Pre Op visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre Op visit

I just got a call today to schedule my pre op visit. Okay now I am really getting nervous. I have been waiting for this surgery for almost three months now,and now I am realizing that this is really going to happen in just three weeks. What should I expect at this visit?
    Diagnosed @ at of 11
    Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
    Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
    (was told would never get worse)
    Surgery November 11, 2009
    Fused T6-T12
    Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
    Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

I had quite a few preop visits...my internist, my orthopedic doctor, the general surgeon who did the approach and my cardiologist. I found that I really needed to write down any questions I had because I would get very overwhelmed and forget what to say.
    After all that, I really only needed preop bloodwork. Good luck with everything! You will do great!
    Kathy, 43
    Diagnosed as a teen
    Boston brace 2 years
    63 degree lumbar curve
    Surgery August 26, 2009
    Anterior approach fused T12-L4
    now 28 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by loris View Post
      I just got a call today to schedule my pre op visit. Okay now I am really getting nervous. I have been waiting for this surgery for almost three months now,and now I am realizing that this is really going to happen in just three weeks. What should I expect at this visit?
      From what I recall, it was like a regular physical--bloodwork, EKG, and a general 'once-over' to make sure you're healthy for surgery. I already had my xrays 4 months earlier, so they didn't repeat those. Prior to the preop visit, I had a MRI done that the Dr. looked at as well. It's not that it was a bad visit, it just REALLY drives it home that this is for real.

You'll be fine and it will be all over before you know it.

Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

It does make it all seem real now doesn't it? I remember feeling the same. Mine was about a month and a half before in Feb. and I had been waiting since Sept. appt. I had new x-rays--it had changed more--and I can't even remember what tests were left. A lot of it was with his nurse who also followed progress every day in the hospital. We were often in communication with her before and since surgery. She was wonderful. I tried to keep myself really busy with ALL the stuff I had to do because I couldn't do it after surgery. I managed to do that pretty well--mostly continuing lots of exercise which really did pay off. Most p.t. people, doctors, etc. were all pretty amazed at my progress for having so much done.
        It will happen and you will be glad to be on the other side. It's just getting there, I know! Good luck! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Loris,

I also had several pro-op visits, MRI, EKG, blood work, Xrays, etc.

On my final pro-op when the Doc told me I was going to have ant. and post., that's the last thing I remember. Take someone with you to listen for you, and I had written down questions for that person to ask, just in case I suddenly became speechless.

Once I got home and got over the shock and awe of it all, shed some tears, then got down to reading the information. They also gave me pamphlets about the surgeries that I was about to have. Then I called his nurse asked about a half hour of questions. Once it sank in, I had a strange calm.

Good Luck to you, all my best,
          Shari

Comment

Strangely enough, I didn't have a pre-op visit. I was booked into the hospital the afternoon before surgery so I expected it to happen then. But all that happened was the surgeon's assistant came to talk to me. I still think it was odd that they didn't even do a blood test. My x-rays from my one and only surgeon's appt were 9 months old. They re-did them on the table.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Loris,
              I had my pre-op with a General Physician, just to make sure i was o.k. to undergo 6 hours of surgery ( i was worried about long anaesthesia and the fact that i only gave up smoking three month before surgery). At this appt,
              he checked me physically, checked my recent x-rays, asked me about past surgeries, then had some bloods done. All this information was then passed on to my GP, my surgeon, my anaesthetist and my admitting hospital.
              On the week before surgery, i had pre-op done at the hospital. The hospital where i went, does this for all spinal fusion patients, however, due to the extent of the pre-op assessment done, there was not much to do except for another ECG. The nurse also explained how i would be card for by the nursing staff after the surgery and the role of the physiotherapist. Hope this helps.
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior
              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
              X