Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's give this forum back to the kids!

Hi...

This is a forum meant for kids to communicate with kids. Not only do adults routinely start threads here, they frequently jump to respond to posts from kids. If you see a thread in this forum going in the wrong direction, please report the thread to the NSF.

I'd like to give this forum back to them, and have parents (and others) communicate in the appropriate places:

Adult Patients: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68
    Parents and Family Members: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Thanks!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

I am VERY sorry. I did not realize that this was for the children only. Please remove my posts. I did not mean to intrude
    Gina
    "With God All Things Are Possible"
    Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
    to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

Hi Linda ,
      Im Syd and I am 13 and I am thinking this forum should be for everybody so many people have been giving me GREAT WONDERFUL THOUGHTFUL addvice to the day I joined to today I am not trying to be rude to you or anybody else but Some of the parents on here help me understand things better because some of the kids dont have the experience or they dont know how explain it and this site should have parent supervision any way so thats good that parents are on here to help each other out Im am truly sorry if my opinion insulted you or directly hurt your feelings or made you feel im being rude . p.s we are all equal and age doesnt matter we can all help each other with our addvise and experiences thanks for your time
      Last edited by Syd; 01-17-2010, 03:14 PM.
      [COLOR="Cyan"]59 degree curve birth
      110 degree curve now
      Sydnie SueAnn ^.^ Always open to help xo

Comment

so...the kids write on the 18 & under and cant write to the adults on the other parts of forum? or they can? but adults only write on the adult parts of the forum?
        what if kids want to communicate with the adults?

sorry...was just trying to offer some help to the kids..didnt think that was so awful...but the rules are the rules...maybe somebody should ask the kids how they feel about it? or no? not up for discussion....?

jess

Comment

Sorry, I didn't realise.

But I think Syd has a good point and stated it well.

My page comes up with all forums. I don't usually notice which forum a thread is from, but will take notice in future. Perhaps Syd could join us in the adult group if she wants, if that's not breaking the rules?
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Sorry, I thought this was the section where parents of kids/teens post their questions/concerns. I never knew we had a section specifically for kids. We don't seem to have that many kids on this forum, so when they ask for advice from another kid's perspective, I usually refer them to Spinekids.
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Please change the title to FOR TEENS ONLY

Like the others, I thought this section was to gain information about your teen going through scoliosis. I didn't know it was JUST for kids. And where are the kids????

I only check new posts and only today noticed that it lists the threads in the table as well as at the top.

This then brings me to my next dilemma. My son while technically by age is an adult, he most certainly doesn't act like an adult because he functions between 10-14. So I'll still check out the new posts that are labeled adolescent and teens because it may help him understand what's happening better.

And Syd, you have not been rude or impolite at all. Your parents have done a fine job of teaching you manners. Be sure to thank them because manners are what makes the world a better place. Go COLTS!! I saw they won!
              Thoroughly disgusted with people in this group

Comment

Originally posted by MitoMom View Post
                And where are the kids????
                That's the point. The kids are no longer talking to kids for the most part.

My request was not meant for anyone individually. If you look at the posts in this section, the majority have only adults talking to adults.

I just want a place where kids can talk to kids and not have to worry that they're going to get pounced upon by adults. And, there is no rule against kids posting in the adults section.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

By the way, you can always contact someone through IM without of disrupting the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    Hi...

This is a forum meant for kids to communicate with kids. Not only do adults routinely start threads here, they frequently jump to respond to posts from kids. If you see a thread in this forum going in the wrong direction, please report the thread to the NSF.

I'd like to give this forum back to them, and have parents (and others) communicate in the appropriate places:

Adult Patients: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68
                    Parents and Family Members: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Thanks!

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Kind of looks like there may be a time or two when adults should be able to lend support. On the other hand if the under 18 forum is designed only for those 18 and under, there's reason to keep adults out. So I don't know - looks like the entire forum is pretty much open to all. Spinekids being a place were those under 18 can not worry about any adult intervention? For certain, any inappropriate posting should be reported.

Last edited by mamamax; 01-17-2010, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Syd View Post
                      Hi Linda ,
                      Im Syd and I am 13 and I am thinking this forum should be for everybody so many people have been giving me GREAT WONDERFUL THOUGHTFUL addvice to the day I joined to today I am not trying to be rude to you or anybody else but Some of the parents on here help me understand things better because some of the kids dont have the experience or they dont know how explain it and this site should have parent supervision any way so thats good that parents are on here to help each other out Im am truly sorry if my opinion insulted you or directly hurt your feelings or made you feel im being rude . p.s we are all equal and age doesnt matter we can all help each other with our addvise and experiences thanks for your time
                      Well said, Syd.

Linda,
                      Several of us referred Syd to Spinekids because we knew there are very few kids on here who can give advice or support. We're caring adults who can't turn a blind eye to a kid's request for help just because we're not supposed to post in this section (which is news to me!). Syd is a very sweet kid and I could not help but to respond. We all want to share and help others through this journey.

Would it be possible to expand the parents section? Questions get lost in there because of all the different categories being subbed under one title, I think that's part of the reason parents persist in posting to the adolescent section.
                      Last edited by Sherie; 01-18-2010, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie View Post
                        Well said, Syd.

Linda,
                        Several of us referred Syd to Spinekids because we knew there are very few kids on here who can give advice or support. We're caring adults who can't turn a blind eye to a kid's request for help just because we're not supposed to post in this section (which is news to me!). Syd is a very sweet kid and I could not help but to respond. We all want to share and help others through this journey.

Would it be possible to expand the parents section? Questions get lost in there because of all the different categories being subbed under one title, I think that's part of the reason parents persist in posting to the adolescent section.
                        You'd have to address the request to change the forum structure to Joe O'Brien, as I don't have the ability to do something like that.

I try to keep an eye on new threads, and if no one responds, I try to do so. If you look at most of the threads started by kids, you'll see that an adult responds almost immediately. I suspect that kids are a lot less likely to respond if they see responses from adults.

--Linda

Comment

you now linda some kids on this site will be 18 in the next coming months like me i'll be 18 as of feb 24 2010
                          Kara
                          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                          T4-L2
                          Before 50T
                          After 20T

Comment

From a teens perspective

being a teen who goes on this site from time to time i find it really helpful when parents give the advice, i know my mom knows way more about my situation than i do. I really appreciate their advice. Granted kids should hear from other kids but I found when I needed advice the best came from an adult. We are all just trying to deal with scoliosis and I think as long as it is a parent of an adolescent it should be ok. I really appreciate all the advice I get from parents. Sorry if i upset anyone with my opinion, it wasnt meant to come out rude.
                            I'm 19 years old, had surgery 5 years ago
                            3 curves Middle curve - 65 fused to 13 Bottom curve 35- fixed on it's own to 16!
                            Fused from C7 to L1

Comment

I guess questions for other kids should go in the kids section and questions for adults should go in the adult section.

Of you can post the same question in both sections.

If kids know this then they can post in the appropriate section.
                              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X