Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At 9.5 months post up now. Unfortunately, I'm not in the best shape. My back still hurts and feels stiff/sore and I haven't gone to the gym in 2 weeks. I get a very big "crack" when I get up out of bed each morning. I'm worried, I'm in pain in my lower right back when I stand or move certain ways. I'm worried I won't ever be able to return to the gym no matter how many years I recover and continue what I was doing before surgery. I'm staying away from any pain meds but I guess I'll just sit tight for the next 2.5 months till I get my year check up. I don't know what to do. Are there any back stretches/exercises I can do to strengthen up my lower back? I just want this pain to go away. If I sit too long or stand I also get the old lower back pain, but not as bad. Also sitting in the classes hard chairs is hard because I notice a little bit of a rib hump still there.
    Last edited by JDM555; 10-16-2010, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Hey man.

Im 19 as well and I just joined the community here as well. I just read your post. Honestly, it stinks to see what you what you have to go through. I have a curve of around 40 to 50 degrees; im not sure as I havent had an xray done recently.

I was scared to when I first heard that I have scoliosis, but my family and I decided not to go for surgery. We tried bracing and acupuncture instead, and I think it works. Again, Im not sure as I havent had xrays taken recently.

I can relate to you want to get out there and work out. But with that type of pain, especially the "crack" you hear your back make when you come out of bed, I dont think that would be the best idea to try out now. I really reccomend you see your surgeon who performed the surgery and see what's the problem.

Is there anyway you can try to stretch your back for a little bit without doing damage? That may help with the pain.

You can also check out this website I found. Besides talking about what scoliosis is and other basic background info, it gives some exercises that you can do.

iScoliosis.com

Hope this helps out.

Comment

• Oh I also forgot to mention what I do to handle pain. Within the brace I wear, I usually wear athletic wraps around my lower waist. For me at least, it seems to take some of the pain away when I have to walk around for awhile, and definitely when I sit down in uncomfortable chairs.

Be forwarned though: It may get a little smelly...

Again, I hope this helps.

Comment

• hi John
          i am so sorry to hear that you're in pain again...i read your previous post and you said you were feeling better after slipping on stairs...

do you think you did something in the gym...? lifted too much maybe....not saying you did, just wondering.....?

i really hope this is a temporary thing and it resolves itself before you get to the surgeon for your one year check up...if it gets any worse, do you think you should call to go in sooner...?

hope you feel better soon!
          jess

Comment

• Originally posted by cokafor View Post
            Hey man.

Im 19 as well and I just joined the community here as well. I just read your post. Honestly, it stinks to see what you what you have to go through. I have a curve of around 40 to 50 degrees; im not sure as I havent had an xray done recently.

I was scared to when I first heard that I have scoliosis, but my family and I decided not to go for surgery. We tried bracing and acupuncture instead, and I think it works. Again, Im not sure as I havent had xrays taken recently.

I can relate to you want to get out there and work out. But with that type of pain, especially the "crack" you hear your back make when you come out of bed, I dont think that would be the best idea to try out now. I really reccomend you see your surgeon who performed the surgery and see what's the problem.

Is there anyway you can try to stretch your back for a little bit without doing damage? That may help with the pain.

You can also check out this website I found. Besides talking about what scoliosis is and other basic background info, it gives some exercises that you can do.

iScoliosis.com

Hope this helps out.
            Hey, thanks for the link. When I went at 6 months, he said everything was good. I went to him at 7-7.5 month mark when the pain/crack started coming from working out. He said it was normal and everything looked great. The crack is getting worse though. The pain was going away, but now I don't think I can gym. I haven't gone in 2 weeks, and I still don't plan to go to not push it. I just hope at 1 year mark I can finally return without too much pain.
            John

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
            hi John
            i am so sorry to hear that you're in pain again...i read your previous post and you said you were feeling better after slipping on stairs...

do you think you did something in the gym...? lifted too much maybe....not saying you did, just wondering.....?

i really hope this is a temporary thing and it resolves itself before you get to the surgeon for your one year check up...if it gets any worse, do you think you should call to go in sooner...?

hope you feel better soon!
            jess
            Yes, it does suck. I think going to the gym might have something to do with it, but like I said, I haven't gone in 2 weeks and I still feel stiff and a weird pain I can't really describe. Just a sore/stiff feeling in my lower back. I hope it goes away within the next few days/weeks/even months. I just hope to return to the gym in January. I'm losing all my weight and I hate this.
            John

And I already called in to go between my 6month and 1 year check up and he said everything is great. I'm not in so much pain to the point where I have to call to go in again. Guess I'll just wait till the 1 year mark.
            John

Comment

• Hi, Im 19 and i have a 48* curve. I know exactly how you feel about the pain. For me its really anoying. Im not as fit as i used to be. I cant walk/ stand/ sit for long. Hurts really bad.

And 3 years back, the doctor told me i had a 30* curve so he said i dont need surgery and all. Just recently i saw another doctor, and he told me that the earlier x-rays showed i had a 40* curve and i was shocked and it had progressed to 48/49 degress. And its my choice now to decide whther i want to have the surgery. I have two curves T48 and L20..

Comment

• I don't think people are reading the whole thread. Just read the first post about how I'm 19 and had scoliosis, but in the other 33 pages, I ended up having surgeries. 1 on Dec. 28, and 1 on Dec. 31, 2009. I'm slowly recovering from surgery. I ended up going to the gym at 3 months and kept going till 6-7 months, then kind of gave up because it's not worth it if I can't do 110% in the gym, it's all the way or nothing.

I understand I have to sit patiently and wait for my back to get better, but I want to know, are there any specific lower back exercises that might strengthen my muscles and help me out pain wise? I also found an old soft brace laying around before surgery, that gives me some support. Is that fine to wear?
                John
                Last edited by JDM555; 10-17-2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
                  I ended up going to the gym at 3 months and kept going till 6-7 months, then kind of gave up because it's not worth it if I can't do 110% in the gym, it's all the way or nothing.
                  John
                  I disagree. This is where we post-ops have to learn to be patient and adjust. We can't do all the things like we used to immediately. Some things come slowly with time. Exercising in a safe way for your spine will help it improve.

Have you had any physical therapy where a therapist shows you the right kind of exercises that you could be doing to help you improve? Jumping in whole hog at 3 months seems a little extreme to me, without knowing what your proper limitations are.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by debbei View Post
                    I disagree. This is where we post-ops have to learn to be patient and adjust. We can't do all the things like we used to immediately. Some things come slowly with time. Exercising in a safe way for your spine will help it improve.

Have you had any physical therapy where a therapist shows you the right kind of exercises that you could be doing to help you improve? Jumping in whole hog at 3 months seems a little extreme to me, without knowing what your proper limitations are.
                    I never jumped in at 110% at 3 months. Trust me, I know better than that. Till the 7-8 month mark, I was still lifting less than half of what I usually lifted. And I still had pain and wasn't seeing any results. I couldn't gain any weight and just stopped gaining after 175. I need to actually lift to gain muscle, I don't just go and do some cardio and light weights. I am actually serious about bodybuilding. And it sucks because I can't do much about it in my current shape. I have not had PT, my surgeon said I don't need it and that I will recover just fine without it. So, I guess I can try walking a bit at night for some sort of exercise. I don't feel good when I gym, so I stopped that for a while.

Comment

• Do you walk John? You can get quite fit by walking at a good pace every day. Nearly all surgeons advise walking daily in that first year. It really helps with healing and makes you feel good. Get outside to walk, it lifts your spirits.
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                        Do you walk John? You can get quite fit by walking at a good pace every day. Nearly all surgeons advise walking daily in that first year. It really helps with healing and makes you feel good. Get outside to walk, it lifts your spirits.
                        I walk on my college campus a bit. M/W I walk more. But throughout the weekend and T/Th, I don't really walk much. Maybe that has to do with my back feeling stiff? I will start walking a mile or so daily at night. And yes, fresh air and a little walk should help lift my spirits haha.

Comment

• hey John
                          i remember many of your posts...both pre and post surgery....please excuse me, because i really don't know you very well...but sometimes...just sometimes...it has sounded as if you know you should be patient, but your heart, or your gut, have a hard time buying it...?

also, i don't know if you have a perfectionist streak, but would you consider going to the gym and using a treadmill with an incline to make it a little bit tougher...or an elliptical machine, just to make sure you do get the walking in ...and maybe lifting weight but deciding ahead of time to lift 20 pounds less than you'd like, or 30 less, etc...? i know you said you have not been lifting what you'd like to, or hoped to, but if you look at it differently...as if the surgeon told you no gym for a year, so anything you do in the gym is better than doing nothing...?

i guess what i am trying to say is, maybe don't give up, just cut back on your expectations and activities for now (i know you already did, but maybe view it differently)...or at least 'til you see the surgeon again....? and rather than be so disappointed in what you cant lift, be aware that you are just building to a more difficult level...slowly....
                          or is it all gym or no gym??

i am NOT criticizing...just trying to figure out a mid point that might keep you more fit but less stressed....? you sound so discouraged....& i feel badly that you seem down about it...
                          besides, you know if you injure your back badly...well, you know...

if i am totally off base, i apologize...

best of luck...
                          jess

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                            hey John
                            i remember many of your posts...both pre and post surgery....please excuse me, because i really don't know you very well...but sometimes...just sometimes...it has sounded as if you know you should be patient, but your heart, or your gut, have a hard time buying it...?

also, i don't know if you have a perfectionist streak, but would you consider going to the gym and using a treadmill with an incline to make it a little bit tougher...or an elliptical machine, just to make sure you do get the walking in ...and maybe lifting weight but deciding ahead of time to lift 20 pounds less than you'd like, or 30 less, etc...? i know you said you have not been lifting what you'd like to, or hoped to, but if you look at it differently...as if the surgeon told you no gym for a year, so anything you do in the gym is better than doing nothing...?

i guess what i am trying to say is, maybe don't give up, just cut back on your expectations and activities for now (i know you already did, but maybe view it differently)...or at least 'til you see the surgeon again....? and rather than be so disappointed in what you cant lift, be aware that you are just building to a more difficult level...slowly....
                            or is it all gym or no gym??

i am NOT criticizing...just trying to figure out a mid point that might keep you more fit but less stressed....? you sound so discouraged....& i feel badly that you seem down about it...
                            besides, you know if you injure your back badly...well, you know...

if i am totally off base, i apologize...

best of luck...
                            jess
                            I understand what you mean. I have tried what you've said, I did cardio and walked on treadmill and did less weight than I hoped, just to get in shape, and it worked from 3-6 months. But the thing is, I can't get in better shape or gain muscle with that routine. My body needs more. I understand it might help out my back pain, but I don't want to run the risk of lifting anything and hurting my back even more. I have tried for the past month to lift weights and I haven't changed a bit, the only thing is my back felt tighter and more sore. I need to start pushing up the weights, and I can't do that. So I have to let my back heal you know? I might return in a few weeks if my back feels better, but like I said, I haven't been in 2 weeks and my back is aching. I'm not sure why. Might be from sitting in a chair for too long and not enough walking. I will start walking daily.

Comment

• well, i hope you feel better...you have been through enough...
                              i don't know if there is anything that relaxes the tightness...moist heat, maybe...? sometimes it helps muscles...
                              it would be great if you could ask your questions of the surgeon, & not have to wait months til your appointment.....
                              i hope he appreciates the shape you were in before....and lets you know what you can do to regain your strength and build your weight up....

best of luck...
                              jess

Comment

• John - I've followed your posts from the begining last year -

I agree with the others that said PT helps. My DD had surgery in Feb'10 - was told no BLT for 6 mos. At her 4 month follow up I thought the restrictions would be lifted because she felt so good and was moving around so well - but no - he said see you at 6 months and we'll see. He did lift restrictions then, but sent her to PT to build her core muscles to support her spine better.

She was evaluated at PT and it showed just what 6 months of restrictions did to her strength. She is now about 6 weeks into twice a week PT and doing things I shutter at, but wow has she regained strength. She also appears to have lost the slight dip in her side and slight tilt her muscles were used too. She stands straighter and almost appears a bit taller to me.

I'm sure your fine and your next Dr visit will give you piece of mind that all is OK. Please don't be hard on yourself and push too hard - your body had been through a big adjustment and just takes time to get back to where you were before. It will happen - I've seen so many type on the board there success through this process. Some took longer then other - healing takes time.

Best to you
                                Dee
                                Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                                Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                                Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Working...
                                X