progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• progression

My girl had an xray done Dec 17 and saw an orthopedic surgeon. This morning I noticed that she looks quite a bit more crooked.......Is that possible??
    I showed my mother and she agreed that she looks more crooked.....she gets her brace wed and she gets a xray in a few weeks.......should I try to get her in earlier?? Or just wait .....I don't know.......its quite scary seeing it progress so fast...........

Deep breaths.

A few things...

Are you asking asking if you should get the brace earlier than this Wednesday? Will it even be ready?

Did you mean to say she will have radiographs taken a few weeks after she gets the brace? That might be okay but with my one kid, the surgeon wanted her in the office to take radiographs to check in-brace correction the same day she got the brace.

In re potential progression in 5 weeks and if it might be noticeable... my one daughter's curve moved ~5 degrees a month for at least five months. But I think the most noticeable aspect was not the curvature progression but the rotation. If you are noticing something real, it is more likely increased rotation in my opinion which may or may not go along with increased curvature. For example, both my daughters were at 57* - 58* on the table but one was highly rotated and the other barely so. They looked completely different yet had the same Cobb angle. (Note to Stitzel.)

Good luck with the brace. It should help with the derotation as I understand it.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

No, the brace won't be ready before Wed. she supposed to get radiographs in the brace 6 weeks later.....my question is, would her doctor want to do a radiograph sooner than later. her waste seems to be going in more and her hip is protruding more. Is Her lumbar curve was 30 degrees and her thoracic cure was 20 degrees a month ago.......its probably okay to wait a 6 weeks.......just scary to see a difference in a short time........

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Deep breaths.

A few things...

Are you asking asking if you should get the brace earlier than this Wednesday? Will it even be ready?

Did you mean to say she will have radiographs taken a few weeks after she gets the brace? That might be okay but with my one kid, the surgeon wanted her in the office to take radiographs to check in-brace correction the same day she got the brace.

In re potential progression in 5 weeks and if it might be noticeable... my one daughter's curve moved ~5 degrees a month for at least five months. But I think the most noticeable aspect was not the curvature progression but the rotation. If you are noticing something real, it is more likely increased rotation in my opinion which may or may not go along with increased curvature. For example, both my daughters were at 57* - 58* on the table but one was highly rotated and the other barely so. They looked completely different yet had the same Cobb angle. (Note to Stitzel.)

Good luck with the brace. It should help with the derotation as I understand it.

Comment

Okay I think I understand now.

I would call him or email him about that. Six weeks sounds like a long time even if she didn't appear to be progressing just based on my one kid. As I mentioned, he wanted a radiograph the same day she got it.

I think you should ask both the orthotist and the surgeon if the brace should be checked earlier given your impression that she has progressed. The brace may need to be redone... I have no idea. The orthotist may not know about maximum likely progression rates but the surgeon certainly will... it may be the case that even 5 degrees a month like my one daughter will not matter to the brace fit at this point. This progression rate is not common but it can't be very rare either.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thank you for your advice....its very apreciated...

Samantha

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          Okay I think I understand now.

I would call him or email him about that. Six weeks sounds like a long time even if she didn't appear to be progressing just based on my one kid. As I mentioned, he wanted a radiograph the same day she got it.

I think you should ask both the orthotist and the surgeon if the brace should be checked earlier given your impression that she has progressed. The brace may need to be redone... I have no idea. The orthotist may not know about maximum likely progression rates but the surgeon certainly will... it may be the case that even 5 degrees a month like my one daughter will not matter to the brace fit at this point. This progression rate is not common but it can't be very rare either.

Comment

Working...
          X