The "Art" of Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got the letter!

Just got the letter this evening, dated 09/29.

Surgery is scheduled for 11/30/2010. I cried. Wow! I'm excited and relieved, and now confused by all the other feelings that just hit me.

Thank you to everyone for all the words of encouragement.

Comment

That's great news! Sheena's surgery was scheduled the week before Thanksgiving break. It works out well because Kelsey will be able to have the Christmas break off, it's possible she'll be ready to go back when school starts in Jan.

Comment

It should work out nicely. Did you stay home at Christmas? We have no idea if she'll feel up to all the activities. Her birthday is December 17, as well.

Now! About blood banking... I guess I need to contact the Red Cross ASAP? I will call tomorrow and see if they can give me some guidance in this.

I wonder if I'll get a call back on my phone call from Friday, now? I hope so, I still have lots of questions!! They've just changed a tiny bit.

Comment

Yes, we stayed home. Sheena wasn't in any condition to do much, but don't assume the same, I've seen many kids up and about much earlier than Sheena was.

Is Kelsey supposed to donate 2 units? Sheena had a really tough time with that, she just barely had enough for one. They were going to discard it because it wasn't enough for a full unit, I had to practically beg them not to. She doesn't like to get stuck, so she was extremely nervous and almost passed out during the draw. Make sure she's well fed and hydrated prior to the donation.

I don't know if you talked to Dr. Lenke about blood loss during surgery but there is a very good chance she'll need at least one if not 2 units after surgery with a longer fusion.

Comment

Actually, we haven't been given a number. Our letter simply said, "If your child has not begun the blood donation process, it is imperative that he/she do so as soon as possible..."

Kelsey was appropriately "thrilled" with this aspect, of course.

So, after my walk, I will call Red Cross and find out how we get this ball rolling.

Wow! After all the waiting, it seems like this is going to happen very quickly. How is that possible?

It said we good donate "autologous" or "directed". I've got friends and family offering theirs, but I'm thinking her own blood would be the best choice, if we can get it done. After that, her dad is "O" and she, her sister, and I all share the same type "A". So, between us, we should be able to whip this puppy.

Comment

Working...
            X