Serious pain in neck, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious pain in neck, need advice

I had a CT/Myelogram on November 9th and about 10 days later, I started have severe pain in my neck radiating down my neck toward my shoulder. I have been icing it later in the day as the pain begins to get worse as the day progresses. I was wondering if the CT/Myelogram could have precipitated this since I was required to lay on my stomach for a long period of time. I never lay on my stomach because it hurts my neck when I do. I know I have arthritis in my neck but have been able to keep pain under control and have been able to maintain a fairly good range of motion for the last 10 years by doing physical therapy exercises at home. Now the pain is worse than it has ever been. I plan on calling Dr. Rand on Monday. I have delayed calling him because I was hoping it would get better on its own and because of the holiday. Any thoughts or advice about this?

Thanks, Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Dear Sally
    i had a myleogram a few years ago to check on my scoli, etc...got no headache or neck pain, as i lay flat for 3 or 4 hours after, whatever the instructions were...i have a chronic stiff neck left over from lyme disease(arthritis) (it is a classic lyme symptom that often stays beyond the treatment) & my neck "cracks" often when i bend it...turning head to side & laying on stomach causes me alot of pain & discomfort....

did you follow all the directions after the myleogram...i mean, did you get the dreaded headache? have you tried tylenol..just the basic non prescription pain meds?? i think you kicked up the arthritis by laying in that position...i know it happens to me if i turn over in my sleep & wake up on my stomach...

if you followed the directions, i would go ahead & not hesitate to call your doctor..until then..does heat or cold work better for it??? i usually go with heat, but i think it is just an individual thing...

hope you feel better soon...
    jess
    Last edited by jrnyc; 11-28-2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I definitely get back neck pain whenever I have to do anything that requires me to lie on my stomach (always for medical procedures - seems you can't fix one thing without hurting something else)

I've actually found warm showers help me more than ice while I'm waiting for whatever caused the pain to stop. I have some really simple exercises with very light weights help me as well.

I'd definitely still call the doctor about it (especially since it's been so long for you - my pain doesn't usually last for 10 days, for me it's more like 4 or 5), but just wanted you to know I've also noticed a connection between lying on my stomach and neck pain.
      - 39 years old
      - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
      - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
      - Harrington rod
      - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
      - New mommy as of February 2011
      - Second child - September 2013
      - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

So sorry to hear this Sally. I always used to get neck pain when I was stressed.

I hope this resolves itself quickly. Please let us know.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
          Dear Sally

did you follow all the directions after the myleogram...i mean, did you get the dreaded headache? have you tried tylenol..just the basic non prescription pain meds?? i think you kicked up the arthritis by laying in that position...i know it happens to me if i turn over in my sleep & wake up on my stomach...

if you followed the directions, i would go ahead & not hesitate to call your doctor..until then..does heat or cold work better for it??? i usually go with heat, but i think it is just an individual thing...

hope you feel better soon...
          jess
          Thanks Jess, Yes, I followed the directions to the letter. I did not get the dreaded headache. I was on my stomach for the procedure and was in the corridor quite a while waiting for the Ct scan after the myelogram on my stomach the whole time. I didn't try tyelonol because the pain was too strong. I had a few oxycodone pills left over from my surgery, so I have been taking one of those later in the day when the pain gets really bad. So far today, the pain isn't too bad and a friend suggested taking anti-inflammatories for a few days and see what happens. Cold seems to work better than heat so far.

Thanks also SisforSarah and JenniferG I used to get neck pain when stressed also, but I am retired now and don't get stressed too often unless we have to drive into Boston in the traffic. I also have exercises I can do, but the pain has been too strong to do them. Hopefully this thing will settle down soon and I can do the exercises again.

I will keep you posted and thanks again for your replies.

Sally
          Last edited by loves to skate; 11-29-2009, 02:33 PM.

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi,

Dr. Rand called me about my CT/Myelogram this evening so I told him about the pain in my neck. He looked at my cervical MRI report from 2 1/2 years ago and said I have arthritis in the facet joint at C4-C5, so since he will be scheduling a nerve block for my lumbar at L4-L5, he will have them give me a facet injection at C4-C5 at the same appointment. I hope it works.

Sally

Comment

Hi Sally
              i am so glad you spoke to your doctor...i hope the shots help, too....& that you feel better fast!
              arthritis is a pain in the neck...

jess

Comment

I hope you get the relief you need and you don't have long to wait, Sally. Let us know how it goes. Best of luck.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                X