X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

panadol/tylenol?

Hi Sharon,
    ran a search on Wikipaedia and found the following:-
    Only in the U.S. and Canada is paracetamol known as "acetaminophen".
    Question answered.
    She is doing really well. I used only panadol on and off from day 15 post-op.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      The news hits everyone hard. Please don't sweat that.

Please post any questions you have. There is a bunch of us who can chime in with some answers if we know them. We may not... I know I have been stumped with certain questions.

Surgeons have their own way of doing things and there are a lot of things where there is no one right answer.

Good luck.

ps. It's Day 13 and I hear my kid practicing her drums. I expect she will go to this week's lesson. Light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for the advise! It was a long time before I could even sit down and read through this forum. I'm so glad I worked up the nerve - there is so much positive energy and encouragement from everyone one this forum.

Hearing the stories of progress helps so much! Your daughters stories of surgery and recovery are amazing! It really helps me gather strength.

My thoughts are with all going through this for positive results and heathly futures.

Thanks again for sharing. Our next appointment is 10/26 and I think I'm more prepared from the info learned from this forum and have new strength to deal with the results.

Wishing speedy recovery to Willow!!
      Dee
      Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
      Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
      Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Originally posted by Vali View Post
        Hi Sharon,
        ran a search on Wikipaedia and found the following:-
        Only in the U.S. and Canada is paracetamol known as "acetaminophen".
        Question answered.
        She is doing really well. I used only panadol on and off from day 15 post-op.
        Hey thanks for looking that up.

It sounds like you really did well getting off the meds!
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by ddb View Post
          Thanks for the advise! It was a long time before I could even sit down and read through this forum. I'm so glad I worked up the nerve - there is so much positive energy and encouragement from everyone one this forum.

Hearing the stories of progress helps so much! Your daughters stories of surgery and recovery are amazing! It really helps me gather strength.

My thoughts are with all going through this for positive results and healthy futures.

Thanks again for sharing. Our next appointment is 10/26 and I think I'm more prepared from the info learned from this forum and have new strength to deal with the results.

Wishing speedy recovery to Willow!!
          Dee
          Thanks, Dee. I appreciate your kind words.

This place is a village that has really helked me on my journey to help my kids. I am contributing back whatever I can to help as are a bunch of other folks.

Good luck on 10/26.

Ask your surgeon about how safe this surgery has become. I think what tends to blow people's minds is the fear of permanent neurological injury. With the advent of real time neuro monitoring, the injury rate, already fairly low, is now really small. And many injuries tend to resolve completely. It's good to have the facts which in my case calmed my nerves.
          Last edited by Pooka1; 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I've been away over the last 10 days, Sharon. Great to hear how well Willow is doing. Drums--imagine!

Mary Ellen

Comment

Thanks Mary Ellen.

Glad you are back.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon
                Willow plays drums! That's great! I played for 18 years. I started as a lead snare drummer in a PAL band in 1967. Switched to jazz and jazz rock.

Watch these till the end as they get very complex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8cvKImVadE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK2RT_9Kri8

Just goes to show that you can never practice enough rudiments in drumming..

It starts with common time 4/4 drumming and NEVER ends.............

I've been very busy lately with work projects. All I can do lately is glance at the forum.
                I'm an old drummer and had to respond to this.
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ti Ed! That's great that you play. I know you mentioned you are musical and so is your family. I'll send her those clips.

Willow loves it. She practices at least once a day and twice or three times if she has time.

She is not a prodigy but her drum teacher is working with a 5 or 6 year old who is.

There are also some very talented older kids... one composed a solo drum piece was was really astounding.
                  Last edited by Pooka1; 10-21-2009, 11:49 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    Cool! She must be quite accomplished by now.

Yes, Tracy is quite accomplished. Playing drums is what she does.

Willow plays standard drum set drums as far as I know what it's called. She has been taking lesson for a bit over a year so she's really just begun. She seems to love it, looks forward to her lessons, and practices at least once a day on her own.

Cool! Tracy started out on the snare drum (ask Willow, she'll show you which one it is in the drum set ) before 4th grade and that's her favorite drum. However, we have a drum set sitting in the middle of our dining room with the table pushed into the corner to make room for the set.

Her sister Savannah plays guitar and they have a band with another girl who sings and are trying to recruit yet another girl who has been taking bass lessons for years. Is "bass" correct? That's a fish, no? Os that also how you spell the instrument? It looks funny.

Do the girls have their band practice at your house? It takes a wonderful parent to allow band practice at their house. LOL I love my girls being involved in musical things. Jamie played the flute from 4th-8th grade in the school band until she discovered competitive swimming and Tracy has been in the school bands since 4th grade. She does marching and concert band and loves it! You will know Savannah is totally hooking on the drums when she starts drumming on EVERYTHING with her fingers and doesn't even realize she is doing it! I'll be talking to Tracy and she'll be drumming on the counter and not even realize she is doing it.

My husband is musical... they get any talent they might have from him. He played in a country/western wedding band for several years with his parents. He also has been composing songs for years.
                    A musical husband and daughters....hmmmm, does that make you their groupie?

Mary Lou
                    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
                      Do the girls have their band practice at your house? It takes a wonderful parent to allow band practice at their house. LOL I love my girls being involved in musical things. Jamie played the flute from 4th-8th grade in the school band until she discovered competitive swimming and Tracy has been in the school bands since 4th grade. She does marching and concert band and loves it! You will know Willow is totally hooking on the drums when she starts drumming on EVERYTHING with her fingers and doesn't even realize she is doing it! I'll be talking to Tracy and she'll be drumming on the counter and not even realize she is doing it.
                      My husband drums on everything but Willow hasn't started that yet.

Willow has a regular kit and an electronic kit both of which are in the music room above the DETACHED garage. She prefers the regular one. Still I can hear her practice from my home office in our house. The music room is my husband's home office but also where he keeps some of his many guitars and where he records songs using Cakewalk? (or whatever it is).

A musical husband and daughters....hmmmm, does that make you their groupie?
                      I think so if the "groupie" is the one driving folks to and from lessons.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Mary Lou

I must be reading really fast or going blind to have missed your post about Tracy. Yes, she must be good after 14 years.

I know what that's like with the drums in the dining room! LOL

I have not been playing for a few years now. I had too many "back issues" and was in too much pain to practice leading up to my surgeries. I know that it will take a few months at 3-4 hrs per day just to get up to snuff. Not to mention all the "hand stuff" we drummers go through. I'm thinking of blowing the dust off and setting back up again. I will start practicing to "tie a yellow ribbon, round the old oak tree".....

I don't think you are a groupie. Maybe a "bandie"
                        Here is a John Bonham triplet lesson tid bit for the girls. LOL
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwffE1FfCdo

I think about how drumming and skiing have really covered all the muscle groups. I wonder how that affected my scoliosis through the years?
                        Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ti Ed, Thanks for that video! I think Willow will dig it.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                            Mary Lou

I must be reading really fast or going blind to have missed your post about Tracy. Yes, she must be good after 14 years.

I know what that's like with the drums in the dining room! LOL

I have not been playing for a few years now. I had too many "back issues" and was in too much pain to practice leading up to my surgeries. I know that it will take a few months at 3-4 hrs per day just to get up to snuff. Not to mention all the "hand stuff" we drummers go through. I'm thinking of blowing the dust off and setting back up again. I will start practicing to "tie a yellow ribbon, round the old oak tree".....

I don't think you are a groupie. Maybe a "bandie"
                            Here is a John Bonham triplet lesson tid bit for the girls. LOL
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwffE1FfCdo

I think about how drumming and skiing have really covered all the muscle groups. I wonder how that affected my scoliosis through the years?
                            Ed
                            Hi Ed,

Don't worry about missing my reply about Tracy--you found it now, so that's all that matters! Correction--she's been playing about 8 years or so. If she had been playing for 14 years, I've have to say she is a prodigy since she is only 16 now! Sorry if this sounds like I'm bragging, but I am very proud of her accomplishments. Last year she was the only girl drummer who made it to the High School County Band and at tryouts she earned first chair. For those not familiar with County Band, it is kids from all over our county and tryouts are not easy. Tracy has been practicing her music for County Band tryouts since the spring and tryouts aren't unil the beginning of December!

Dining room includes: drum set, flute, keyboards, and a guitar. LOL

Back issues: yeah, drumming and back issues don't work well together. I hope you can get back into playing. Tracy is my "non-Scoli" child and if she had been the one to need a spinal fusion, I'm pretty sure it would have ended her marching band activities. It would have crushed her!

Thanks for the link. Tracy will love it.

Mary Lou

P.S. Maybe we need to start a "Hobby" thread instead of highjacking someone else's thread!
                            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
                              Sorry if this sounds like I'm bragging, but I am very proud of her accomplishments. Last year she was the only girl drummer who made it to the High School County Band and at tryouts she earned first chair. For those not familiar with County Band, it is kids from all over our county and tryouts are not easy. Tracy has been practicing her music for County Band tryouts since the spring and tryouts aren't until the beginning of December!
                              No that's not bragging... that's AMAZING! Congratulations to Tracy!

Dining room includes: drum set, flute, keyboards, and a guitar. LOL

P.S. Maybe we need to start a "Hobby" thread instead of highjacking someone else's thread!
                              No actually I just showed this thread and these videos to Will and the drum stuff is probably the only stuff she finds interesting! So if she doesn't consider it hijacking then we shouldn't!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I've been gone for a few days and finally came on and found this interesting conversation. First, Sharon, I'm so glad that Willow is doing so well. It's great that she's already playing her drums and able to focus on that for a while each day.

You had asked about how the Alexander Technique is going. I think it's helping somewhat so we're continuing with it for a while even though it's expensive and not covered by insurance.

I wanted to ask Snoopy/Mary Lou why you think that your daughter couldn't have been in the marching band after a spinal fusion. That worries me because Alexander plays clarinet (and piano) and really wants to be in the marching band at his first opportunity next spring. He's totally looking forward to it so I hope it won't be a problem.

Since we're talking about our kids and their instruments, my other son, Zach, plays guitar, just started trumpet and really loves the drums although we don't have a set because we don't have room for a drumset right now. He drums on anything though, with any object, everywhere.
                                Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                                Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                                Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
                                X