - now that I know about its inclusion in some vaccines. I didn't know at the time else I would have asked.

I think it is very irresponsible, not to mention off-topic, to try and scare people who have a genuine need for surgery with all these scare tactics about fillings and metal. Believe me, nobody has this surgery unless they truly need it. I am unclear what your motivation is for posting this misinformation on this forum. It is not helpful.
                              Just because there are those who completely reject all notion of mercury possibly being implicated in any medical problem, does not mean it isn't. I have never said it is definitely the cause of anyone's particular problem, but if they have the information then they can decide whether or not it is worth pursuing. Why would someone be scared by what I have posted? Surely, no parent would subject their child to surgery if there was a possibility of finding out the root cause of their scoliosis, particularly when all it involves is a blood test? My only motivation is to give people the information which their health professional won't give them. What they do with it is entirely up to them.

Why are people sticking their heads in the sand over this issue? If it is there then it needs to be dealt with. There are those of us who have had proper accredited tests, and so for others to pretend it is all a figment of our imagine is completely ridiculous. There is already plenty of scientific evidence of mercury toxicity causing scoliosis in fish and birds so why wouldn't it do the same in humans?

http://www.treatycouncil.org/PDF/IIT..._the_Child.pdf

"Mercury, a heavy metal . . . becomes methyl mercury in the environment and permeates the food chain.
                              Methylmercury is a deadly neurotoxin that bioaccumulates in fish and in women’s bodies who eat fish before and during pregnancy. Developing fetuses then receive twice this concentration of mercury through their mother’s umbilical cord. After birth, children are exposed through breast milk and eating contaminated fish. Mercury Exposure to the fetus and young children causes permanent physical and neurological damage, cancers, kidney damage, cardiovascular and immune system disorders.

The list of her own health problems continues including: scoliosis,
                              Continued heath effects on her children, grandchildren and other family members include: . . . scoliosis,"

http://curetoothdecay.com/blog/mayo-...cury-fillings/

"In the case of Laurie Ramos, she had been in excellent health until the winter of 98 – 99. *Laurie’s spine went from being straight to being curved over 13 cm. off center over the course of about 18 months. Her floating ribs on one side of her body were actually went below her hip bone, and she had to carry her head on her shoulder. *When she went to the doctor, do you know what her osteopath told her? *He told her to go home and do some yoga!
                              Laurie ended up seeing a physical therapist, having multiple MRIs done, and even considering surgery. *She was experiencing a great deal of pain, muscle spasms, and difficulty breathing. *Every specialist she went to told her to go to a different specialist, and no one seemed to have an answer to her medical problems.
                              Eventually Laurie ended up going to Mayo Clinic, where she was diagnosed with cervical thoracic lumbar dystonia with torticollis and secondary neuromuscular scoliosis of “uncertain etiology.” *This is all the “professional” way of telling Laurie that she is having strange muscluar movements and spinal misalignment, and the doctors don’t really know what caused it. *Her “treatment” was a prescription for Dopamine, which is a neurotransmitter normally produced by the brain. *Strangely, Laurie was never diagnosed with a dopamine deficiency. *The exogenous use of dopamine caused Laurie to become depressed and it actually made her muscular spasms even worse.
                              Finally, a glimmer of hope came when a relative referred Laurie to a doctor in central Washington who hypothesized that Laurie’s condition might have resulted from having a root canal and several new amalgam fillings just prior to the onset of her condition. *In total, Laurie had 20 amalgam fillings! *Mercury from amalgam fillings is released into the body upon chewing, drinking hot beverages, and if tooth grinding occurs at night. *Over the course of many years, mercury can build up in the body and reach extremely toxic levels. *Laurie had received her first amalgam filling at age 7.
                              Laurie then had her fillings removed by a dentist who specializes in safe removal of amalgam fillings. *Following the removal of the fillings, Laurie went through a course of chelation treatments, in which heavy metals are removed from the body’s tissues. *After completing all rounds of chelation therapy, Laurie had completely recovered."

http://annaeadie.com/autism.aspx

"My son has tested positive for high toxic metal poisoning, (mercury, tin, antimony, arsenic, and others
                              My son and I both have very slight scoliosis of spine."

Comment

• Originally posted by AndreaM View Post
                                Why are people sticking their heads in the sand over this issue?
                                Because there is no evidence for any of these wacky claims.

There is already plenty of scientific evidence of mercury toxicity causing scoliosis in fish and birds so why wouldn't it do the same in humans?
                                Irrelevant even if true (and I doubt highly it is true) because only humans get AIS.
                                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X