Surgery in just over 24 hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jules--

Wonderful news! I have been thinking of you and Khya, so I am so glad to hear all went well. Remember to take care of yourself, too! You'll see her gain every day.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Ah Jules, I can feel your relief and joy all the way to Australia.

Take care of yourself now, and let us know about Khya's progress.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yay, Jules...it's over! What a relief for you, I'm sure.
        So glad to hear it all went so well. Now comes the hard work, which I'm sure both you and your daughter will come through with flying colors too! Keep up the good work, stay strong and take good care of both of you!

Gentle hugs,
        ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
        Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
        Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
        Now curve is T38*, L53*
        Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

My questions...

So, on day two finally. Was a long night because her IV machine kept setting off an alarm every couple minutes. Seems to be fixed now so hoping tonight means sleep for all!

She surprised everyone by not only sitting and standing, but also walking today. Was wonderful to see. And she was so happy to lose the catheter and use a real bathroom!

My questions now are is the uncontrollable itching normal? They say it is from the drugs and keep giving her Benadryl but it doesn't seem to help her. Thinking something different to try? Have been putting lotion on but it doesn't seem to help either.

Her other issue is that while yesterday eating jello, drinking juice, and having salad was fine - today if she eats anything it makes her feel incredibly sick. She is going crazy as she is starving. The nurse for day doesn't seem to care or be worried but Khya is. Any suggestions to help her be able to eat or deal with her stomach would be great

If she continues to improve we can go home Monday possibly, but I am worried that her not being able to eat could be an issue. Also worried about her transition from PCA Morphine to pills. Currently gets Vicodin by mouth and then the PCA. When she goes off PCA do they give her Morphine by mouth or just the Vicodin. Very hard seeing her hurt. Though am impressed at how well she has done and how quickly.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. Hope everyone is doing well.

Jules

Mother of Khya, diagnosed 2 weeks ago with a thoracic curve of 61*. Hoping to have surgery this Sept at Emanuel Children's Hospital.

Comment

Jules,

Sounds like Khya is doing great. I'm a little over 2 weeks post-op and it sounds like some of the things/fears you are feeling are what I went through.

I had the itching too - on my tummy, on my legs, on my back..everywhere. The benadryl helped me a lot. I only got it maybe once or twice a day, but I was told I could have it every 4 or 6 hours (can't remember exactly). I'm still using it now, it but only at night. The itching isn't as bad as it was except on my back all around the incision. So I also put some body cream that they gave me in hospital on my back (not on the incision, but around it) and it too helps the itching a lot. The body cream seemed to help more than the lotion.

As for the morphine, when I left the hospital after 5 days, I definitely still needed it. I got a prescription for pills and that with a prescription of hydrocodone works wonders. I'm still taking them both. No problems at all.

I hope this helps you or at least alleviates your worries. I'm sure with your help, the doctors and nurses will find the right things to help Khya stay comfortable.

Khya is doing amazingly well and I'm sure she will continue to progress.

Best wishes to you both for continued progress, comfort, success and healing!

Hugs,
            ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
            Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
            Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
            Now curve is T38*, L53*
            Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Did they say which drugs are causing the itching? I know some antibiotics cause me to itch, then my skin looks sunburned and peels off. Hopefully they can eliminate the drug responsible and change to another type if necessary.

The food problem may also be drug caused. Hopefully once on oral painkillers, this may ease. Every day is different at this stage, so don't give up on going home Monday, because she maybe a different girl entirely by then!

Most of these problems are short lived and then forgotten. Apart from these annoyances, she sounds like she's going fantastically well. Congratulations to you both!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Jules
                congratulations on khya doing so well!

i used to get extremely nauseous from ANY form of morphine...& some pain meds made me itch...not vicodin, but percocet (sp?) used to make me itch like crazy..i just wonder if any of the pain meds are to blame...i know everyone is different..i have a friend who cant take vicodin....

best of luck with all of her recovery...
                jess

Comment

Jules,

I am now 4 weeks post op. I was very nauseas day one through three. And then they took me off the liquid diet and put me on solids and that was worse b/c the food was so bad! I ended up requesting the broth from the liquid choice! But I also ate what ever tasted good...one day my husband brought me a Mcdonald's cheeseburger and a vanilla shake...I only ate half, but it tasted good! I also ate a lot of yogurt (and still do). My husband even brought some in to the hospital and they stored it for me in the fridge. This can help if you're taking antibiodics.
                  My appetite even now is marginal (and I LOVE to eat!). I tend to feel hungry, but it only takes about five bites to make me feel full. I dropped 15 pounds and I'm just making sure I don't drop any more. I eat small meals about 5 or 6 times a day. I think it's because of the pain and the pain meds!

Interesting...my IV kept sounding off as well...totally annoying!

Good luck...she sounds like she is doing great!
                  Kathy, 43
                  Diagnosed as a teen
                  Boston brace 2 years
                  63 degree lumbar curve
                  Surgery August 26, 2009
                  Anterior approach fused T12-L4
                  now 28 degrees

Comment

Working...
                  X