Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
    I had to post pone it from 30th, to October something. Depending on tickets, I'm looking at the 12th. Will book the flight today after this appointment.
    Just wondering as I know you want to get relief soon
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Ok. Got back from my local surgeon. Said pretty much everything I wanted to hear. I guess he and his partner both talked about my options and came up with a conclusion, which sounds pretty good. He brought up the whole sticking to L3 without extending idea that I was so happy about. He was confident and answered all our questions to detail. Stayed for an hour with us and I really enjoyed today's visit. He said my surgery would most likely be 2 parts. The first surgery would be the removal of the hardware in my back, from the posterior approach. And then he would do an XLIF surgery, from the side to remove the discs from L1-L3. He would stitch me up for a few days, and get some X-Ray's done while laying in bed, relaxed. These X-Ray's will determine how flexible my spine is. So based on this X-Ray and talking with my father and I, in the hospital after the hardware removal, we would discuss my options. If it's flexible, and we can stick to L3, then that will be a done deal.

Regarding the surgery, he said that there are many ways to do bonegraft. The major two are BMT and BMP. I think those two are the most successful. He did discuss a few others, and said instead of doing 1 way, and risking that it might not fuse, he wants to combine all of them to increase the risk of fusion. Then, he wants to remove part of the facet joints so he can add bonegraft there to increase the risk of fusion, instead of leaving them in. Also, in the bone in the rear of the spine, which is called "spinous process", he wants to remove this so it can gain more flexibility, show him the view of the nerves, and use it for bonegrafting. He did discuss about "Allotransplantation" or something like that, but I wasn't too sure about what that was. Basically covered every type of way to fuse my spine, and he wants to do all of them to make sure the spine fuses.

Then, the second surgery will finish in the posterior view, where he would balance out the spine as much as possible, take care of the removal of bone and adding new titanium hardware. Hopefully, it'll stay from T9-L3, and there won't be any extending. Even if sticking to L3 isn't perfect, I'll prefer it over L4. But if it looks the same, which I doubt, then I don't really have a choice. He went over risks of this surgery and what not as well. He said removal is simple and straightforward, and the XLIF isn't difficult.

And what I liked about him, is when my dad asked how long, he said I don't care about time, it's however long it takes to make his back perfect. I showed him bending X-Ray's before and after surgery and the CT scan again to give him a little more understanding of my spine, so he is more confident about surgery.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say. While reviewing my X-Ray's with his partner, he showed me that when bending forward, my lower disc, either L2-L3 or L3-L4, was converging, unlike the other discs that were straight. So he said, what that means is there is movement in that disc, which implies that the bottom right L3 screw is loose. So that most likely is part of my pain. He said to fix this, he will use a screw that is thicker, so make sure it's a solid fit. He will also do this with the other holes that have already been drilled, if he were to use them, but since this is lose, he would use a screw that is 2-3 sizes up in diameter, while the other screws would be 1-2 sizes up. I think I'm leaning towards this, and the fact he's up near me makes the recovery much easier, and having the support of my family and friends would help, versus being alone in SoCal with my mom or dad.

I think I'm going to go to Bederman just for confirmation and to see what he has to say. He has to be one of the nicest surgeons I met, and I know Melissa swears by him lol.
      Last edited by JDM555; 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• so it is possible to do minimally invasive...isnt that what XLIF is...?

great news that you have decided on a plan of action...one that is subject to
        change if need be!

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
          so it is possible to do minimally invasive...isnt that what XLIF is...?

great news that you have decided on a plan of action...one that is subject to
          change if need be!

jess

XLIF is minimally invasive, but that isn't the whole surgery. Just fusing my levels isn't my goal here, it's fusing it, fixing the loose screw, and unbalanced spine. I'll have a regular open back posterior surgery to replace hardware and what not, and do an XLIF to get to the front of the discs, to increase mobility. It's both surgeries combined, but without extending, and without having the risk of just XLIF. It's like looking at it as a posterior/anterior type of surgery, but instead of having front scar or whatever, I'm going in through the side. I'll get a 2-3" scar, and the same scar in the back.

Comment

Ok. Got back from my local surgeon. Said pretty much everything I wanted to hear. I guess he and his partner both talked about my options and came up with a conclusion, which sounds pretty good. He brought up the whole sticking to L3 without extending idea that I was so happy about. He was confident and answered all our questions to detail. Stayed for an hour with us and I really enjoyed today's visit. He said my surgery would most likely be 2 parts. The first surgery would be the removal of the hardware in my back, from the posterior approach. And then he would do an XLIF surgery, from the side to remove the discs from L1-L3. He would stitch me up for a few days, and get some X-Ray's done while laying in bed, relaxed. These X-Ray's will determine how flexible my spine is. So based on this X-Ray and talking with my father and I, in the hospital after the hardware removal, we would discuss my options. If it's flexible, and we can stick to L3, then that will be a done deal.

Regarding the surgery, he said that there are many ways to do bonegraft. The major two are BMT and BMP. I think those two are the most successful. He did discuss a few others, and said instead of doing 1 way, and risking that it might not fuse, he wants to combine all of them to increase the risk of fusion. Then, he wants to remove part of the facet joints so he can add bonegraft there to increase the risk of fusion, instead of leaving them in. Also, in the bone in the rear of the spine, which is called "spinous process", he wants to remove this so it can gain more flexibility, show him the view of the nerves, and use it for bonegrafting. He did discuss about "Allotransplantation" or something like that, but I wasn't too sure about what that was. Basically covered every type of way to fuse my spine, and he wants to do all of them to make sure the spine fuses.

Then, the second surgery will finish in the posterior view, where he would balance out the spine as much as possible, take care of the removal of bone and adding new titanium hardware. Hopefully, it'll stay from T9-L3, and there won't be any extending. Even if sticking to L3 isn't perfect, I'll prefer it over L4. But if it looks the same, which I doubt, then I don't really have a choice. He went over risks of this surgery and what not as well. He said removal is simple and straightforward, and the XLIF isn't difficult.

And what I liked about him, is when my dad asked how long, he said I don't care about time, it's however long it takes to make his back perfect. I showed him bending X-Ray's before and after surgery and the CT scan again to give him a little more understanding of my spine, so he is more confident about surgery.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say. While reviewing my X-Ray's with his partner, he showed me that when bending forward, my lower disc, either L2-L3 or L3-L4, was converging, unlike the other discs that were straight. So he said, what that means is there is movement in that disc, which implies that the bottom right L3 screw is loose. So that most likely is part of my pain. He said to fix this, he will use a screw that is thicker, so make sure it's a solid fit. He will also do this with the other holes that have already been drilled, if he were to use them, but since this is lose, he would use a screw that is 2-3 sizes up in diameter, while the other screws would be 1-2 sizes up. I think I'm leaning towards this, and the fact he's up near me makes the recovery much easier, and having the support of my family and friends would help, versus being alone in SoCal with my mom or dad.

I think I'm going to go to Bederman just for confirmation and to see what he has to say. He has to be one of the nicest surgeons I met, and I know Melissa swears by him lol.
            John,
            Please do not feel that you have to go see Dr Bederman if you are happy with the surgeon that you have found. I only suggested him because you were looking for a surgeon. Please do not spend extra money if you are happy

Melissa
            Melissa

Comment

• John,

I tried PMing you but your mailbox is full. Please empty some of your messages so I can reply to your latest one
              Melissa

Comment

• Well. Need bending X-Rays on Monday. Hopefully after getting these I can schedule surgery. Talked to some other doctors and they said it sounds like a great plan to do the back-side-back approach. And I feel very confident with this surgeon, and he's doing exactly everything I want from surgery, so it's a win win. Will keep you guys updated on what date the surgery will be on. Most likely early Nov.

Comment

Well. Need bending X-Rays on Monday. Hopefully after getting these I can schedule surgery. Talked to some other doctors and they said it sounds like a great plan to do the back-side-back approach. And I feel very confident with this surgeon, and he's doing exactly everything I want from surgery, so it's a win win. Will keep you guys updated on what date the surgery will be on. Most likely early Nov.

Glad that everything seems to be going great in a forward motion.

Melissa
                  Melissa

Comment

• John

Here is a little story with some pics to try to take your mind off things for a little while.

I looped through Oregon, met Susan and Jenee then went down to the Redwoods. In the Rockefeller grove, I camped at a place that had Apple trees planted in the 1890’s. While I was there, the bears were in full force, eating apples. I watched these adult bears eat 100 plus apples while climbing these trees. I stood about 75 feet away and watched for 3 days. They say that we are not supposed to run with full fusions. I have to admit, it did cross my mind a few times. He he

The Redwoods are a very special place. I did many walks there in my recovery years ago on the soft needles.....it’s like hiking on soft carpet. I will always go back there from time to time.....

Ed
                    Attached Files
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      John

Here is a little story with some pics to try to take your mind off things for a little while.

I looped through Oregon, met Susan and Jenee then went down to the Redwoods. In the Rockefeller grove, I camped at a place that had Apple trees planted in the 1890’s. While I was there, the bears were in full force, eating apples. I watched these adult bears eat 100 plus apples while climbing these trees. I stood about 75 feet away and watched for 3 days. They say that we are not supposed to run with full fusions. I have to admit, it did cross my mind a few times. He he

The Redwoods are a very special place. I did many walks there in my recovery years ago on the soft needles.....it’s like hiking on soft carpet. I will always go back there from time to time.....

Ed
                      Have always wanted to see the Redwoods and now that I am living in Ca I will have my chance

Melissa
                      Melissa

Comment

• Beautiful photos and a great experience, Ed! Such magnificent trees.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• OMG Ed, the bears!! You are a brave one. I would be headed for the hills.....

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• me, too...i would head for the hills and not look back!
                            i am an animal lover...but i know my limit...
                            i used to help feed a beautiful tiger in CA (named Raja), but he was behind
                            a fenced enclosure!

John, it sounds like you will finally get the procedures that you want and that are
                            appropriate to what is causing the pain and the lack of fusion...
                            you are to be congratulated for never giving up, for being patient enough to find
                            the right surgeons to consult with, and the right surgeon to do the operation...
                            it really does finally sound like things will go right this time!
                            i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, as i am sure many others will,
                            until you are up, around, back at school and back at your much loved gym
                            work outs....free of pain and getting on with your life!

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                              John

Ed
                              Love the pics Ed! You're so lucky to be able to travel around in your RV and explore all kinds of places. I am so jealous.
                              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• Great News!

Finally, for the first time in my life, I hear good news and just have to share it with everyone. I went to get bending X-Rays today, and the doctor was surprised. With my current hardware, it shows my spine is flexible enough to make L4 pretty much horizontal 100% without having to extend the hardware. That is without removing the hardware and discs to make it even more flexible. So, he predicts pretty much, 100% straight spine after surgery. Instead of the 30* I have currently. He will use BMP and stem cell approach for bonegraft, he said both alone are very successful, but for my case, he'll use both just to make sure I'll get fused. He also said all we agreed on, and we set a date!

November 11th for the first surgery, and November 15th for the second. Right after a friends wedding on the 5th, so I'm happy. I hope everything continues to go smoothly and in no time, I'll be on my road to recovery, with a new spine.

Comment

Working...
                                X