Willow - Day 12 - meds data point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willow - Day 12 - meds data point

If anyone is even following along any more at this point and I wouldn't blame them if they weren't...

Ran out of the prescription meds (percoset, 60 pills) today and transitioned to Tylenol. I was a little worried at first but it seems to be working well enough at the moment. We will see. We were able to go out to eat tonight on straight Tylenol so that's a good sign.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

That's really amazing, on Day 12. She's doing wonderfully well. Sounds like life is returning to normal already.

I won't mention what I was on/doing on Day 12.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'm guessing that your Tylenol (don't know if we have it here?) is the same as our Panadol (paracetamol). If it is, she is doing great and oh to go out for dinner on day 12 - excellent! According to my journal, i was still spending a lot of time in bed and could not really stomach anything. Keep up the good work! Like i have said before - kids are resilient!
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
        That's really amazing, on Day 12. She's doing wonderfully well. Sounds like life is returning to normal already.

I won't mention what I was on/doing on Day 12.
        Yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel. There usually is.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Vali View Post
          I'm guessing that your Tylenol (don't know if we have it here?) is the same as our Panadol (paracetamol). If it is, she is doing great and oh to go out for dinner on day 12 - excellent! According to my journal, i was still spending a lot of time in bed and could not really stomach anything. Keep up the good work! Like i have said before - kids are resilient!
          Well, like you, her appetite is still coming back and not there yet. That was the most food I've seen her eat since surgery although I really haven't been watching her in that way. I know she does eat some.

And in re Panadol, I think it's the same though Tylenol is acetaminophen I think. So now we have to ask if paracetamol is the same as acetaminophen.

And I just looked at the bottle... they substituted "oxycodone-APAP 5-325 mg TABMCK" for the percosets. I guess it is equivalent. So she was taking that instead of percosets.

Oh and someone asked about tapering... we did not taper... she took the last hit of two pills on time. She never took less than the two pills and always by 6 hours but usually after 4 or 5 hours. That's why I was worried that she would fall off a ledge when transitioning to the straight Tylenol. But it hasn't happened. Fooled me.

I didn't think to post this kind of data for the first kid. It's just I have noticed several posts asking about pain meds so it seems people might be interested in it. It seems to me it's just a function of pain tolerance which I think is largely but not completely physiologically based.

And the meds situation with adults is just different unfortunately. It's so much harder.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Congratulations on Willow's ongoing successful recovrery. She's doing great. My guess is part of that is due to her youth and part is due to her wonderful support team (family) at home, which I believe makes a world of difference.

Please keep posting on her recovery as I, for one, am very interested and watching, and wishing her the very best of recoveries.
            ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
            Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
            Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
            Now curve is T38*, L53*
            Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Hi Sharon,

I'm so glad to hear how great Willow is doing. It sounds like she's off the pain meds really early - great news!
              Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
              Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
              Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Originally posted by valleygirl View Post
                Congratulations on Willow's ongoing successful recovery. She's doing great. My guess is part of that is due to her youth and part is due to her wonderful support team (family) at home, which I believe makes a world of difference.

Please keep posting on her recovery as I, for one, am very interested and watching, and wishing her the very best of recoveries.
                Hey Valleygirl, thanks so much for the post and the kind words. She's lucky to have the physiology she has that let's her bounce back from this. Her identical twin was not so lucky and suffered more.

Ill keep posting on topics that folks seem interested in. New folks come along and you just can't guess what they might want to know. That's why I'm doing this and trying to label the threads in some logical way so anyone who wants can follow each of my kid's recovery, albeit as only two data points.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by laurieg6 View Post
                  Hi Sharon,

I'm so glad to hear how great Willow is doing. It sounds like she's off the pain meds really early - great news!
                  She's not off pain meds! She is on the maximum daily dose of Tylenol and will be on that for the next several days I am guessing. She would be doing the narcotic if she had them.

I was a little worried about running through the narcotic but not so bad as for the other kid... we were rationing those towards the end so she wouldn't have to go off them cold turkey. She managed on Tylenol after they were gone but it was dicey... very dicey in my opinion.

Thanks for the note.

By the way, I've been wondering how Alex is doing with the Alexander Technique. Are you still seeing good results? Does he like the name of the technique?
                  Last edited by Pooka1; 10-19-2009, 05:33 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I look forward to your updates. Please keep them up. I'm more lurking now - we will know after next weeks appointment more about when surgery will be scheduled. The news hit us hard so reading through updates helps a lot!! Thanks for sharing.

Dee
                    Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                    Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                    Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Originally posted by ddb View Post
                      I look forward to your updates. Please keep them up. I'm more lurking now - we will know after next weeks appointment more about when surgery will be scheduled. The news hit us hard so reading through updates helps a lot!! Thanks for sharing.

Dee
                      The news hits everyone hard. Please don't sweat that.

Please post any questions you have. There is a bunch of us who can chime in with some answers if we know them. We may not... I know I have been stumped with certain questions.

Surgeons have their own way of doing things and there are a lot of things where there is no one right answer.

Good luck.

ps. It's Day 13 and I hear my kid practicing her drums. I expect she will go to this week's lesson. Light at the end of the tunnel.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Congratulations that Willow is doing so well.

Paula is just a bit past 4 weeks and is down to 1 tab of 10mg oxycontin at night. Later this week we'll drop that last dose.

She's taken nothing for pain during the day, although she complains of stiffness in her right shoulder. I don't know what that is but she doesn't want to take anything for it.

She's very tired though. Sleeps about 12 hrs. at night and is still napping about 2 hrs. during the day. Hope that ends once she's off the oxycontin, however, she still is anemic. We'll find out just how much once we get some blood work done this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                          ps. It's Day 13 and I hear my kid practicing her drums. I expect she will go to this week's lesson. Light at the end of the tunnel.
                          I didn't know your daughter played the drum! What kind does she play?

My 16 y.o. Junior in High School has played the snare drum since 4th grade.

Mary Lou
                          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
                            I didn't know your daughter played the drum! What kind does she play?

My 16 y.o. Junior in High School has played the snare drum since 4th grade.

Mary Lou
                            Cool! She must be quite accomplished by now.

Willow plays standard drum set drums as far as I know what it's called. Forgive me... I'm not a musician. She has been taking lesson for a bit over a year so she's really just begun. She seems to love it, looks forward to her lessons, and practices at least once a day on her own.

Her sister Savannah plays guitar and they have a band with another girl who sings and are trying to recruit yet another girl who has been taking bass lessons for years. Is "bass" correct? That's a fish, no? Os that also how you spell the instrument? It looks funny.

My husband is musical... they get any talent they might have from him. He played in a country/western wedding band for several years with his parents. He also has been composing songs for years.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by pmsmom View Post
                              Congratulations that Willow is doing so well.

Paula is just a bit past 4 weeks and is down to 1 tab of 10mg oxycontin at night. Later this week we'll drop that last dose.

She's taken nothing for pain during the day, although she complains of stiffness in her right shoulder. I don't know what that is but she doesn't want to take anything for it.

She's very tired though. Sleeps about 12 hrs. at night and is still napping about 2 hrs. during the day. Hope that ends once she's off the oxycontin, however, she still is anemic. We'll find out just how much once we get some blood work done this week.
                              Willow sleeps a lot too. I mean A LOT. She is on no set schedule and does not do "day" and "night" at present. She is just up when she's up and asleep when she's asleep. It really doesn't matter until we get a few days out from returning to school.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X