Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully you will get some relief soon

Melissa

Comment

• John

I had several opportunities to do shots, but never did. The decisions I made were only after I temporarily cured my sciatica in 2002, by swimming in the ocean in Hawaii. The last ditch effort was right before my surgeries, which after all the pain I was in, really didn’t make much sense with 4 lumbar herniations in a 70 degree curve. There was no doubt that I had to be fused to my sacrum. Have you tried swimming? It helps.

Jess here seems to be the “shot” queen and has the most experience, but I did learn something at UCSF at the last scoli conference. Shot location has to be within a half of a millimeter, or .020 to be effective. Sometimes, there are no positive results, so if this happens, you know what is going on....its like real estate, location, location, location.

Hang in there, it does get better.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• i was so hoping that your shot results would last longer than mine ever have! i was so hoping that i wouldn't see a post from you talking about how the relief is diminishing....but am sorry to say i am not surprised...

still give it time...and a second round of shots would be worth a try!
        i still haven't given up...and i've been trying all kinds of shots for some time...

hope you feel better soon, John...

jess

Comment

• Yeh...I don't know. I was hoping for more relief too. It's been feeling tight and stiff lately. The weather has been freezing, so that doesn't help.

Been having a hard time trying to reach the doctor the past few days, so I'm not sure what's next. I was late to class yesterday and we had a midterm, so I was stupid and decided to lightly jog to class. Saved about a minute or two, and was in pain for the rest of the day...awesome. I'm still surprised I can't run, or actually jog, being over 1 year post op.

No gym, no running, etc. I don't know, that with my school load is really affecting me. I'm really tired of being in pain.

Comment

• hey John
            that is the demoralizing aspect of pain..the psychological effect...it can just wear you down, cause frustration, depression, etc.....any who deal with chronic pain know this to be true!

i do remember asking you if you would request any accommodations under the disability act...it would, at the very least, allow you to get out of class earlier or get to class later without penalty...all you would need would be a medical letter...
            also...have you considered handicapped parking at school...if there is any handicapped spots left...? i know you said you wanted to kind of force yourself to walk, but on some days...safe rather than sorry just works better!...

you have all my sympathy dealing with this post surgery!
            i am so sorry the relief didn't last from the injection!
            have you discussed what to try next with the doctor?

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
              Yeh...I don't know. I was hoping for more relief too. It's been feeling tight and stiff lately. The weather has been freezing, so that doesn't help.

Been having a hard time trying to reach the doctor the past few days, so I'm not sure what's next. I was late to class yesterday and we had a midterm, so I was stupid and decided to lightly jog to class. Saved about a minute or two, and was in pain for the rest of the day...awesome. I'm still surprised I can't run, or actually jog, being over 1 year post op.

No gym, no running, etc. I don't know, that with my school load is really affecting me. I'm really tired of being in pain.
              John,

that must be really rough. During my recovery, all I had to do was get better, and here you are taking a full load at school. I agree with Jess, maybe it would be a good thing to go for the accomodations and handicapped parking pass? I know in my state, it's possible to get a 6-month handicapped parking pass (that's what I did.) If you explained to your surgeon, I bet he'd sign the forms for you.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                hey John
                that is the demoralizing aspect of pain..the psychological effect...it can just wear you down, cause frustration, depression, etc.....any who deal with chronic pain know this to be true!

i do remember asking you if you would request any accommodations under the disability act...it would, at the very least, allow you to get out of class earlier or get to class later without penalty...all you would need would be a medical letter...
                also...have you considered handicapped parking at school...if there is any handicapped spots left...? i know you said you wanted to kind of force yourself to walk, but on some days...safe rather than sorry just works better!...

you have all my sympathy dealing with this post surgery!
                i am so sorry the relief didn't last from the injection!
                have you discussed what to try next with the doctor?

jess
                Yes. I really want to ask about the disability thing at my school. Walking from the lightrail to the campus is tedious, it's a good 10-15 minute walk with a backpack straining my back. And sitting in some crappy chairs made for someone 8" shorter than for up to 3.5 hours is brutal.

I will ask my doctor about handicap and about how my back hurts and causes me to walk slower so I don't hurt myself and if I can get a handicap parking permit.

About the next option, my father and I have been trying to reach him but are having a hard time. He is always busy, or not in, or he calls my father and he misses his call, etc. So hopefully we get a hold of him soon to see my next option.
                John

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                John,

that must be really rough. During my recovery, all I had to do was get better, and here you are taking a full load at school. I agree with Jess, maybe it would be a good thing to go for the accomodations and handicapped parking pass? I know in my state, it's possible to get a 6-month handicapped parking pass (that's what I did.) If you explained to your surgeon, I bet he'd sign the forms for you.
                Yes. The thing is, it's not just a full load with a simple major, it's Engineering. A very, very demanding major. I have M-F classes Morning to Night. Taking 4 hard classes, 2 Labs, Workshops, etc. Just keeping up with the classes and studying is a nightmare, but worrying about my sleeping arrangement, not getting a good rest, being always exhausted and worn out, having non-stop back pain, etc. really brings me down.

I will try to ask about Handicap parking, thing is, for my university college, I take the lightrail, and there is a 10-15 minute walk to campus, so even with Handicap, I still have to walk that distance since I don't drive to school. I hope it all gets better soon.
                John
                Last edited by JDM555; 03-06-2011, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• John,

I cannot even begin to imagine getting through engineering classes, lugging your books, and the walk with your condition. I was very fortunate that I didn't have work to go back to...just a 1 year old to take care of and my two older boys. I had fulltime help until 6 months post-op. My husband is in the Coast Guard but was finishing up his college degree at the time of my surgery. He graduated two months after my surgery. The CG paid for him to go fulltime but he had 2 months of taking care of me and fulltime classes for electrical engineering. How he did it so successfully I'll never know. I admire your dedication and hard work. You are proof that we still have young people with a strong work ethic! I can't imagine that your doc would fight you on a handicap placard. While walking of course is good, doing it with a loaded back pack is not. Good luck with getting better and good luck with school!!
                  Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                  50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                  Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                  X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                  Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                  Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                  Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

• hey John
                    well, if you don't drive there, then that is a whole new problem!!

am wondering what the office in your college (that helps handicapped kids of any variety) has to offer...
                    is there any way you could hook up with a ride? have you posted on the bulletin boards around campus...? i mean, carrying books and walking, etc etc...that is just too much when one is in pain!! would it be worth it to pay someone's gas if they picked you up at home and dropped you off by your building where your first class is...? with the price of gas now, maybe another college student would be tempted by such an offer...?

there is "access a ride" that offers rides on a subscription basis to handicapped people with ANY kind of handicap...but i don't know if trying that would upset you or embarrass you...
                    me personally...when i go into Manhattan, i take cabs everywhere...i did when i lived there and was still working...i just couldn't stand and wait for a bus or subway anymore...too much pain! it WASN"T that i had money...i swear i worked my 2nd job to pay for all the cabs i needed to take to get around!

good luck...

jess

Comment

• I have no other ideas to offer. I'm just always amazed by Jess--the problem solver. We are so lucky to have her here! Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Thanks everyone. No Jess, I do drive. It's just I choose to take the lightrail to my University college. That means I drive to a train station, and walk to the train and then the train drops me off in Downtown and I walk from the station to campus.

My community college where I take night and Friday class, I drive to since it is close to me. So not as much walking, but a handicap placard will help here as well. It's a nice 5-10 minute walk usually in the cold.

I was in the backyard helping my mom with something, and I heard/felt a very loud pop/snap in my back. Definitely wasn't a good feeling and I had to sit down for a bit. I can still feel it while walking. So, I need to do a check up real soon.

I am leaning towards taking a break after this semester from school. I don't know if I should get a job for the time being, focus on getting back into shape, resting, etc. I just know I need a break from school and this back pain cause I can't go on with both of them weighing me down like this.

Comment

• John

I can understand your load! It would probably be a good idea to take a break for now, you can always study later.

It sure seems like you have something wrong and its been a few months since you re-addressed these issues with your surgeon. They usually like to run through the course, shots, pt etc and if this doesn’t work, another surgery might be in the cards. I’m sure you have thought about this.

Since you are 14 months post, and should be healed, it doesn’t seem like it would be any problem getting that placard. I wish I had one!

I have known tall people who have had back problems and I totally understand what you mean about the substandard seating dilemma. We can put things on Mars, but this seating ergonomics problem does make you mad sometimes. You can blame the procurement person who bought the chairs.

Hang in there.
                          Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• I hear you John,

I started working out about a month ago, but it hurt to much so I had to stop. I finally went back this week. I do about 50 minutes of elliptical, but no weights. It is difficult, because I used to lift 7 days a week for about two hours a day. I am in real pain about an hour after my elliptical workout and have to take a pain pill. I gained about twenty pounds since my surgery, so I am hoping that dropping the weight will help my pain and make me feel better. I hope the pain finally stops after my workout. I wear a soft brace while at the gym, to give me some support. I did try to run for about ten yards and it didn't feel right. I was supposed to have my fusion down to pelvis, but convinced my surgeon to stop at L5. My surgeon, said that my disc between S1 and L5 was deteriorating. I hope I didn't make a mistake, by not fusing to S1.

rich

Comment

• hey John
                              sorry.... i misunderstood you...

well, i'd go for the handicapped parking thing...if you can't see your doc right away for it, suggest you call the office staff to get it...it just takes a signature from doc...form is from DMV, as you know...small town DMV's can process the things really fast...

i agree with Ed...take a little time off...personally, my opinion would be to take the time and not try to work! it sounds as if you are overwhelmed...and studying and commuting to school while in pain is too much of a burden for someone who recently had major surgery....perhaps you didn't give yourself enough time before you went back to college...just my opinion from what you've written over the past year...
                              i believe colleges all grant medical leaves for students...it would probably be the easiest reason to give them...and true!

maybe, even for now, it would be better to choose to drive to school, not take the train...because driving could offer you less pain...less painful walking and closer arrival to your first class...?? if you could get the handicapped placard fast enough, you could try it this semester..if the college has any parking spots left...

i hope you can, as Ed said, get in to see your surgeon...just to see what is going on...
                              and i hope you feel better soon!

Janet, thanks for the kind words...

jess
                              Last edited by jrnyc; 03-07-2011, 03:33 AM.

Comment

• Well, my back started to hurt more and more. Now the lower left side hurts as well. Most likely from my posture or walking? I had a lidocaine shot. The doctor said he wants to continue it for 4-5 times every 2 weeks and see if it helps. If it doesn't help, then he will try Botox. And if that doesn't work, then last resort is another surgery to remove the bolt that is causing the muscle over it to be inflamed.

I'm having a few rough weeks, school is a nightmare and I'm in over my head. I'm not doing that good in classes and I don't need additional stress. The new back pain isn't helping either. Keep losing weight and want to really start going to the gym again.

I might do very light cardio or walk around daily to help. The shot today hurts, it's swollen and caused me to be in pain whenever I sat in a chair cause I was putting pressure on the swollen spot. Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow, it will be better. Will keep you guys updated. Thanks for everything.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X