Willow's Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willow's Day 1

Willow got away with a fairly easy ride as far as surgery goes.

T4-L1
    ~5 hours
    cell saver only

She is far more alert and able to do things than her sister. She can wet her own mouth with that stick-sponge thingie, talk on the phone coherently for minutes on end, ask for her mirror to see how straight she is, almost roll herself, etc. I am shocked. The other kid was pretty zonked out the first few days and didn't do any of that stuff.

I ran into the recovery room nurse in the gift shop and mentioned that I thought she was 2 days ahead of where her sister was on the first day. Either this kid is average and the other was behind the curve or the other kid was average and this kid is ahead of the curve, one or the other. She said this kid is ahead of the curve. I asked why and she suggested she reacted better to the drugs. I don't know but I'll take it. Maybe this will mean a shorter hospital stay and a quicker return to school.

The biggest news is they relaxed the no-ice-chips-until-gut-sounds rule since we were here 1.5 years ago which is VERY GOOD! Still, she is supposed to go slowly on those.

She looks pretty even and straight to me. We will have to wait a few days to see what residual angle she has. Our surgeon is a spine artist. It has to be a gift or a talent. It has been one of my greatest fortunes in life to have been referred to him. Maybe others could do just as well but nobody could possibly do better.

Thanks again to the people who "man" this forum providing so much support.

sharon
    Last edited by Pooka1; 10-06-2009, 10:46 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

And just to add... I am so glad I came so far off the ledge this time. That extra worry would have gone completely to waste.

Oh one more thing... I also mentioned to the recovery room nurse that Willow was thoroughly debriefed on what to expect by her sister and that maybe that contributed to her apparent ease with the whole situation, both before and after surgery. The nurse agreed that that may have contributed to her smooth recovery, at least so far.

The human brain and the human mind... beyond fascinating. If I already wasn't entrenched in my field I would go into brain science for sure.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Ahh, good news.

Twin girls are so close. The programming had to have helped considerably........

Being prepared for the unknown is beneficial in all scenarios.

Time to party?

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Too soon to party! The recovery has barely begun.

And by the way, she was debriefed, not programmed. These kids are going to think for themselves if I have to stand on my head to achieve it.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Great news! How exciting for her and relief for you that it's over and she's doing so well so soon. You sound pretty happy too!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            Great news! How exciting for her and relief for you that it's over and she's doing so well so soon. You sound pretty happy too!
            I'm pretty happy. The day of the pre-op was magical if I might use that term. Several circumstances conspired to make it a great day for Willow and me. And I felt like we had some emotional momentum going into today.

I feel like if I had triplets, the next time would be even easier. If I had octuplets, I would barely blink. But you never know.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Great news. Yay! Congratulations! So glad Willow is recovering comfortably. I'm sure she'll continue to do great as she has so much love and support coming at her from you, her sister and everyone here.

Hang in there, get some rest, relax...the worst is over and all is well. Please keep us posted on Willow's progress and I'll keep you all in my prayers.
              ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
              Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
              Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
              Now curve is T38*, L53*
              Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Sharon,

I'm so glad that all went well for Willow. These kids are just amazing how quicky they snap back. Unlike old farts like me.

Tell Willow to keep up the good work.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                  If I had octuplets, I would barely blink. But you never know.

Hmmmm........Octuplets? Interested in enlarging your family? Just kidding!

I'm so happy to hear the surgery is over and recovery is going well. Remember to take care of yourself and don't let Willow push too hard.

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Great news! Best wishes for a continued speedy and uneventful recovery...
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

That's wonderful news, Sharon! You must be very relieved. I couldn't be happier for you and Willow!
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com
                      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Very glad to hear all went so well. Onward and upward! Cheering for you and Willow.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Hi Sharon,

I just had to pop by to congratulate Willow and wish her well I hope she continues to recover incredibly fast. Massive hugs to all of you!

Toni xx

Comment

valleygirl, debbei, Mary Lou, Singer, Maria, Mary Ellen, and Toni,

Thanks for the kind thoughts and well wishes.

She's a bit more uncomfortable today and seems to be running a slight fever. That's close to what happened to her sister. She is definitely stressing over the tilt-table today. That and the changing of the wound dressing on Day 4 tape were among the "WATCH OUT!" items in the debriefing from Savannah.

The two girls are in frequent contact via phone and text messaging. Savannah is on her third course of meds for mycoplasma bronchitis and so will likely not be able to visit Willow in the hospital at all. When I mentioned this situation during the pre-op and that I was trying and failing to keep them apart at home, the surgeon had a visible, visceral even, reaction. He agreed it was extremely important to keep her away from Will.

I think the nurse is right that Willow just handled the meds during the operation better than her sister. Biochem and physiology. She said she was "comfortable" or "very comfortable" three times yesterday. I don't believe Savannah ever said that at any point while she was in the hospital, not even on the last day. They probably just have different pain thresholds. Mary Lou, I don't think it is under Willow's control and that she is pushing herself. Willow came out of the gate in better shape it seems even though they had nearly identical surgeries. This situation really highlights that everyone is different.

And Mary Lou, I am NOT expanding my family! Besides these two girls, I'm raising a horse, 5 guinea pigs, and a husband and am the grandmother to three snakes and a huge bullfrog.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Sharon,

I'm so glad to hear about Willow's successful surgery and her relatively "easy" recovery so far. I'm pretty sure that the fever is normal, at least that's what I was told after my son's surgery when he had one. It should only last for a day or two.

I hope that Savannah feels better soon and that Willow continues to do really, really well. You sure deserve to be able to relax about scoliosis and move on to some more peaceful, less stressful activities. Not that there aren't always things to worry about with kids...

Take care,
                              Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                              Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                              Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
                              X