Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery was Monday - Home today

Hello everyone!!

I just got home from my surgery about 3 hours ago. Everything went as scheduled expect for a really high heart that I deveoped. They hoped this would go down on its own after they gave me a blood transfusion on Tuesday, but we're still waiting ! lol

The first couple of days were the most brutal days that I ever endured. I was dry heaving just to stand up on the third day. I still haven't had a real, BM after taking more laxatives than I ever have in my life. I look about 3 months pregrant !! This should go down soon tho. It also looks like my rib hump has gone =D I hope it stays that way as the swelling goes down.

Good luck to everyone else who had it this week !! It starts out real hard but, but the difference between days 3 and 4 were extremely significant for me.
    http://mixasu.blogspot.com/

Congrats! So glad you're home. Don't worry...I didn't have a BM for 8 days! And I hardly ate a thing. I took the stool softener (had a little laxaive in it), ate yogurt (the only thing that I liked) and ate tiny pieces of apples. the first night home I hardly slept..but each night got better and better. hang in there!
    Kathy, 43
    Diagnosed as a teen
    Boston brace 2 years
    63 degree lumbar curve
    Surgery August 26, 2009
    Anterior approach fused T12-L4
    now 28 degrees

Comment

YEA Mixasu!!! Congratulations!!!!!! How are you? Where there any surprises other than your heart rate? Is it normal to have a transfusion??? Please let us know how you are. YEA! You did it!!

Laura
      Laura
      62 degrees
      49 yrs. young
      Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Isn't that very fast to come home so quickly ?

My surgeon is saying about 7-10 days in the hospital

Hope you continue to feel better

Melissa
        Last edited by mbeckoff; 01-08-2010, 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Congrats Mixasu, you did it! Wow, home so soon. Makes my 19 days a little embarrassing.

The rapid heart rate seems to be quite common. I hope that settles down for you soon. I hope your drugs are keeping in front of the pain and that they make you sleep now you're home in your own bed. Oh that was heaven for me, my own bed! And no nurses making a din in the hallway in the middle of the night - bliss!

Take care, I hope you've got someone spoiling you rotten and the remainder of your recovery goes smoothly.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Mixasu, I also had that high heart rate. I was put in ICU after surgery. They eventually gave me two units of blood on the third day. I was scared that they were going to keep me. I know what you mean about the bloated stomach. It felt like they made a hole in my stomach and then attached an air hose and aired it up. It is finally going down and it is my fourth week.

rich

Comment

Congratulations on your surgery and getting home! That's awesome. My surgery is coming so fast and I'm trying to learn everything I can, (even the bad stuff) so I'm prepared for what happens. I've had surgery in the past but nothing like this. Just gotta' keep your eye on the prize and take it a day at a time. I'm cheering for you!
              Anne

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Thanks for all the positive enforcement guys You all are very encouraging.

I'm not gonna lie. The first couple of days were so rough that I regretted doing this surgery. But after the third or fourth night, I realized that it was all worth it. I'm straighter, taller, and a lot more confident in myself even though I'm still all swollen. I've already been looking at all the new clothes I could wear that I couldn't before.

The past couple of days have been a breeze. I'm real sore, but it's tolerable. My heart rate went down. I even showered today !! With the help of my grandmother, I took my own shower. She held the shower head so I wouldn't get my wound dirty and I scrubbed ! lol

I'll keep you all updated

Comment

Originally posted by ADMoul View Post
                  Congratulations on your surgery and getting home! That's awesome. My surgery is coming so fast and I'm trying to learn everything I can, (even the bad stuff) so I'm prepared for what happens. I've had surgery in the past but nothing like this. Just gotta' keep your eye on the prize and take it a day at a time. I'm cheering for you!
                  Anne
                  Good luck with your surgery. You will do fine. If you have any questions, you can always ask me. Every time that I had a question, I put a post on this forum and everyone did an excellent job in answering it. When's your surgery date?

Comment

I am so glad that everything is going well. I am feeling less anxious now. March 11 still seems too close for my comfort level, but I know that once I start the whole process it will start towards the goal of a new back .

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                    X