Savannah - 20 months out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savannah - 20 months out

This was the appointment a year after the 8 month appointment when she was released from restrictions.

No change from the 8-month radiograph which itself showed no change from the 6 week radiograph. The sagittal balance is perfect as are her overall plumb lines. She is stable and has a solid fusion apparently. She got a good result.

He was going to release her if it was two years post menarche. Since it is only about a year, though, he wants to see her one more time in a year and then release her. If everything is fine at that point then that is the last time Savannah will see the surgeon.

Since maturity came up on the group recently, I asked about Risser, Whitehouse-Tanner, etc. and he again said that w.r.t. determining maturity and therefore growth remaining, it is still looking like good old chronological age is the best indicator. None of those radiographic methods are better. I guess age and being 2-years post menarche would be the gold standards at this point. Good to know.

One almost down, one more to go...
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

I don't think you could have asked for any better results for Savannah. I'm happy to hear how well she's doing.

Congrats!!

(And I'm sure her sister will follow in her footsteps.)
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Awesome news, Sharon ... I hope Willow's recovery proceeds every bit as uneventfully.

It's hard to believe Savannah's 20 months post-op until I remember I'm just days short of 22!

Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks for the good thoughts, Maria.

I keep thinking of Paul Simon's song, "She moves On" when I think of Savannah and scoliosis. The song has nothing to do with scoliosis and is in fact about Simon's relationship with Carrie Fisher but I just can't get the title out of my head.

In fact Savannah moved on a few months after her surgery. She never thinks about it.

Neither does Willow apparently who is only 58 days out. She moves on.

It has been my great fortune in life to have found a great surgeon.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hey Pam!

Glad you are posting again.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

It's amazing that you are coming up on 2 years!

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Excellent news about Savannah, Sharon. No doubt Willow will follow in her footsteps.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Thanks Mary Ellen.

It used to seem like a lot to hope for that both of them would be okay. Almost too much. But it seems to be coming true.

What I lost of life in all the worry over this I am slowly gaining back as I see them move on. I'm thinking you might dig that too for your son, yes?

I hope others take hope in these testimonials.
              Last edited by Pooka1; 12-04-2009, 06:22 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

That's good news Sharon! And even better to hear that both of the girls have "moved on". Does the ortho recommend periodic xrays through adulthood and if so how frequently? (i.e. 5 years? 10 years?). Or as long as she is pain free, does he think it isn't necessary?
                daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Originally posted by jillw View Post
                  That's good news Sharon! And even better to hear that both of the girls have "moved on". Does the ortho recommend periodic xrays through adulthood and if so how frequently? (i.e. 5 years? 10 years?). Or as long as she is pain free, does he think it isn't necessary?
                  Thanks, Jill.

I don't know what he will recommend. If he released her today I'm sure he would have said what should happen.

Savannah just turned 15 so he will release her when she is 16. That means at least that he doesn't feel she would need more radiographs for at least two years as he only does pediatric.

It will be interesting to hear what he says next year. Actually if I can remember I'll ask him what he will tell Savannah when we see him next June for Willow's 8 month appointment.

Now that I think of it, Willow's 20 month appointment (June 2011) is likely the last time either girl or I will see the surgeon. Funny to think about that.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Good news

Sharon

Good news on Savannah. I hope Willow follows in her shoes.

Funny how we have to put so much thought into this, the stress, the worry,the planning, the logistics, and everything else that goes with scoliosis surgery.

Then you have the surgery, and have to come back down the mountain of recovery. And after your recovered after all of this interaction with your surgeon, he says, "good news, you no longer have to come in again to see me"

Yes, its good news.

Those of us who have built relationships with our surgeons through the years have to accept this good news.... its almost like being Edwin Aldrin, and after coming back from the moon, saying goodbye to Neil Armstrong.

Not great news, but good news.

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      Those of us who have built relationships with our surgeons through the years have to accept this good news.... its almost like being Edwin Aldrin, and after coming back from the moon, saying goodbye to Neil Armstrong.

Not great news, but good news.

Ed
                      Ingeniously perfect analogy, Ed! Damn.

Yes that exactly captures it.

This surgeon arguably saved their life. How do you thank someone for saving both your kids? How do you express that?

It must be so beyond cool to be a surgeon.

He moves on and so do we. Our paths crossing has made all the difference to us. There is something so exquisitely beautiful about Savannah's correction. I don't know if it is just because it's the first I saw or that it was really just so perfect in alignment. I thought Willow's was very good looking also but I wasn't bowled over like with Savannah's.

I will never forget him or what he did for my kids.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Super news Sharon - very happy for you and your daughters & wishing you all continued success!!!!!

Comment

happy........

All these posts have put a song in my heart and a skip in my step

So happy for you Pooka1, you have no idea!!!!!!

Your girls give me hope that there is light at the end of this long scoliosis tunnel......

Continued success...

Hope.........404

Comment

Mamamax and Hope, thanks so much for the kind thoughts.

I came into this thinking this surgery was a science. In contrast it seems to have a large component of art to it. These guys are doing stuff by eye and feel.

I asked the surgeon if these T4-L1 fusions were pretty routine because they seem to be common levels fused for T curves. He took me to be asking if the decisions to operate were routine and said in my girls' cases there was no choice but that other people are not in emergency mode and it isn't clear whether or not to operate. I think we saw some of this in that one video of the three surgeons disagreeing on what they would do with particular 50* scoliosis cases. I am very glad to have escaped the doubt as we had no choice.

I clarified what I was asking and he said Savannah at least was not straightforward and routine. Don't know about Willow. I think he is referring to the amount of rotation she had but I don't know that. There is a universe of things I don't know about that he could be referring to.

And still he took out 95% of that rotation and she is at 5*.

You almost can't say enough about these guys.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

It's really great your daughters got such good results. I am happy to know that these orthopedic surgeons are there should my daughter for some reason continue to progress in the future.

I was astounded yesterday when my son called home from college and said he had decided to major in molecular biology. He really wants to become a battlefield surgeon. We'll see if he has what it takes...

Well, more power to these MDs, thank God they're around.
                              Last edited by Ballet Mom; 12-04-2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X