MAGEC Magnetic Growth Rod Surgery - First U.S. Surgery: Anthony Wainess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
    Infantile Idiopathic Scolisis is said to be seen in more children of Northern European ancestry than in kids from anywhere else though. I don't know if there have been any formal studies done, but this belief is widespread amongst IIS surgeons and parents.
    I have certainly come across this claim a few times. I wonder if it is all anecdote or if someone has tried to determine the frequency.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Some statements in the literature in re increased prevalence of IIS in northern Europe, some of which is grey it seems so be cautious...

http://www.scoliosis-assoc.org/iFram...s=T&--db=data/[SM1_DATASOURCE]&--GROUP1field=[--GROUP1field]&--eqGROUP1datarq=[--eqGROUP1datarq]&pageid=55&BODY_PANEL_COLOR=

(Of IIS) This condition has always been more common in Great Britain and Northern Europe than in North America, but appears to be lessening in prevalence everywhere.
      No reference

--------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2822419/

Infantile idiopathic scoliosis (IIS) is more common in northern Europe.4 Most infants resolve their scoliosis with growth, while in others the deformity may undergo a very rapid, malignant curve progression.
      Reference = Lincoln TL. Infantile idiopathic scoliosis. Am J Orthop. 2007;36:586–90. [PubMed] Here is the abstract at least...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18075605

-----------

I might look around some more later.
      Last edited by Pooka1; 07-20-2013, 01:09 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

By the way, the statement about most IIS resolving on their own might explain some or most of Min Mehta's results with casting (i.e. large overtreatment factor).

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
          Understanding Genetic Factors in Idiopathic Scoliosis, a Complex Disease of Childhood

Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis hits pretty much everyone all around the world. I couldn't find a study link for infantile. But you might be right.
          This quote is about ADOLESCENT IS. We are talking about INFANTILE IS. The quote is irrelevant.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            By the way, the statement about most IIS resolving on their own might explain some or most of Min Mehta's results with casting (i.e. large overtreatment factor).
            I don't think so Sharon. I know this isn't your area, but IIS can be quite accurately determined as either the progressive or resolving type by measuring the Rib Vertebra Angle (RVAD) - Min Mehta did a lot of work on this and the papers are out there if you fancy learning more. Infants with a RVAD of less than 20 and with a curve below a certain degree (can't remember how large) whilst those with a RVAD above 20 are certain to have the progressive type. Mehta's promotion of serial casting has saved many kids from fusion. It's fascinating and amazing.

IIS is definitely a completely different beast to AIS, as you say.

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
              I don't think so Sharon. I know this isn't your area, but IIS can be quite accurately determined as either the progressive or resolving type by measuring the Rib Vertebra Angle (RVAD) - Min Mehta did a lot of work on this and the papers are out there if you fancy learning more. Infants with a RVAD of less than 20 and with a curve below a certain degree (can't remember how large) whilst those with a RVAD above 20 are certain to have the progressive type. Mehta's promotion of serial casting has saved many kids from fusion. It's fascinating and amazing.

IIS is definitely a completely different beast to AIS, as you say.
              Toni!

Okay then! Thank you for the correction! So they are able to identify which cases of IIS are progressive and which are not and she is casting only the progressive ones and the treatment is successful. Good to know!

I see it is completely different from AIS in many respects.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
              X