Getting a bit annoyed by the brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a bit annoyed by the brace

I'm getting pretty annoyed by my brace right now because I just don't want to wear it any more. I ask my doctor when I could take it off and they said just hang in there for a little while. I wear my brace for 22 hours and I thank God everyday because when I see people who have scoliosis on google I say that my curve is not worse than theirs. Because some peoples curves are really hardcore ones. I sometimes feel bad for them. Then again they are cured because they had surgery instead of wearing a brace. But I really want to take this brace off of me for the rest of my life! The next appointment I have with my doctor is on Feb. I hope that I get some what good news that I'm doing well wearing it and that maybe they could reduce my time or even take it of forever
    SmileyGirl8
    T30
    Got my brace on March 21,2009
    Age 12
    <3

I'm right with ya!

Don't worry you are definitely not the only one who feels this way. I recently got a new brace and I hate it and I just want to get it out of my life! But i am glad to know that other girls are going through the same thing i am and some have bigger curves than me. Anddddd my doctor told me the same exact thing to, you know, hang in there. My next appointment is in March and its only two months away but it feels like a lightyear.

Comment

Time can be an eternaty!

Hi, My daughter of 20yrs old; Alacia is frustrated too. She only has had her brace since Aug/09 and has 2 yrs to go. Her problem is that the Spince Core Brace digs in to her private area and causes her much iritation. So far the doctor or her haven't been able to find a solution.

Is there anyone out there that could help her?

Concerned and sympathetic Mother

Comment

avishenderson

I don't think the Spinecor should be causing this problem. Maybe it is too tight.

Have you tried contacting the inventor of the Spinecor - Dr. Rivard in Montreal? He responds to phone calls and emails.

Hôpital Sainte-Justine
        3175, Chemin Côte Sainte-Catherine, Suite B-922
        Montreal, Quebec, H3T 1C5
        Phone: (514) 345-4839
        Fax: (514) 345-2353

e-mail: chrivard@gmail.com

e-mail: chcoillard@gmail.com
        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

I (older adult) was fitted for a Spinecor when I was in NYC recently. The main reason was that it didn't give me enough pain relief (I'd gotten my hopes way up!) to justify it. (After shelling out $450, I decided not to get one!)

To refer to your problem...I'm not hefty (weighed in at 132 lbs. there, dressed) but the large AND extra large were way too small for me - especially the length. I must say it was a relief to find out they were children's sizes. (You'd think he could have told me! )

It's my impression that they're sized small. The ones especially for adults have kind of boxer shorts and maybe they'd work better for you. Especially if you have a "long waist" (I do, in spite of losing so many inches in my back), I can see why they would pinch quite a number of wearers, most of all as they move and stretch. Likewise, if your thighs are not REALLY slender.

(Another thought is that it might have shrunk a bit as it was washed and dried. So many items of clothing do!)

I second the motion to contact the manufacturer and have some measurements in hand - of both you and of your brace.

What a drag! --- And at that price!!

Luck!
          Last edited by Back-out; 04-28-2010, 11:37 AM.
          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

hey all!

Hey everyone. So I wore a Cheneau so can't comment on the spinecor issues, but as far as getting annoyed by wearing the brace I have a few suggestions.
            1. Braces are obnoxious, annoying, sometimes painful, and downright unpleasant. but all the comments are right about there always being someone worse off are totally true. even if its not scoliosis, there is always someone who has it harder. what got me through it was remembering that at least scoliosis is treatable. whether you have surgery or not, there is a treatment. a brace will help avoid surgery but its still a treatment nonetheless. At least we have something that can be treated by these methods!
            2. be responsibile for your brace. I met girls who would hide their brace from their parents when possible and it always made me think that their parents wouldn't be the ones having surgery if they didn't wear the brace. brace compliance is such a huge deal and helps so much in preventative treatment. I wore one for FIVE years! It was hard, yea, but totally worth it. so I guess my point is that if you are fortunate enough to have a brace (remember, there are people who can't) WEAR IT! and wear it for how long your doctor says you should!!!! It can make all the difference in the world!

HANG IN THERE GIRLIES!!
            Hey, so I'm Rebecca, I'm 20 and I wore a Boston Brace for one year, and then a Cheneau brace for 5+ years. The Cheneau changed my life. I now am out of brace full time!!!! Its amazing. For all my scoli-girls (and guys of course) hang in there - the day you get your brace off is the best feeling ever. All the years of wearing it won't matter when that day comes. amo vobis!

"DUX FEMINA FACTI (The leader of the deed was a WOMAN!)"
            -Virgel

Comment

This is going to be terrible!!

Hi.

I got my brace last Wednesday, May 19. I wasn't particularly thrilled about it, but I guess I figured that it would not be to bad... Now I have a new enemy, and I'm stuck with it for about 4 years

I hate the brace already. Does it begin to feel any less terrible? I don't want to be stuck with it for another 4 years
              Last edited by nippybetta; 05-21-2010, 09:19 PM.

Comment

hang in there

nippybetta:
                I'm not gonna sugar coat and say that eventually the brace feels fine, perfect, whatever. but i will say this: you get used to it. it does begin to feel normal. it becomes a part of you, just like your skin. you learn what you can and can't do, and yea, there will be things you can't do. but you do get used to it! I PROMISE! it gets better. i cried for a good week after I got mine. don't worry. and 4 years is a long time. but at least you got a time estimate. i was told wear it for however long. that turned into 5 years! most of the girls i knew wore theirs for less than 3 years and so after 2 years I started expecting every time I saw my surgeon that he'd let me take it off. but WEAR THE BRACE! it does much better on you than hidden under your bed, ok? a brace is bad, but its better than surgery.
                Hey, so I'm Rebecca, I'm 20 and I wore a Boston Brace for one year, and then a Cheneau brace for 5+ years. The Cheneau changed my life. I now am out of brace full time!!!! Its amazing. For all my scoli-girls (and guys of course) hang in there - the day you get your brace off is the best feeling ever. All the years of wearing it won't matter when that day comes. amo vobis!

"DUX FEMINA FACTI (The leader of the deed was a WOMAN!)"
                -Virgel

Comment

I wear a Providence brace for eight hours a night. I realize that I am very lucky. I dont get teased about it and i don't wear it infront of people who I don't know. This thread makes it really hard for me to feel sorry for myself and I appreciate that. I never want surgery so I'm now determined, after reading your posts, to work through this hard time. I know that I am lucky not to have like a 40-60 something degree curve. I'm only a 24. And this brace will keep me this way. Keep being tough out there! You all have something to be really proud of.
                  *Harper* *Smith*
                  The Curves In My Life Are What Make Me, Me.
                  Providence Brace Nighttime 10 Hours. Since July 20th 2010. Entering 8th Grade. 16 Countries Around The World Since 10 Years Old

Comment

Working...
                  X