surgery on the 11th && 14th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by megz View Post
    Ok ladies heres another question..what did you do about wearing a bra?! I can't imagine it being comfortable and rubbing up against the incision. Also, did anyone have to goto Physical Therapy after or have a visiting nurse come into your home..I will be staying with my mom for a couple weeks and she wants to get me a hospital bed and put it down in her dining room..She feels it will be better than sleeping on a pull out bed. How would I go abouts getting a hospital bed.
    Hi,

I'm with your mother--a pullout bed sounds HORRIBLE after this surgery. They are usually uncomfortable for normal backs! I didn't have a hospital bed, but we bought a 3-in memory foam topper for my regular mattress, which was (and still is) heaven.

As for the bra question, I didn't wear one for months. Instead, I wore camisoles with shelf bras. Sometimes to this day, over a year later, too many days in a row of wearing a bra will give my upper back muscle spasms and I go back to the camisole.

I had a visiting nurse and PT's come to my house the first few weeks home. THey were pretty useless, except for the nurse checking that the incision looked good. The PT had me do little things that I could have done on my own, things that they mentioned in the hospital. I started 'real' PT out of the home at about 8 weeks post-op.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Toothbrush/paste, nighties, dressing gown, socks, hairbrush and ties, moisturiser, chapstick, palmers cocoa butter, book - which i didn't end up reading (too many visitors and too many nurses congregating in my room to admire flowers), mobile phone and 'grabber' - think thats about it.

As for the bra scenario - dont worry about it, they are really uncomfortable. I bought two crop top type bras for when i went walking, they are not as restrictive as conventional types. Apart from this, i didn't go back to wearing a normal bra until about the 8 week mark and even then it was off and on.

Good luck and i hope all goes well for you.
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hi Meg,

Every hospital is different. The Baptist Hospital gave me a booklet ahead of time telling me what to bring. Instead of slippers, I was told to bring a comfortable pair of walking shoes per the Physical Therapists. They gave me elastic shoe laces for them. Don't bother with a nightie unless it buttons down the front. You won't be able to raise your arms comfortably to put it on. The first few days you will have IV's in place anyway. They provided a robe for me and of course the socks with non-slip soles. Forget the bra. The hospital also provided a dry shampoo that worked surprisingly well. The only clothing I brought in was two pair of sweat pants that tied and two hooded sweatshirts that zipped. I had a cell phone but no brains to figure out how to use it. Same with the TV set in the room. I had hallucinations for 2 or 3 days post-op and had some really strange conversations with people who were not present in the room.

You have been and will still be in my prayers.

Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I'm sure you'll want to ditch the bra for sometime! It was very uncomfortable. I still am not crazy about it. You will definitely need a firm bed--a pull-out couch/bed would be really awful I'm thinking. So if there is no other option I'd go with hospital bed. Our bedroom is on first floor and quite firm so it was OK. Previously, I went to rehab for 8 days after 8 days in hospital. I had p.t. coming to my house 2 or 3 times a week for about 2 1/2 months, I think. Then I started going to regular p.t. & water p.t. at our local hospital at about 3 months. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Evesdropping

This is all so great! Thanks everybody!!!
            okay I will get Skye Memory foam matteress topper, Lip Balm, Face moisterizer I think everything else on the list we've covered. She has long.... long hair which will be salon washed, conditioned and braided on Tuesday - I don't think she will want anyone touching it during her stay at the hospital and I will have her sister-n-law (hairdresser) come to the house to do whatever else she needs done (yes 12 year old Skye has a sister-n-law (big smile). I already told her to ask for those nice heated blankets - I've had a couple procedures in my time and remember them fondly

Comment

I had a hospital bed in my living room for 2 months.I just could not get comfortable in my bed.Also a shower chair which I still use.And as far as the bra I did not wear one for about 2 months.
              Aug.17,09 Anterior
              Aug.20,09 Posterior
              Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
              Cedars-Sinai
              Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
              Husband married 30 years
              3 kids 29,28,25
              4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Hey Meg
                i think i remember back to when you were waiting for an appt...i believe you waited a long time...

i wish you a good outcome..successful surgery & a smooth & uneventful recovery! i know everything will go well..you waited a long time & gave this alot of thought..you will be in good hands!

jess

Comment

What a great thread for me to come across!

This is a wonderful resource to keep for my hospital stay

You are a bunch of great people

Melissa

Comment

megz ill be prolly getting out of the hospital when u are having urs. Prayers headed your way for ya. be positive, thats what im trying to do.
                    -Bethany
                    pre-op L 74*
                    pre-op Th 56*
                    surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
                    getting nervous

Comment

Originally posted by sillycoffeegirl View Post
                      megz ill be prolly getting out of the hospital when u are having urs. Prayers headed your way for ya. be positive, thats what im trying to do.
                      Good luck hun,
                      By this time you are all done and are on the road to recovery. I wish you the best hun. I am trying to stay positive but very hard lol =)Can't wait to hear all about how well things went for you when I get back.. Take Care.

Megz

27 year old female
                      Upper Curve 110 degrees
                      Lower Curve 90 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
                      Fused T2-Pelvis
                      Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                      X