Does brace really help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does brace really help?

Im 16 and my curves are 23-17. I have a friend and she had scoliosis too and when she was in 6th grade she was wearing braces and now its not even obvious that she has uneven hips etc. she is straight!

I want to know if It really works. Some say it will make it worse! Im afraid of that...

You probably are gonna say talk to your doctor but here, noone really knows well about scoliosis.

So if I wear brace, and take it off in a year, will my curve be better and never get worse again? because with swimming, it gets better for a week and then it becomes like how it was before.

Welcome

Hello and welcome. I am not sure by your message where you are located, but there are wonderful doctors all around that deal with scoliosis. I have never heard of anyone saying bracing made it worse, but I'm just a Mom with two kids with scoliosis - not a medical expert! Look up the Cheneau brace (sometimes called the Rigo-Cheneau). We use that one. Your curve is a bit large to start Spinecor, but you could. My daughter is 8 and in a Cheneau. I figure it can't hurt and we want to avoid or prolong surgery. You are 16 so probably close to done growing which makes a difference. You can also look up the Schroth physical therapy - I have heard people get good results from this if they put the work in. Best of luck. Message me if you have any more questions.
    Tina

• Mom of Cynthia, age 8, 67 degree curve, former Spinecor Patient and current Cheneau Brace wearer
    • Mom of Vaughn, age 5, 18 degree curve - not yet braced, but closely monitored
    • Wife of Andy, adult with 26 degree curve, diagnosed as a teenager, no bracing or surgery

www.scoliosisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com
    www.EmBracedInComfort.com

Comment

Originally posted by pearlgirl View Post
      You probably are gonna say talk to your doctor but here, noone really knows well about scoliosis.
      Yes and yes.

So if I wear brace, and take it off in a year, will my curve be better and never get worse again?
      If you are done growing as certainly appears to be the case, braces are not expected to permanently change your curve. At best, braces claim to hold the curves (in growing spines only) where they are, preventing (or delaying) future progression. Though you might notice some temporary decrease right after you take the brace off, it is not expected to be permanent.

because with swimming, it gets better for a week and then it becomes like how it was before.
      Have you told your surgeon about this? Just because you won't see him for another 7 months doesn't mean you can't email him or call his nurse about these questions and concerns. I think he will answer or at least I certainly expect him to do so.

GOod luck.
      Last edited by Pooka1; 01-17-2010, 10:15 AM.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Does bracing really help?

Does bracing really help? Bottom line answer - we have no definitive answer that would apply to each and every case. I see you have a friend who braced successfully?

I think both Sharon and Tina have offered some good information and I don't have a lot to add to what they have said. I can say this, bracing has helped me at the age of 60.

I think what we will definitively learn about bracing - exceeds what we definitively know about bracing. Meanwhile - some do appear to benefit from compliant use, both young and old.

Wishing you all the best -

Comment

HI,

the brace works for my dd, she wears a boston brace and about 16 plus hours a day.

There are studies on bracing and effects...so plenty of documentation that it does work.
          age 15
          Daughter diagnosed at age 13
          T20 l23 10-09
          T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
          T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
          T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
          Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
          Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Bracing for scoliosis

Originally posted by pearlgirl View Post
            im 16 and my curves are 23-17. I have a friend and she had scoliosis too and when she was in 6th grade she was wearing braces and now its not even obvious that she has uneven hips etc. She is straight!

I want to know if it really works. Some say it will make it worse! Im afraid of that...

So if i wear brace, and take it off in a year, will my curve be better and never get worse again? Because with swimming, it gets better for a week and then it becomes like how it was before.
            i wore a milwake brace for 10 yrs and my dr's said if i hadnt i would be in a wheel chair now.

Comment

I wore a brace underneath my clothes when I was 10 through 12 and I was done growing by the end of it. My brace managed to correct my curve a wee bit, which is lucky. Mostly what braces do is keep it from getting worse and if it DOES get worse while you are in a brace, I bet it would increase more out of a brace, so they are really helpful. Wearing a brace stinks, a lot, especially when you have to deal with kids poking it and knocking on it, but it isn't too bad, as I'm sure you have noticed with your friend, though she might not have had the same type of brace as me. But I think you only need one to straighten your hips and shoulders (it sounds like that's what you have), because your curve might not get worse since you are so old, or if it does, it might not get surgery-high.

Comment

Please be reminded that the Adolescent and Teen forum is for adolescents and teens.

Thank you for your consideration.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Here's your right answer.

Yes.

Braces do work iv'e had mine for 2 years now, and I left it off for a while and now i'm at a 35 degree curve!!!!

They start talking surgery at 40!!!!!!!!! I'm wearing my brace now, hoping that it would decreese my curve, but my mom said that it doesn't help it get better it just helps it so it won't get WORSE!!!

I'm kinda nervouse. I dont want surgery i'm Scared to death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do have to admit though as long as you have the right brace and you were it it works!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X