Megz update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megz update

I am Meghan's mom and I am writing an update for her because she is in quite a bit of pain yet. She has undergone two big operations on the 11th and 14th of this month. The first operation was about 8 hours long and they approached anterior and removed two vertebra and put in titanium cages and also did a posterior approach and put in the hardware in her back (T2-pelvis). She went directly to the Post Surgical ICU where she remained until mid afternoon on the 12th. She was transferred to the orthopedic floor until her next surgery on the 14th. In the ICU she received five units of blood and was intubated for about eight hours because she had so much swelling. She was also on the PCA pump for about 24 hours.

On Thursday morning she was again taken to the OR and this time for almost 10 hours. The doctor said it was difficult because she had so much blood loss and her bones were soft. He did not get the correction he had hoped for because the alarms went off twice during the procedure and he did not want to push it any more. She did fine and he did get the curves to 70 degrees and also got rid of the hump on her back. She was really happy about this. After this surgery she was taken to the Post Anesthesia Care Unit where she remained until Friday afternoon. Again, she had lots of swelling and was again intubated for 10 hours. She did well and was a lot braver than I would have been.

Once she was on the orthopedic floor she had a great room-mate. They got along well and were a good support to each other. She was weaned from the PCA pump after about 24 hours and this was not fun. She had lots of pain and could not get comfortable. Finally, she was put on Dilaudid and Tylenol every 3 hours and this seems to be doing the trick. Oh yes, I forgot but she is also receiving Valium every eight hours for back spasms and this seems to be her biggest complaint. She also has a TLS brace which she has to wear 23 out of 24 hours.

She was discharged to home on Wednesday, 1/20/10, and has been doing OK. Thursday was a real good day. Her grandmother, 98 years old, came to visit along with her uncle. She had the VNA nurse and physical therapist and did oh so well. At night two of her friends came to visit and brought pizza. At night her feet were very swollen and she was in pain. Thursday, Friday and Saturday were set backs so it seemed. Spent most of the time in bed, getting up only to go to the bathroom.

Sunday was the first shower since surgery. This was a major accomplishment because she had to climb a flight of stairs. She did a great job and the whole process probably took two hours. Needless to say after this she took a good nap.

Her eating is just starting to pick up a little. She had a turkey sandwich on Saturday and goulash on Sunday. She has been eating fruit, oranges and a banana. She does drink quite a bit. She does get a little discouraged, but I really think she is doing great.

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

please tell her that she is in my thoughts & prayers for healing & recovery!

jess

Comment

Oh my god! I am so happy to hear that she is ok. I can totally relate to her cause I am 30 years old with 90+ degree curves. Unfortunately, I am not that lucky and I can't not get insurance or afford this surgeries.... maybe some day. It's great to hear that she made it and she is recuperating already!!!
      Pilar
      Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
      Now age 32
      Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
      Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
      Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
      Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
      Dr. Robert Pashman
      Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
      Before and after xrays :
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Comment

Hi Meghans mom,

I too had A/P T2 Pelvis surgeries, and they are toughies....

It will be slow going for the first few weeks, basically I was in a survival mode, trying desperately to get some sleep, up at all hours, freezing to death.

Keep notes on medication intake,sleep, food, bowel movements for constipation. Constipation can be an issue.....

Even though quite a bit of healing is happening right now, is still is very painful. I spent a lot of time in a hot bath tub. It helped with the pain.

If you have any questions at all, definitely post.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

OMG Meaghan's Mom. She's certainly doing the hard yards. We knew it was going to be a biggie, and it was. But it's over and now all she has to do is heal and rest.

How did she handle being intubated? I know she was very nervous about that. I hope she was drugged up enough not to be very aware. The transfusion is not unusual, I had the same, then another unit a few days later.

Getting rid of the rib hump will make this all worthwhile. That's fantastic, I'm so happy for her. The remaining curves will be much more comfortable and better tolerated with that rib hump gone.

I'm happy for her. I hope she comes along well. After the initial few weeks, she will start to show improvement. Some good advice from Ed there.

All the very best Megz!
          Last edited by JenniferG; 01-25-2010, 03:10 AM.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Megz Mom, Whoa, what can i say! That's a lot to take in just one week, but really happy to see she got over the surgery hurdle. Please send my best wishes to her. I can't believe they weaned her off her pump after just 24 hours, what was their reasoning for this, considering her pain and muscle spasms? Just make sure she spends more time in bed than on her feet. Lots of rest definitely helped me in the first two weeks!
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Megz Mom--
              Thanks for the update. I'm sure she's so happy to have you there to help. During this time she will definitely need a lot of support. Give her my best. Things will slowly improve. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Meg's mom,

I have been looking for this update. I'm so glad that it is over and she is on the road to recovery. She has been in my prayers. When you say that the doctors removed two vertebrae, did you really mean the discs? I know it is probably a disappointment to her that they didn't get a better correction, but the main thing is to stop the progression and the pain, and I'm glad they were able to remove the rib hump. Please give her my love. I know the healing process is long and hard, but she is young and strong physically and mentally, so she will get through this. And she has a great mom! Thanks for posting.

Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks for the update Meghan's mom. I'm happy to hear that she is coming along nicely. The first 2-3 weeks are the absolute hardest. It's wonderful to hear what good care she is getting from you. Mom's are the best after surgery.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Have been anxious to hear how Meg was doing. Wow--what an ordeal she has been through. So glad that things are on the upswing. It sounds like she is getting the best of care esp. from Mom! Take it one day at a time and know that lots of us are thinking of her and praying for her!

Anne in PA
                    Age 58
                    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                    T4 to sacrum fusion
                    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Thanks for the update...wow, she really went through it. I was so glad to have my mom with me after the surgery...even with the rest of my family around me, there is nothing like having your mom there!
                      Kathy, 43
                      Diagnosed as a teen
                      Boston brace 2 years
                      63 degree lumbar curve
                      Surgery August 26, 2009
                      Anterior approach fused T12-L4
                      now 28 degrees

Comment

Hey megz mom,

I also was praying for megz and hoping all is well. I am glad she came out well. She is gonna do great! I am 3 weeks post op. Tell her its gets easier and the pain gets much less!
                        -Bethany
                        pre-op L 74*
                        pre-op Th 56*
                        surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
                        getting nervous

Comment

Hi there, thanks so much for posting! I have been thinking about her surgery and praying for her
                          I am glad she is doing well and tell her to keep up the good work

Comment

Wow, your daughter is one tough woman.

Always great to hear great news.
                            45L/40T
                            Surgery 25/1/2010
                            Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Working...
                            X