Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you consider travelling abroad for your surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Two things...

First, I think Shriner's has stopped taking patients from outside the U.S.

Second, Dr. Boachie's foundation FOCOS, operates in Ghana, Barbados, Sierra Leone, and Trinidad at no cost to patients. If someone wants to go to one of those areas from abroad, you can travel to Ghana and have surgery for a relatively small fee. If you're interested:

# Contact Ghana clinic
    (+233 21 512123 or +233 21 512256)
    # Schedule an appointment with Dr. J. Boatey, Head of Spine
    # If you have x-rays, imaging studies can be sent by email.
    # The appointment staff will provide associated cost for consultations.

--Linda
    Did I miss something on Shriners, Linda? I don't see another post that mentions patients outside the US before your note they don't accept non-US patients: I was just saying there's no reason for US citizens under 19 to travel abroad with Shriners and TSRH. Maybe you were just clarifying since they did make exceptions to that in the past?

Re: FOCUS ...

I had no idea someone could travel to one of Boachie's locations and have surgery, but that's fantastic. Definitely something I'd consider as a patient, and definitely minus the usual "out of US" concerns.

Do you have any idea on the number of US patients that currently receive care this way, and what a "relatively small fee" amounts to?

Thanks for posting that ... GREAT info to have!

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      Two things...

First, I think Shriner's has stopped taking patients from outside the U.S.

Hi Linda,

I don't know what, if anything, Shriners has adopted as their official policy regarding patients outside the U.S., but I do know a patient from Canada who was recently seen at Shriners in Philly.

Best regards,
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Here's the info from their site:

"Application Procedures for Orthopaedic Care, Spinal Cord Rehabilitation, Cleft Lip and Palate Repair and Non-Emergency Burn Care
        The service area of Shriners Hospitals for Children includes the United States (including Puerto Rico), Canada, the Republic of Panama and Mexico. As of April 2009, we are temporarily not accepting new patients residing outside of these areas. "

http://www.shrinershq.org/Admission/

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
          Did I miss something on Shriners, Linda? I don't see another post that mentions patients outside the US before your note they don't accept non-US patients: I was just saying there's no reason for US citizens under 19 to travel abroad with Shriners and TSRH. Maybe you were just clarifying since they did make exceptions to that in the past?
          Hi...

I made an assumption that the original poster was talking about someone outside of the U.S., since she is Australian, and was talking about Australians who went overseas for their surgeries.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X