rolfing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rolfing?

Has anyone had rolfing done to help with scoliosis? Or have you heard it's not recommended for any reason??
    We are considering it for our son before he begins the Schroth protocol in a couple of months.

mommyx3
    13 yr old son
    Curve first seen: 6/09
    Dx by X-ray 9/09: 30* R lumbar, 21* R lower thoracic, 13* L upper thoracic; Risser 0; closed triradiate cartilage
    TLSO 11/09: 20 hrs/day.
    In-brace X-ray 12/09: 20* lumbar, 16* lower T-spine.
    mommyx3
    13 yr old son : Dx 9/09
    30* R lumbar, 21* R low-thoracic, 13* L up-thoracic; Risser 0; closed triradiate cartilage
    In-brace X-ray 12/09: 20* lumbar, 16* low T-spine

Hi mommyx3,

I looked into rolfing (or tried to) after my daughter was diagnosed. A friend of mine who went to someone for her neck had told the PT that she had a friend with a daughter with scoliosis. He claimed that he could fix it. I took that with a giant grain of salt (it was way too pat an answer), but told her I would look into it which I did. I could not find anything that supported that rolfing helped scoli, except perhaps in a completely temporary (meaning a couple of hours) cosmetic way. I would think carefully about it and if you are considering it, ask for multiple references from people who have kids with scoli who the person has treated--references you can call and talk to. Even then, I would be skeptical. Sorry to be negative, but it's really expensive and not very promising.
    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

I found rolfing very good for scar tissue and muscle tightness but my Rolfer never claimed she could do anything to correct scoliosis and, believe me, we had many discussions.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

rolfing

thanks for your feedback.

luckily I'm not looking to rolfing to "cure" the scoliosis (so i won't be disappointed there); i'm hoping to gain some decrease in the muscle & fascial tension so that the Schroth protocol can potentially have more affect or at least be easier to implement. I will not enter into it lightly and appreciate your words of caution. I'm waiting to hear back from the Schroth PT's to see if they think it might be beneficial, neutral or detrimental to their work. I can only see it being positive, but I may be missing something. YES, it is very expensive, as is Schroth, as is a brace, as is this whole journey!

mommyx3
        mommyx3
        13 yr old son : Dx 9/09
        30* R lumbar, 21* R low-thoracic, 13* L up-thoracic; Risser 0; closed triradiate cartilage
        In-brace X-ray 12/09: 20* lumbar, 16* low T-spine

Comment

i did the 10 sessions of rolfing. i didn't really find them beneficial...especially because each session is predetermined and focuses on different areas of the body. i much prefer a good massage that is targeted to my problem areas. plus, massages are way cheaper.

Comment

I either had a bad "rolfer" or something but it was terrible!!! I felt bruised and sunburned the day after from the hard pressure of rubbing. During the session he was rubbing my back one way and I had an imense amount of pain so I moved and my back cracked hard- it NEVER cracks- his response was- oh good that means your body is adjusting. I wish I could have canceled the $150 check but he went to the bank before I could even make the 1/2 hour drive home.

Comment

Working...
            X