No announcement yet.

Not the news we were hoping for or expecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting ready to load wife's 'burb up for her and the kids to leave for SC in the morning. Son has his pre surgery on Tuesday then family is going to Charlotte NC for two days. I fly up on Friday of next week and then the surgery is on Monday the 8th.

Comment

Good Luck - I'm glad it's finally here. Keep us updated!
      daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
      -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
      -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
      -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Wife still at Pre op

Called to tell me they are saying fusion of either T2 or T3 to L2 or L3. So basically we are saying he will have great posture but will not be able to duck well.

Comment

Surgery as started

Will be in until somewhere around 2PM eastern time. Last update (10:30) everything was going well.

I hate waiting, not being able to do anything.

Comment

We're praying...

Warmly,
            Doreen
            44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
            Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
            2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Out of surgery

33 hrs for actual surgery. Dr says better than 50% correction. He is in a lot of pain, but the pump helps. Sleeping right now.

Comment

Originally posted by LokanasDad View Post
                33 hrs for actual surgery. Dr says better than 50% correction. He is in a lot of pain, but the pump helps. Sleeping right now.

Was that done as one surgery? 33 hours. Mine was 15 hours

Melissa
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

sorry, typo. 3 hrs. i cannot imagine 33 hr surgery

Comment

hi Lokana's Dad
                    congratulations on getting the surgery done at Shriner's...i think, considering the screw ups at home with the MRI, etc, you made a great choice! i am sure your son will recover well...the young kids heal faster and easier, it seems...

just a note about school..please do not let anyone there bully you...your son now qualifies...temporarily...as needing special attention...special ed can be used for children who have temporary problems, like from surgery....there is a lot he will be entitled to...with a doctor's letter...and there are lawyers who specialize in this field....
                    no child has to be in school when a doctor or surgeon says they cannot be!!!
                    and your son may well be a candidate for home instruction.... temporarily
                    refer to the Disabilities Act...your son can be classified as disabled by your doctor..and taken out of that category when he has healed...also by your doctor's authority...
                    you have enough to worry about now without the school making it harder for you!!

best of luck
                    jess
                    Last edited by jrnyc; 08-09-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

congrads on your son surgery at shriner's. like jess said don't let his school bully you
                      Kara
                      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                      T4-L2
                      Before 50T
                      After 20T

Comment

So glad the surgery is over!

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but which Shriners hospital did you end up going to? (Not that you can go wrong with any of them, just curious)!

Best of luck,
                        mariaf305@yahoo.com
                        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Greenville SC. Rough night. Morphine makes him nauseous will with to oral today if we can get him to eat & hold down. Did great getting into chair. Abt 2 in taller.

Comment

Originally posted by LokanasDad View Post
                            Greenville SC. Rough night. Morphine makes him nauseous will with to oral today if we can get him to eat & hold down. Did great getting into chair. Abt 2 in taller.
                            Congratulations on getting thru surgery.

Did the surgeon clear him for eating and drinking? If his intestines aren't "awake" he might have horrible pain. Our surgeon restricted all food and drink until gut sounds were heard which happened on day 3 for both kids. Pain from eating and drinking too soon is predictable and it is a mystery why more surgeons aren't completey strict about this. It sounds lime a huge quandry if your son has to have food and drink just to get off morphine.

Good luck.
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

What a day (and it is not over yet). It is definitely the morphine. He had a nap after they switched meds and it was like a different person. He is bound and determined that it is not still Tuesday. Hit the morphine between pills got sick again (no food that time). Feels better now and eating chicken. He took 5 steps forward and 5 back moving from chair to bed earlier. He was in tears that he will have to face the chair again today.

Comment

Not such a good night last night. Got to the hospital this AM and he and Momma were sleeping with a do not disturb on the door. Apparently he had shallow breathing which kept setting the alarms off last night. Final chair last night went well. They kept him in the chair for an hour and a half. He asked for the chair at 7, said he wanted to get it over with and go to sleep. They put him in at 7:30 and put him to bed at 9. He laid down himself and pulled his feet up into bed himself.

When I got there this AM, nurse went in to check on him. He was in pain in his back and asked for a pillow under it. They said that doesn't usually help but let him put one under it. He liked it and has been sleeping almost an hour straight. I am going to try to get Momma to go to her Mom's house tonight and I stay at the hospital, but I do not know how successful I will be. Our two youngest are missing her. I leave to go back to FL tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X