No announcement yet.

Four Months Post Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is something that you can buy that you sit on and it turns. I think it is designed to help older people with limited mobility to get in and out of the car. That may help with the turning.
    Best wishes.
    Cheryl.

Comment

Helo Cheryl and Allison

Its called a 'Lazy Susan'! The type of thing you find in the middle of a table in a chineese restaraunt!

Hey Allison - whereabouts in Australia do you live. Is it Perth if I remember rightly.

My op is 2 days away now and I can't believe it! Been shoppign today to get all the loose pj's, robe and rubber soled slipers.

No turnign back now!

Take care

Kylie-Ann
      Kylie-Ann
      Australia

Surgery 14th October 2004
      T7- L4
      Thoracoplasty

Comment

Yep I live in Perth, the capital city thats where's its cheaper to go to Bali than to Adelaide he he

Best wishes for your surgery, even though the tunnel may be looming closer, the light on the other side's a lot nearer :-)

I did try a "lazy susan" (courtesy of my dear old neighbours :-) for a couple of lessons (we experimented with lots of things). I personally found that I had problems with it. I found that whilst it was helpful in twisting my lower half, I had problems twisting my upper half (and that's what you need a lot of for driving), to look out the back window and for your "blindspots". I also found it challenging to coordinate the manual pedals (esp clutch) whilst twisting. It also got me at not quite the right angle I was aiming for in the seat in the car.

In the same breath I think it would lots and lots of help with looking around the car with a lumbar/low thorasic fusion, and in Automatic (not a stick shift) cars, where you have less pedals to worry about. By the time I was in an Auto car (my parents deal was get a manual license then never have to drive one again :-) my methods of getting around stuff worked pretty well for me so I never tried it in an Auto. But my sister "hates" me cause I can reverse cars into spaces without needing cars on either side for guidance into the space, but oh well :-)

This just came to mind, I saw it in another thread but can't remember which one. I think Cheryl, that people point others towards your "worried mum from Australia" thread is because it's very good. Because what you've written is a "journey" and what its really like "post surgery" all the ins and outs and its very honest.

Alison

Alison
        Last edited by Alison; 10-11-2004, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks Allison for your comments on what I have written. I really do hope that our experiences can help some else. I know that you certainly helped us a great deal especially early on.
          Earlier this year I saw advertised on the tv a 'lazy susan' but it was specially for the car.
          It's good to hear from you again Kylie-Ann. How is the family coping now? How are you feeling about being away from them. We have to go back down there next month, you will be well and truly home by then otherwise we would come visit you.
          Good luck with everything, don't forget to come back and let us know how you go.
          Best wishes.
          Cheryl.

Comment

Post Surgery

Hello,
            Our daughter,then aged twelve, had her surgery on May 12th. She was such a trooper, was out of the hospital on the 6th day, only taking extra strength tylenol for the pain. She was a little sad watching others over the summer play but came through well. She went back to school this fall very excited. She had a tough time the first week, with feeling abit sore, we decided it was from the sitting for long periods of time, so now she just gets up and walks around a little when she feels stiffness setting in. Her teachers have been great. Good luck to all, it is very scary at first but the outcome is fantastic.

Comment

WHAT A WONDERFUL GROUP!!! Everyone is so supportive and sharing of their thoughts, ideas, feelings. I just get such comfort from it all. AC's MRI results came back OK - some bone changes and "moderate to severe" scoliosis - (duh) We see surgeon on Monday - haven't met him yet. She's in more pain now - chest pain too - anyone else reporting that??? Getting lots of support from school - she is being excused from some activities in PE. The good thing about the pain is she's saying it'll be worth it to not be in pain anymore.
              AC's mom

Comment

Hi, everyone,

SIX MONTHS POST-OP: I just wanted to add my little bit here. My daughter had double fusion (T4-L2) on March 18, 2004. Her 65/50 curves were corrected to 27/12. She is doing absolutely great, and her doctor (Steven Mardjetko-Park Ridge, Illinois - our hero!) lifted all restrictions at her six-month check up in October. She has gone back to dancing (hip-hop, MTV, jazz) again and has been able to work around the few things that she can't do there and performs on par with the rest of her class. She is now closing in on the end of high school and we are onto the college search. When I see her, it is almost impossible to believe where we were six months ago. She moves normally and with a graceful, elegant posture that I surely envy. I want to send a "hello" to Peggy, Mumof5, Jill, and all the others who supported me during the surgery - it is wonderful to hear that things are going well for you, too. To all of those facing this incredibly difficult ordeal, have faith - you can get through it. I don't come onto the forum as much as I did, so if you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at paulasue2@aol.com

Comment

Working...
                X