Moderate? Really??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
    I noticed that - so now I have a new question. Is rotation a factor that should be considered in an accurate measurement of one's condition ... for purposes of treatment recommendations?
    I think rotation is a very important factor. My PT said I did not have a lot of rotation last year, but recently anther professional said I have a lot. What to believe? Did it worsen? If so how, and how do I prevent that. I try to figure out how to de-rotate; I found a helpful suggestion this weekend and I will try to locate it on the web - was not feeling well and did lots of web-browsing on our ever-popular topic
    Last edited by dailystrength; 01-18-2010, 08:23 PM.
    34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
    Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

Ha-ha! Yes, it is our ever favorite topic isn't it? I very much look forward to your posting on the de-rotation. Lots of theories on that.

Comment

[COLOR="Navy"]Another component that can also affect readings, is the time of day that an xray may be taken.

Too deep - maybe, maybe not.
        Absolutely. This is pretty well documented that curves are larger in the afternoon. Discs 'dehydrate' throughout the day. Even straight spines are taller in the morning.

There are other methods of assessing overall condition. Why they are not used more often is a question I can't answer. I do wonder sometimes if it has to do with time and money. One of those methods is the Biometrix Formetric - a radiation & contrast free scan. I don't know a lot about it - think it is not meant as an initial diagnostic tool but rather as a tool that can assess any changes that may require further investigation (xray). I believe it may be used in Germany more than other countries at present. My most recent scan attached. Interesting that things like convexities/concavities are pretty easy to see. Are you familiar with this method Kevin?
        Time, money, training, space, etc... Plus they are just as susceptible to the same variation as x-rays. Lots of reasons they don't look at other options.

I know they use Biometrix in Germany. H. Weiss uses them in the Schroth Clinic. It's an interesting procedure but requires a dedicated room that can be completely blacked out. It also requires that the patients completely remove the top half of clothing and pull the bottoms down quite a bit to fully expose the top half of the hips/pelvis. Of course this is frequently done in the exam room anyway.

My mentor (Asher) worked with Suzuki to help validate the POTSI and Suzuki rib hump sum. I believe the findings were a weak to moderate correlation with x-ray findings. So they kind of lost interest as a direction for research or changing clinical practice. Also, for the time involved in setting everything up, a good doctor can generate the same findings using their own surface measurements, scoliometer, waist crease, should height, etc...

Comment

Ha-ha! Yes, it is our ever favorite topic isn't it? I very much look forward to your posting on the de-rotation. Lots of theories on that.
          Thank you for your interest but I am so sorry- I thought I had saved it but can't locate it- I will be sure to post it if I find it.

Comment

Originally posted by dailystrength View Post
            Thank you for your interest but I am so sorry- I thought I had saved it but can't locate it- I will be sure to post it if I find it.
            That's too bad. I really was looking forward to what you had found. I've got some info too - in book form, if I have time this weekend I'll scan and post.

Comment

That's too bad. I really was looking forward to what you had found. I've got some info too - in book form, if I have time this weekend I'll scan and post.

Hey there,

Last week I bought on Amazon: Katrina Schroth's 3-D book as well as a new one which I recommend: Twists, Curves, and Bends. Excellent resource, it appears! I am looking forward to going through it, when the Olympics ends and I get my evenings back

Comment

Hey there,

Last week I bought on Amazon: Katrina Schroth's 3-D book as well as a new one which I recommend: Twists, Curves, and Bends. Excellent resource, it appears! I am looking forward to going through it, when the Olympics ends and I get my evenings back
                I have that Scroth book, I need to find it and read it, thanks for the reminder. Let us know what you think of the Twists... book, I am very interested in getting it myself.
                Thanks!

Comment

Hey there,

I took a look at Twists/Curves/Bends at amazon - looks good. Put it on my book list - will wait for your review ;-) The Olympics are rather ruling the air ways here too. The ice skater who lost her mom recently but went on to complete a great performance - amazing that. Yes, I was in tears!

Comment

I took a look at Twists/Curves/Bends at amazon - looks good. Put it on my book list - will wait for your review ;-) The Olympics are rather ruling the air ways here too. The ice skater who lost her mom recently but went on to complete a great performance - amazing that. Yes, I was in tears!
                    I think that was the best Olympic moment... so dramatic; how great she got a medal. But we digress....
                    I will make time in my schedule for the book. On a side note, I bought a bike on Saturday and hope to get out more- was out for a ride a week ago and discovered some good roads. As long as I keep moving, I seem to manage pretty well.
                    Last edited by dailystrength; 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM.

Comment

thanks again

Hi gang!

Update: I've been going to the gym and am pretty much done with PT....feeling better a bit, but I think a lot of that has to do with my back spasms calming down after the last "flare up."

I saw the surgeon today. He re-measured for me--much closer to the degree Skevimc got. 44 on top...36 I think on bottom. I'll go back for another set of xrays in 2 years.

I guess it was reassuring to hear from a doctor that it's not strange to have such pain from a "moderate" case. The fact that surgery may or may not help pain adds to my original thoughts about not doing surgery.

I don't know why I just feel kind of bummed out tonight. I guess there is no miracle answer, and this is how it is, and it's really up to me to exercise and get strong...I'll aim to feel empowered by this tomorrow.

Best wishes to you all tonight. Thanks so much for your support!
                      Cristy

Comment

Yay!

Yay, that's wonderful, Cristy. I am so glad that you are finding ways to relieve pain. It may take more time also and changing routines as you go. Please also see the book I just found: Curves, Twists, and Bends by Annette Wellings (find on Amazon)-- that is really helping me. If I come home at the end of the day at the office with pain, a few of her stretches really take it away. (Mamamax, take note; my review is very favorable!- I am learning one or two a day and they are so restful that I love to do them! Really ha ha)

I am also glad to hear your doctor said the same as mine - that surgery will not take away pain necessarily; mine added that it may just give you different pain.

About the ups and downs, in the book I mentioned, I found a "friend" in the author, who lives with a pretty severe curve also and who changed careers from linguist to Pilates teacher to find out how to help us all. She talks about the psychology of dealing with scoliosis and one of the ways, which was her and which I can relate to, is trying harder and harder ("I will fight this!") She says to just "listen" to your back. It is so reassuring. I can't recommend the book highly enough-only $12 or so. Yes, this is something we need to accept - work with it, find out and do what we can to help, rest when we need to, and take care of ourselves.

Thank you for your follow-up post.
                        Christina

Comment

Please also see the book I just found: Curves, Twists, and Bends by Annette Wellings (find on Amazon)-- that is really helping me. If I come home at the end of the day at the office with pain, a few of her stretches really take it away. (Mamamax, take note; my review is very favorable!- I am learning one or two a day and they are so restful that I love to do them! Really ha ha)

I found a "friend" in the author, who lives with a pretty severe curve also and who changed careers from linguist to Pilates teacher to find out how to help us all. She talks about the psychology of dealing with scoliosis and one of the ways, which was her and which I can relate to, is trying harder and harder ("I will fight this!") She says to just "listen" to your back. It is so reassuring. I can't recommend the book highly enough-only $12 or so. Yes, this is something we need to accept - work with it, find out and do what we can to help, rest when we need to, and take care of ourselves.
                          ok Christina - you convinced me. Just ordered the last copy available at Amazon and look forward to the read! Thanks :-)

Comment

Book

You are welcome! I hope you enjoy it - it's easy to follow and read. Hope you had a good week!

Comment

Great chair!

Hey all - I just wanted to mention the new chair I got for work - the Giaim Balance Ball Chair. By the end of the day I felt I could sit for three more hours- in other words, no pain. It works with my imbalances to create an individually-tailored sitting surface. I recommend it. Read all the Amazon reviews, but it works for me!

Comment

Dailystrength - I consider my office chair nothing more than the ultimate torture device (and yes, I've tried every so called ergonomic adjustment I can think of). I've often wondered if your chair was worth the investment. How long have you been using it? Very glad for you :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X