Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We Leave For Shriner In 2 days !!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Leave For Shriner In 2 days !!!!!!!!!

Well we Leave Tuesday for Shriners...We are completley on anxiety mode..Is this Normal? Poor Dairrien,he was calm and collected until today,when I started packing up our things andd starting to get things ready..he had a anxiety attack..he couldnt sit still.and had a hard time catching his breath...It is now sinking in...HE IS HAVING SURGERY!!! I keep telling myself it will be ok....
    For those who need cathing up,Dairrien is 13 yrs old..he has scholiosis and Shuermanns Kyphosis..The Kyphosis is what Shriners will be fixing..He had 92 degree curve,2 months ago,but I suspect it has gotten worse as he has shrunk in height the last couple of months..and it looks to me his back has gotten worse he is slumped forward more .I am a single mom of 3 boys 16(Domenyk),13 (Dairrien) and 11 (DJ).

So Packing is done..going to pack up some food staples tomorrow..and do some shopping for my older son who will be staying home with my mother..It just is now really hitting us...we are leaving and when we come back,he will be the "Bionic Teen" LoL !!!!! *Heavy Sigh*....

Hi Dairrien's Mom...
    i betcha if you have raised three boys, & i betcha you've done it well...this is just one more bump in the road...granted a really big bump..but i bet back in the day you never thought you'd handle being a single mom, & here you are, doing so well....you will handle the surgery well also...taking it one day at a time, one hour at a time, if need be...

thoughts & prayers will be with you & your son...for your whole family to pull through, which they will.....in a few months, you will look back in awe at how far you've all come & how well you are all doing...just stop, slow down & take some really deep breaths when things seem to be getting too much...draw on the support of family, friends & this forum....& you will do fine! rest when you can...& trust in the hospital staff & doctors to take care of all the medical needs of your son...there may be access to a hospital social worker for other needs...& you will be there to take care of his emotional needs...

best of luck & good wishes...
    jess

Comment

Jess is right, being a single mother is no walk in the park. How do I know? You do the job of two people on a daily basis. This is another challenge and you'll both get through it with wonderful results. Extra strength you didn't know you had, is coming your way. Dairrien is going to have a new body and lots of new possibilities in life, so look ahead to the day when his recovery is complete and life is much better for him. And that means for you too. You just have to get through this first.

Put your trust in the surgeon and his marvellous team. This isn't something they've not done many times before, they will be very experienced and keep your boy safe.

In a few days, Dairrien will be into recovery and you can both look forward to better times. Take one day at a time.

I know you will stay strong for Dairrien! You will be able to pat yourself on the back in a few weeks, knowing you've been through an extremely difficult time and survived!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I remember so well what the time before is like but you and Dairrien will be on the other side before you know it and on the road to recovery. My son has never regretted the surgery. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this very difficult time.

Ramona
        mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
        diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
        also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
        fused T4 to L1

Comment

Prayers for you!!

We are not far behind you. Counting down the weeks until next Thur. then we start counting down the days from 14.
          Prayers for you all that everything goes smoothly!!
          ((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))
          Gina ( and Mandy and the whole Dupree Family!)
          "With God All Things Are Possible"
          Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
          to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

Thank you all for your encouraging words!! It does help to hear others who have been in our situation,and know what we are facing and what we are going through...Its amazing how fast this whole thing has come to be...it seemed just days ago I was sharing Dairriens story..I am packing food and cleaning out our van today..Clothing is packed !!! Dairrien is sleeping now,becuase he could not sleep last night and didnt fall asleep until 3am..its almost 1pm california time..I am in No hurry to wake him..Just going to let him do as he pleases the next couple of days..We have 1 more day at home,and we are off..Thank you for all of your prayers and well wishes...I will be keeping everyone posted after the surgery....

Comment

DairriensMom - you are in my thoughts. We are still weeks away and my mind is spinning - It must be very hard as a single Mom going through this. Prayers for Dairrien during his surgery and recovery.

Dee
              Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
              Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
              Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with your family. Remember to take care of yourself--sleep whenever possible, eat and drink plenty of water. Keep us posted if possible.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Thanks everyone..we are packing up everything and leave at 6am..we are packing up and getting ready to head to bed soon...I will try to take pictures and post them,along with updates..This is SCARY!!!!!
                  I hope to report good news soon...
                  Thanks everyone !!!!!

Comment

Good luck Dairriensmom and Dairrien. It will be fine! Thinking of you and looking forward to that first triumphant post after surgery!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Soon you will be on the "other side."

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Post when you can--don't worry if you can't. You need to take care of Darrien and yourself first.

Take care!
                      Marian

Comment

Dairrien is in surgery....I am here at the Ronald Mcdonald house eating some breakfast and then I will be heading back...will let everyone know how he is doing when he comes out !!I attached a picture of him from this morning..

Comment

He looks great!

He is in good hands.

This will soon be behind both of you!

sharon
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I'm so glad that this wait will soon be over for you and Dairrien and you will be on the "other side" of the surgery. Please let us know how it all went as soon as you can and don't forget to take care of yourself as much as possible during the stressful hospital time. I found it very helpful to keep a little journal of the whole hospital experience - including doctors' and therapists' names, meds and times they were given, any notable activities, etc.

I wish you and Dairrien all the best!
                            Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                            Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                            Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Originally posted by DairriensMom View Post
                              Dairrien is in surgery....I am here at the Ronald Mcdonald house eating some breakfast and then I will be heading back...will let everyone know how he is doing when he comes out !!I attached a picture of him from this morning..
                              How is Darrien?
                              How are you?
                              I am new to posting my little one ( she is my height) is scheduled for 1/6/10
                              I kept prayers and good thoughts for you today!
                              Karen

Comment

Working...
                              X