Sacroiliac Joint Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacroiliac Joint Pain

I'm about seven weeks into recovery from my A/P surgery. Today, for some reason, my SI joint area is killing me. It just aches and aches. I am pretty sure I didn't do anything to bring this on. Have any of you experienced this pain?

I took two percocets (I'm still on pain meds) at my regular time and that help just a little. I've put ice on the SI area as well as a Lidoderm patch. I'm still in pain.

Anything else you can suggest to reduce the pain?

Many thanks

Karen
    Karen, 66 years "young"
    Polio at 6
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
    Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
    Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
    Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
    Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Three surgeries in one week:
    8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
    8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
    9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Hi Karen,

Your recovery is still in the early stage, I had severe pain for the first 3 months, and I did have a rough recovery.

I see you are in Baltimore, it could be the damp and cool weather. Have you tried a heating pad or a soak in a hot tub, don't forget the candles!!!

You deserve it,
    Shari

Comment

What exactly is SI joint pain? I get heaps of pain on either sides of my lower lumbar spine and can actually palpate them I think. They seem inflammed, too large for normal. Is surgery usually effective at reducing this pain ?

I don't mean to hijack your thread with questions for myself, but this has got me thinking that most of my lumbar pain is related to SI joint.
      45L/40T
      Surgery 25/1/2010
      Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Karen

A nice hot bath.

I took 4-5 hot baths per day for 3 months. Of course I didnt drain all the water. Just drained about 2-3 inches from the top.

Drink plenty of water if you do this.
        Be careful, do not fall. Move slow.......

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Jimbo

It could be your SI joints.

I went to an Osteopathic Dr years ago before I was fused and he adjusted my SI joints. He grabbed my leg while I was laying on my side and rotated it in a large motion and the joints popped. It relieved a lot of tension, and Chiros usually dont do these adjustments.

I had 4 herniated discs, so my sciatica problems continued. I had great relief from swimming in the ocean. Its also free.
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Shari/Ed, thank you for your suggestions. It is so comforting to know I am not the only one having these reactions. Shari, I'm so sorry your recovery was difficult. Until this week, I thought my recovery was relatively easy. However, this week I am getting a clear message that I should not be too cocky. I'm finding that the more active I get, the more pain I'm experiencing. So, today will be a "baby Karen" day and, yes, I will light those candles in the tub

Ed, thanks for answering Jimbo's question. I never had SI pain until now.

Here's an update: I just got off the phone with my surgeon's nurse-practitioner. She told me that there are several possible explanations for the SI pain I am experiencing. My body is trying to adjust itself to the changes caused by the surgery (which involved fusing through S1). In addition, nerves in the sacral area are often moved around during surgery. She recommended that I try both ice and heat to see which works best.

Have a great day!

Karen
            Karen, 66 years "young"
            Polio at 6

Comment

Hi Karen,

I appreciate your kind thoughts. My surgeries were in May '05, so it's been a while. However, I did have a rough recovery, but I'm pretty much a happy camper now. I missed this forum, I remembered how much it help me through the rough times, prayers helped as well.

I guess my return here, is my chance to give back in any way I can. I went through major depression, without telling a soul. I've cried for 24 hours straight. I lost a lot of sleep in those days. When you are used to being an active independent person, and that comes to a complete halt, those meds look pretty good.

Now I am so proud of what I went through and survived it. It feels good to have my self respect back, and if I can help someone get to that point again, that will make me very happy. Sorry I got sappy. But you can do it too!!!

Just try and remember that your body has just been rearranged, it needs time to adjust, adapt and heal. When you're having a good day, enjoy it, but don't over do it.

All the best,
              Shari

Comment

Hi Shari

I'm glad you decided to come back to the forum. Your comments have already helped me, particularly this:

Just try and remember that your body has just been rearranged, it needs time to adjust, adapt and heal. When you're having a good day, enjoy it, but don't over do it.

Now that the incisions have healed, it is easy to forget that most of the healing is still to come. Like you, I am an active, independent person so this is not only a big adjustment physically, but emotionally as well.

Have a great day!

Karen
                Karen, 66 years "young"
                Polio at 6

Comment

Hi Karen,
                  I had the SI joint pain in hospital (left side) but my thigh pain on the same side was worse. Then at seven weeks, i had pain at the SI joint on the right side. At my eight week checkup, i relayed this to my surgeon, he told me to re-commence taking the Endep which he prescibed for me in hospital. I took it two nights in a row just before going to bed and applied a heat pack to the area, on the third day it was good. I hope that you can find some kind of relief. Best wishes.
                  Vali
                  44 years young! now 45
                  Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                  Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                  St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                  Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                  Post -op - 5 degrees
                  T11 - S1 Posterior
                  L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hi Vali

Thanks for your reply. I'm now in my third day of SI joint pain. A heating pad seems to relieve some of the pain during the day, but overall I'm not any better.

I'm curious about "Endep." I googled the drug and the response said it is an antidepressant. How does this help your SI joint pain?

Cheers!

Karen
                    Karen, 66 years "young"
                    Polio at 6

Comment

Hi Karen,
                      You're right, it is an antidepressant, however, as with most medications these days Endep has a couple of uses. In higher doses to treat depression and in small doses (depending on patient) usually 5-10mg, it is used in the Ortho and Neuro sectors for chronic pain relief eg: nerve pain, limb pain
                      Hope this clears things up.
                      Don't worry, when my surgeon first told me, he was prescribing these for me,
                      I just looked at him and said "but i'm not depressed, its just my leg thats killing me" and this is when i got the full explanation.
                      Vali
                      44 years young! now 45
                      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                      Post -op - 5 degrees
                      T11 - S1 Posterior

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Vali. The reputable Web site I read did not have anything except the depression explanation.

Have a great day!

Karen
                        Karen, 66 years "young"
                        Polio at 6

Comment

Hi Karen,
                          hows that pain of yours coming along. I hope it has settled down.
                          Karen, i just had a thought. Are you still lying down with a pillow under your knees?
                          If you are, try lying down without it and see what happens.
                          Last edited by Vali; 10-21-2009, 07:18 AM. Reason: needed to add
                          Vali
                          44 years young! now 45
                          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                          Post -op - 5 degrees
                          T11 - S1 Posterior

Comment

Hi Vali

My SI pain has settled down somewhat. It hasn't disappeared but seems less acute. Yes, I do sleep with a pillow under my knees. I'll try sleeping without it to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for suggesting this - never would have occurred to me. I'll let you know the results.

Have a great day!

Karen
                            Karen, 66 years "young"
                            Polio at 6

Comment

Working...
                            X