Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thoroscapy

Linda
    No, i'm sorry if you misunderstood me, dr. boachie did not say he would be making two incisions. I was under the understanding that there would only be one because that is all he mentioned, then i saw a picture of someone who had two and i thought maybe i missed something when i spoke with him or that he just didn't mention that she would have two scars. So i started asking on the boards if they do two all the time. I am just hoping that he makes only one and then i got nervous from amymichele's post on all the complications on it.
    Thanks for the link, i am going to go read it now.
    Jennifer

Comment

thoroscapy

cheryl,
      That makes me feel better. So at least i know it can be done with making only one. I really don't want her whole back all scared up.
      thanks
      jennifer

Comment

jc,
        So sorry that I alarmed you. That's the last thing i wanted to do. Just was trying to share what WE know about Lacey's procedure so far, and the words from our surgeon...to help you along the way in your decision making.
        If your surgeon does this often, thru the same incision, I'm quite sure you'll have nothing to be concerned about! Again, I would never want to be perceived here as negative, so please forgive any insensitivity I may have shown.
        Amy
        Daughter, Lacey has an upper curve of about 55 degrees. She will have posterior surgery in June.

Comment

Linda,
          Lacey, her dad and I feel pretty good about the correction she may get to her hump. So, we opted to stay with the surgeon she has, since he has been very good to her, and comes HIGHLY recommended by many, including our family Dr.
          I may not have completely understood the reason WHY he said there would need to be a separate incision for Lacey's thoracoplasty, but I do know that there would need to be one.
          Guess each and every case comes down to what's important the individual child and family in these situations.
          Thank you for your concern.
          Amy
          Daughter, Lacey has an upper curve of about 55 degrees. She will have posterior surgery in June.

Comment

Thanks Amy... If you ever get the chance, please ask the surgeon about the separate incision. I've never heard of that before.

If the cosmetic aspect isn't a big deal, that I would definitely recommend against a thoracoplasty. If it is a big deal, there is often good improvement to the rib hump just from the derotation done during scoliosis surgery. Unfortunately, most people complain that the rib hump returns over time.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thoroscopy

hi amymichele
              No need to apologize at all, you were not being insensitive at all. You were just writing what your dr. had said.
              Linda,
              Can the rib hump return even after having the procedure for it?
              Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer...

If your question is "can the rib hump return after having a thoracoplasty," the answer is I don't know. As far as I can tell, the people I know who had thoracoplasties haven't had their rib hump return, but I imagine it can happen. It's a good question to address with your surgeon.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

hi linda,
                  yes that was my question because i have heard if there is a rib hump and it looks better after surgery it can return later on. I will ask the dr.
                  thanks and i still have to find out if boachie makes only 1 incision which i am hoping he does.
                  jennifer

Comment

Jennifer...

If scoliosis surgery is done correctly, the rib hump will be reduced without having a thoracoplasty. Many people complain that their rib humps have returned over time, but I've never heard that from anyone who had a thoracoplasty. Does that clear up the question?

And, I've never heard of anyone having a separate incision for a thoracoplasty, but I guess anything is possible.

Regards,
                    Linda

Comment

thoroscopy

linda
                      if like you said if the surgery is done correctly then the rib hump would be reduced, then why do they need to even do this procedure at all then?
                      Just curious on your thoughts
                      Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer...

Two reasons that I can think of (there may be more). 1) Derotation will only reduce moderate rib humps enough to make a big difference (I think large rib humps are still large have scoliosis surgery). 2) Rib humps reduced by scoliosis surgery tend to reoccur.

--Linda

Comment

thoracoplasty

Thanks linda
                          That is what i figured. It makes sense.
                          Jennifer

Comment

I reply to the question about rib humps returning after a thoracoplasty. My daughter had was fused from T4 to L4, she had quite a bit of rotation but I don't know the degree, I was told that her L4 was 'quite oblique' which a friend told me means almost sideways. I could see that myself from the x-rays.
                            Her rib hump was quite large and she ended up having had 5 ribs done. The doctor told me that they removed about about 5 cms (2 inches) from each of them.
                            Around the 3 month mark I noticed a lump in her back between her spine and her shoulder blade. At her check-up we asked about it and were told ( the doctor even made me feel it so I would get a better idea) that it was one of the ribs growing back.
                            He said that sometimes when the ribs grow back after such a big hump the don't always grow straight or how we want them to. Sometimes they will grow back with a curve, though it won't be as large as the original one. The 'bad' rib in Amber's case is pushing on the bottom of her shoulder blade and making it stick out, making it look like the hump is bad. In reality when I look closely I can see that the hump itself is not very bad. They have told us that around the 12 month mark they could look at redoing that rib if she wants.
                            They also said that the only way to stop the ribs regrowing with a curve like that is to take them off at the front, but that is not a good idea because then there is no support and no 100% complete fix.
                            Cheryl.

Comment

thoracoplasty

hi cheryl,
                              That is basically what they are going to do to nicole. He said he would be removing part of 5-6 ribs. Nicole's is pretty severe looking. That is what bothers me the most about her having scoliosis. It's not so much the curve you notice on her, it's the ribs that are very noticable, especially in certain shirts she wears or in a bathingsuit.I just hate to have her go through this procedure and it doesn't make a difference after a while or like you said get it redone after the 12 month mark, i don't think we'd be doing that and if it was redone again i wonder if there's still a chance it wouldn't grow in like that again. How do her ribs feel now. Does she have any pain from that procedure anymore?
                              jennifer

Comment

Amber occasionally says that her shoulder hurts or is sore. But those days are becoming fewer. When she is tired and/or has had a big day it is more noticable. Amber is actually becoming a little proud of it. She loves her scar and is dissapointed that it is starting to fade. If I comment on her shoulder she says 'yeah it does that when I've been up all day.' But she says it like 'isn't it good, people have to notice I've had a big op when they see it'. Maybe that's not what she means but it really seems that way. She wears it well and is proud of herself. Which makes me all the more proud of her.
                                I have spoken to Amber about everything to do with her back and shoulder. She is positive that she would have the thoracoplasty done again even with the 'bad' rib. She has said that she doesn't know if she wants to have it 'fixed' she wants to wait and see.
                                It has made a big improvement to the way it looks. If it had been any other rib either up or down I doubt it would have made much difference to the appearance, this one just happened to run into the bottom of the shoulder blade.
                                Not everyone will go through what Amber's ribs have done but of course there is the risk that it will.
                                All I can say is that Amber is glad she had it done and would have it done again.
                                Best wishes.
                                Cheryl.

Comment

Working...
                                X