No announcement yet.

Lenke Moved My Date UP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Doodles so much. I really appreciate that! I'm already starting to get scared. Isnt that silly????
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

RitaR,
      Kelly is very helpful, and I'm sure she will try her best to get you in. My fingers are crossed for you!!! Let us know what happens!

Laura
      Laura
      62 degrees
      49 yrs. young
      Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Doodles,
        CAn you tell me where your family member stayed while you were in hosp with Dr. Lenke recovering from your surgery? Was your family member able to stay in the hosp at all with you? I hate to think of being in the hosp at night alone. Just a thing with me. Might sound weird, but I don't like being by myself at night. Just wondering if they will let my husband stay the night like on a sofa or cot or anything? If nothing else just the first couple of nights after surgery maybe.
        Thanks.
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46

Comment

Rita--My husband was allowed to stay several nights while I was in the hospital. He actually stayed in a Red Roof Inn a few miles away--for showers mostly--since they worked with him on a deal since we didn't know how long it would be. When I was in rehab--where I had a roommate-- he stayed there also. A possibility is Barnes Lodge where he had planned to stay. I had to go 3 days before surgery and we both actually stayed there one night. It seemed pretty strange to us but was the cheapest bet. If you were alone as my husband would have been you have to agree to room with someone else who also has someone in the hospital. There were lots of rules! On the other end is Park Hotel, I think, which is attached to hospital or his office I'm not positive. It's very nice. We stayed there a couple days when I went for my 3 months. Of course, it was pricier. I think we found info on Barnes Hospital web-site. Hopefully, they will give you a private room so someone can stay with you. We hadn't really planned for my husband to stay but I was so glad that he did! Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hey Doodles,
            What was it like when you first woke up from your surgery in St. Louis? Were you in extreme pain right off the bat from the start in postop? Or did they manage that pretty well? I've had some bad experiences from Oxycontin and Oxycodone previously. My hosp locally tried to OD me and I did some weird things =- so they're going to have to come up with some other type of medicine for me. I want no more of that stuff!!! I'd rather have the pain! Surely there's something else I can have.
            Rita Thompson
            Age 46

Comment

Rita, there's always the option of epidurals. I had two epidurals, set before closing the incision, for three, (or was it four) days. So no pain from the moment I woke up and even after they took the epidurals out, it was a couple of days before I felt any pain. They are seriously good. It appears not many surgeons use them though, I don't know why. I would recommend them. Worth talking to your surgeon about, anyway.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Good thought JenniferG. I will see what my surgeon says. Thanks much.
                Rita Thompson
                Age 46

Comment

I would have liked epidurals! If they gave me any, I didn't notice. Everything is really foggy but I personally had pain and kept telling my husband to get the pillows out from under my back he says. I remember it as saying Get those rocks out from under me. I was pretty out of it. Later--a couple days?-- they switched me to morphine which most don't use. However, for me it was much better. I think you need to feel free to ask for what works or have your husband ask to try something different if you are not getting any relief. Make sure your nurses keep up on the meds on time! Also, I was going to mention that Kelly, I believe, gave us an envelope full of info on places to stay that we could check out. Janet
                  Janet

Comment

Thanks so much. You are the best Doodles! I appreciate talking to you so much. You seem to answer all my questions just wonderfully and that helps immensely. Thanks again. As I think of questions I might ask - if that is okay?
                    Thanks again.
                    Rita Thompson
                    Age 46

Comment

Rita--Keep on asking away! Since we have same Dr. and hospital and similar work to be done, it's good to have someone to ask. There are so many on here with a wealth of information. Thank goodness for this forum! Janet
                      Janet

Comment

Rita R and Doodles...

Thanks Rita for asking the questions I haven't thought of yet...and thanks Doodles for answering them. It really is extra helpful knowing you had the same Dr. that we both have! I'm starting to get nervous!!! But also looking to get it over with. I do not have a husband to go with me But my sister will go for some of my time there. (we are in Cleveland). She won't be staying the whole time though.....and was wondering if she needs to come with me for my Pre Op appt. in February, too. Thoughts Janet???

Laura
                        Laura
                        62 degrees
                        49 yrs. young
                        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Working...
                        X