Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when one parent isn't involved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens when one parent isn't involved?

I just thought I would share this. I read a blog called Rolling Around In My Head, which is a blog of a guy who is disabled and he goes around the world and speaks about disabilities. I would encourage you guys to go read his blog, he has some amazing posts. In one he talked about a home care worker that didn't see the man behind the disability, he said, "How do people who don't value the person behind a disability, a disease, an ailment, get into healthcare?".

So I asked him this question, "What do you tell one parent how to deal with the other parent who just refuses to accept the disabled child? What advice would you have given my mother to help deal with my father?". This is what we had to deal with as my father just was never around, and never accepted my disability. I asked my mother the same question and I thought I would post her response here too.

My Dearest Son,

How good it was to talk to you today about family and your disability. Thank you for your questions and insight.

First let me try to explain what it is like for parents to discover their child has a disability. I read a story once that seemed to open up an understanding for me. I do not remember the name of the story or the author, so this is my version.

There were a number of young couples that together were getting ready for a big event. They were all heading for Spain. They studied together, saved money for the trip, learned the language, studied the culture, what to do and not do, and one by one each couple went off and arrived in Spain. There was much rejoicing as each couple shared their experiences with the other couples.

However one couple boarded the plane and instead of landing in Spain, they landed in Holland. Here nothing was expected, or prepared for. It was all so strange. It was a deep shock. Then they found Spain was no longer an option to them and while their friends talked about their experiences, this couple was learning a new language, a new culture, very different from what they had ever known or prepared for.

This is what it is like to become parents of a child with a disability. There is a new land to explore, a new medical language to learn, a new culture of people, most wear white coats and speak in technicalese. Mostly it is an adjustment to a new normal and one where you feel very alone. Your friends are enjoying their children in “Spain” where you thought you were going, and they do not understand your new world.

Internally, most parents feel guilt. They wonder what they could have done to cause harm to this new- born baby. Questionnaires add to this feeling and well-intentioned medical staff continue to probe. “What did you eat during pregnancy? Do you smoke? Have you ever taken any drugs? Is there a history of this in your family?…etc” Of course the medical staff is trying to be sensitive and make their diagnoses but each question raises doubts that bounce off the guilt inside. I used to go through my life and especially my pregnancy in my mind with a fine tooth comb…was it this, was it that?

One of the questions you asked was, “What happens when one parent defects? What happens when one parent is deliberately absent?”

Well, honey, that is what happened to us. We landed in Holland and Dad left for Canada. Although physically he stayed in the family at least for a few years, emotionally he was in a country of his own for most your growing years.

There are always consequences. I believe for myself I went into overdrive, learning all I could about your disability. I went through the maze of appointments, hospitalizations, brace fittings, neurological tests, alone.

It was not always easy but it was never a burden.

Your two brothers tagged along and lived between Holland and Canada. Once I worried about what effect this was having on them. I discussed this with a Pastor who knew our family well and he said “Don’t worry, you have three fine boys who have become stronger and more compassionate because they have experienced sacrifice early in life.”

The fact that I was in a position that forced me to take a strong role may have somewhat alienated Dad, although he always had a choice to join us in Holland (he was a pilot after all). My strength did come from my new faith but before that, inwardly, very early, I accepted you as who you are and was delighted to have a third son. I had no extended family to call upon in those early years and it was very lonely.

Dad went into such a deep denial that he could look at the x-rays of your spine which contained no normal vertebra, a lung which was underdeveloped and ribs on one side that were malformed and crossed over one another, and say, “There is nothing wrong with the boy.” Your lifespan prior to surgery was early 20’s. Dad knew that.

Some of the consequences that I saw in you as you grew into a young boy were delightful, frustrating, confusing and humorous. What a character you were and are. You used the Velcro straps on your brace to make a ripping sound when the teacher bent over on your first day in school. You struggled with things people said to you, questions people asked, or worse, didn’t ask but stared instead. Others just turned away. You felt this rejection and your Dad’s absence. You responded with strangers from the age of four to about eight by lifting up your shirt and exposing your brace and saying, “Hi my name is Brad, and this is my brace.” You seemed to be saying, this is me, all of me, accept me or not. You were quite assertive about this.

With Dad you tried to please him, you wrote the cutest notes to him expressing fun and love for him, (I still have some) and you did things beyond your capacity such as pulling fallen trees out of the woods behind our house. You worked for hours and it was heartbreaking for your brothers and me to see. These actions were your cries to be noticed and accepted.

At school you were teased, and some children thought you were “contagious” and would not go near you. I also experienced comments from neighbors who felt that “handicaps should not be allowed in the school. They take up too much of the teacher’s time.”

As a child you could not have confronted Dad because children do not have the voice or vocabulary to express the pain inside. It’s up to the parents to learn to read the actions as a symptom of something deeper going on inside, rather than just correcting the behavior.

You also had a very strong will which I found frustrating when trying to get you to school on time. I saw no purpose in this at all until I met Sandra’s parents outside the hospital one day and her mom spilled out some of the things Sandra did and said. (Sandra was born with part of a leg and was an amputee) I couldn’t believe my ears! She could have been talking about you.

I do believe that those with disabilities have an inborn compensatory personality and I realized that when, at the age of 12, you went through two 20 hour surgeries. You amazed the doctor’s with your fight. In fact they nicknamed you “Trouper”. It was amazing to see you bravely fight through the pain and learn to walk again.

Brad, you continue to amaze me and I am so very proud of you. I would not change our time in “Holland”. You have taught me many new things and I am richer for it. Our adventures in this country have helped both of us welcome other newcomers who arrive and need some kind of map and someone to encourage and comfort.

To go back to your question, “What happens when one parent is deliberately absent?

I believe in most cases it is because of a feeling of helplessness, and there is nothing worse than for a parent to feel helpless when it concerns their own child. If this is not addressed, along with the guilt most parents feel, it can lead to fractures in relationship.

Sometimes one parent just cannot face it and then the other parent needs to find a support system through other family members or friends or support groups.

There is a grief that takes place as well, with all its stages: shock, denial, anger, depression, acceptance. These may come in waves and in different orders. Most couples will need to understand that they grieve differently. They need help in working this through.

The grief is about the loss of normal, the realization that all their hopes and expectations may need to be redirected to fit the new normal. This grief will be there to varying degrees all through the life of their child. It is a chronic condition and part of living in “Holland”. It’s also a time to shed any selfishness and to realign your priorities about life. It’s a time to grow in character and find out what is important in life.

Some don’t survive, some refuse counsel, some opt out. We never know until we are tested in some way how we will respond. The one thing I know is that others have walked this way before and have paved the way. Seek them out and you will find many stories of survival and rich experiences that will give you hope.

In Dad’s case it led to denial and lack of acceptance, but I believe the issue is not yours Brad, but Dad’s inability to deal with his own guilt and helplessness. It is not that you were “not enough”, but rather he believed at some level, that he was not enough, that he did not have the goods to face something beyond his control. In many ways, he is the one with the disability and sadly he missed all those years.

I also believe it is never too late to build a new relationship with your father and I pray that you will be able to do that. Come from the strong place of forgiveness and the realization that the issues are not yours, but his. He may never own them but that doesn’t mean you can’t extend love to him just the way he is.

Write or call and we can continue to talk. Hope this helps. Love, Mom

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Brad- your mother sounds like such an insightful and caring person. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. You need to put that letter in some safe place and read and reread it as the years go by. And hopefully it will help you to understand your Dad as well. Blessings as you continue your walk in Holland, touching base with family and friends in Canada and Spain as you go along... Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Wow, moved me to tears. How insightful and what a wonderful tribute, in my opinion, to both you and your mother.
      daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
      -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
      -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
      -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Brad,

Thank you for posting that.

This will stand as one of the most valuable posts in the NSF archive.

It is obvious your mother was lucky to have you and you were lucky to have her. You both extracted meaning and value out of chaos.

Best regards,
        sharon
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Brad,

Your mother's letter brought tears to my eyes. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful mom. You've told us before about your father's lack of support, but your post was very eye opening. I am sure that part of your father's behavior was guilt that somehow he passed defective genes to you.

It sound as though as a kid, you were (and still are) amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks for the kind words.

My mother is a councelor and a speaker, and she has spoken to women's groups about this before. (which is why I also asked her this question) I keep telling her she should write a book.

She's actually raised a few more questions for me as well. One is about my brothers. Until she wrote this I never really thought of them having to deal with a disability too, but they did, of course they did. I always saw them as living their lives, playing sports, hanging with their friends and bugging the hell out of me. So I need to talk to her, and my brothers about this too. About how they felt growing up with me. It should be enlightening to say the least. I received this email this morning and I've started looking at things in a new light, so I hope this will continue.

Thank you again for the kind words,

Brad
            2 Harrington rods
            Luque method used
            Dr David Bradford
            Postop xray

Comment

Hey Trouper,

Thanks for posting this. I like your moms foreign country analogy, that was good. She would be a neat lady to meet, with all her valuable experience. She exhibits deep perception.

I know all about denial, I experienced it from both parents. I was fortunate that I was older(16)when I was diagnosed. When I declined my surgery in 1974 after many closed door sessions with my surgeons,(on my own) it was sort of a release for both my parents, and it seemed that it "closed the book" on the subject for them. I was not confident with my surgeon, and weary about the complications of the procedure back in those days. I had to grow up fast and it affected my personality. I became very strong as I flew to Holland alone. My parents couldn't handle it, and it was during the "dark ages"

Your mom is right about us having an "inborn compensatory personality" I was fortunate to have grown up with a good friend who has a wooden leg and we bonded. He was and is a rock. He helped me during my "compensation period" after diagnosis as those were tough times as I was pretty pissed off. I grieved for about a year. Its funny,he became a psychoanalyst for the state of NJ.and now does this for a living. We drank champagne out of his leg at a college party in front of hundreds of people. It was the ultimate example of confidence, no one knew why we did that, they just laughed and were clueless.

You know that going to a foreign country isn't all that bad. People pay big bucks to do this on a regular basis. Its funny how you learn the language so quickly!!!

Adaptability is key for scolis and parents. Guilt is not part of the equation. I don't think that parents or mothers should feel guilty, its not their fault. Everybody needs to go on vacation together.

You and your mother shaped one another into outstanding individuals. We all get shaped into outstanding people as troupers who face such odds in life. Its our destiny and not our choice.
              One day at a time......

Lets toast! Toast to Holland!
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

What a lovely Mum and how lucky you are to have her. And vice versa as well, I'm sure.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Ed,

Thank you for sharing your story as well.

How did your parents feel as you went to Holland alone? Did they resent it or just ignore it or what? How did you deal with your parents?
                  2 Harrington rods
                  Luque method used
                  Dr David Bradford
                  Postop xray

Comment

"get on with your life"

Brad

Both my parents knew the surgery was extreme, especially for 1975. They didn't want me to go through with it. Some of the older generation back then thought of surgery as extremely risky and were things you just don't do. They wouldn't even think about it. No way, Jose. People today, have a different mindset, and accept new modern technology.

I was in a car accident as a passenger, and had problems walking right after. Nobody wore seatbelts back in those days and everyone was a crash test dummy! Safety meant having a car with a 10 foot hood, and we hit a big tree in a 67 Chrysler Newport at 25 and pushed it right to the dashboard. It was like sliding into home plate. The whole hood was a crumple zone. LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumple_zone

Anyway,the old family GP dxd it at his home. That was back in the days when MDs had offices in their homes. He said "you have scoliosis" He just looked at my back. No x-rays. No fancy tests. Adams bend over. The x-rays were done at a radiologist about a week later, and that was at his house. Of course, the doctors lived very close to where I lived,so I went alone. My GPs bill was probably around $30

I really had to become an expert at reading people. Especially older Doctors.They were all older, back in those days. I could sense that they were hesitant about it. The Docs knew about my skiing and how I felt about it. It really was the dark ages back then.

After the Doctor period, It was never addressed all that much with my parents. I mean, they would never bring it up, and I didn't have any pain. Back in those early days, I don't think that the Docs really knew what was going to happen with my back as far as progression. They said it was serious, and that the surgery was serious, and that was it. Get on with your life.

Anyone who had surgeries back then and earlier like Karen Ocker and Macky, those surgeries were like the moon launch. They put a man on the moon with a sliderule........ and of course, a little help from above. The mode of transport just 60 years prior was the stagecoach. Man-o-man. From pick-ax, to the theory of relativity, in a very short time.

Your surgery, took quite a bit from your mom and Dr Bradford. How long was the prep time, on yours? How long did you know Dr Bradford before your surgery? How did your mom find out about Dr Bradford?

You must have been scared to death? Do you remember your x-rays from age 12? How long was your recovery?

Sorry about the questions, inquiring scoli minds need to know.

Ed
                    Last edited by titaniumed; 09-23-2009, 12:59 AM.

My x-rays

Comment

Relax Doc!

Another thing I've noticed is that in meeting with older, non-scoli trained, old mindset, orthopedic docs, years ago, is that it seems that after looking at a set of spectacular x-rays they kinda freak.

I had one that just shook his head for about 3 minutes, speechless. He told me that I would have to wait till I couldn't walk, and that we will ship you down to San Francisco. (Dr Bradford)

At the hospital, when I had my gall stone issues last March, the ER Doc mentioned, "nice rack" "Who did the surgery?"

LOL
                      Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Wow, thats an interesting bit of history there. Did you live in small towns where you had a home doctor? In 1975 we moved from Halifax to Winnipeg and in both places I never saw a doctor work out of his home, but by then I was already seeing specialists and I had already been wearing a brace for a few years, so if I did I don't remember it. lol

So beling older, and able to make your own decisions... What were your thoughts during that time? Do you remember?

Your surgery, took quite a bit from your mom and Dr Bradford.

When Dr. Bradford came out of my first surgery he was white. (so my mother says, I wasn't there. lol) I guess I had problems breathing, which I have never gotten a more detailed answer about. Did I stop breathing? Did I actually die on the table? (I don't remember any white lights or tunnels) But I do know that my mother said he was really shaken. I was supposed to delay another two weeks for my second surgery, but I started healing very quickly and they went on schedule.

My mother was with me the entire time in Minneapolis, staying at different people's houses. (A sister church to ours had people putting my mother up in their homes, which was really really nice) My mother was tasked with even more as in support groups in the hospital she was asked to speak with other parents about how serious my condition was and how well I was doing. (I was the biggest curve in the hospital at the time) So I don't know how she was supporting me, other parents and herself. She is an amazing mother.

How long was the prep time, on yours?

Prep time? In what way? I had most of my xrays done in Winnipeg, my myleogram, blood gases, etc... were all done before I went into the hospital in Minneapolis. I had some last minute xrays, but that was it. As soon as my regular doctor stated I needed surgery as soon as possible I think it was about 6 months till I went under the knife.

How long did you know Dr Bradford before your surgery?

About 3 months I think. We flew down for a consult and I believe it was about 3 months later I was in his hospital.

How did your mom find out about Dr Bradford?

Dr. David McQueen was my original specialist and while one of the best in Canada, Dr. Bradford was better, so he sent me to him. My case was severe and he wanted the best outcome for me. Dr. McQueen was a great doctor to have, he was very supportive of my mother and he knew my father was in deep denial, he was a rock to my mother and I.

You must have been scared to death?

Yes, and no. For awhile my behaviour had changed, I was acting out, I was not as happy as I normally was, I talked back to teachers (which just wasn't done back then). It all came to a head one night when my parents were discussing what was going to happen, etc... I blew up at them, yelled and screamed that they were talking about my life without including me. (even though I was only 12) So they sat me down and told me what was going on, what the future (or lack thereof) would hold for me if I did not have the surgery, they told me the risks involved in the surgery (death, paralysis) and actually treated me like an adult. After that I had no worries. I went in knowing this was the best thing for me and that my parents and doctors cared about me and wanted what was best for me.

Do you remember your x-rays from age 12?

Well if you note my 'preop' xray link in my sig, yes I do.

I have had similar reactions to you when some doctors have seen my xrays. Usually if I go to a doctor with back pain issues I bring in my 'before and after' xrays and after their shock they usually start asking me all kinds of questions about what happened. The last guy I saw a few years ago asked who did it and when I said Dr. Bradford, he said, 'damn he does good work'. lol Its kind of weird too because the respect they have for Dr. Bradford seems to rub off on me a little bit, and I was just the patient. But they do treat me better after they know it was Dr. Bradford who worked on me. I just find that a bit odd.

How long was your recovery?

Well I was in the hospital for a month, and out of school for a year. They wanted no chance that I was going to be knocked around in school. Specially as they did remove 8 ribs to help fuse my spine. They wanted no knocking in that area at all.

The ribs did grow back, in three months. I wish I had a camera when I saw Dr. Bradford that time. The look on his face was pure shock. He was expecting to see some growth, as he had said they will be back in about a year, but I had 8 fully formed, perfect ribs (originally they were deformed). He looked at my xray, felt my side, looked at my xray, felt my side and said 'you have ribs!'. lol I think he was in shock.

Sorry about the questions, inquiring scoli minds need to know.

The Scoliosis Enquirer?
                        2 Harrington rods
                        Luque method used
                        Dr David Bradford
                        Postop xray

Comment

Yes, it was a very small town. These lyrics remind me of having scoliosis years ago. The small town doctors, the small town everything. It was a simple time, and scoliosis is far from simple. It explains quite a bit of what it was like.

You remember John Mellancamp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eDkAG3R0h8

Small Town lyrics

Well I was born in a small town
                          And I live in a small town
                          Prob'ly die in a small town
                          Oh, those small communities

All my friends are so small town
                          My parents live in the same small town
                          My job is so small town
                          Provides little opportunity

Educated in a small town
                          Taught to fear Jesus in a small town
                          Used to daydream in that small town
                          Another born romantic that's me

But I've seen it all in a small town
                          Had myself a ball in a small town
                          Married an L.A. doll and brought her to this small town
                          Now she's small town just like me

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
                          I cannot forget the people who love me
                          Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
                          And people let me be just what I want to be

Got nothing against a big town
                          Still hayseed enough to say
                          Look who's in the big town
                          But my bed is in a small town
                          Oh, and that's good enough for me

Well I was born in a small town
                          And I can breathe in a small town
                          Gonna die in this small town
                          And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me
                          ================================================== ======
                          I'm sure you get the idea now.

My thoughts were exactly what your mom mentioned in her letter. Grief with the stages, shock,denial,anger,depression,acceptance. All had their own specific time frames. This affects all that are close to the individual that has scoli or similar medical disorder. At the time that I saw my specialist, we were all in the shock phase. The medical terminology was overwhelming. I was in Holland, but didn't want to go to the moon.

As far as Dr Bradford being white after your surgery, I don't doubt that one bit. What a massive undertaking. Surgeons do the best they can and when something goes wrong, its a heavy burden. Its something that they have to deal with emotionally. Really tough stuff. That's why the good ones really cover themselves by making sure its a last resort, especially on tough cases.

I'm sure that you have had x-rays done after 1983? What happened with growth? You never had any wires break? When was the last time you had x-rays? I'm sure the wires stretched with your growth. I asked Dr Menmuir about luque wires and he told me that he pulls them out on revision surgeries. He said that they pull right out, no problem. I wanted to know because they were going to use the Luque rods with the L shape like yours, and the wires. Your rods are not traditional harrington rods, those have the notches in them and do not have the L bend that the Luque rods have. I never found out why they have that bend, I would like to know.

Your x-ray looks like a #7. I'm assuming that the x-rays are from the front and that the top apex point in your shoulder was on the left side???

How long were you on meds? The pain must have been incredible. What was it like to feel in the area where the 8 ribs were removed?

I think its a good thing that this thread is happening. There are things that I have not thought of mentioning, that have come out. It just has to happen with the right question at the right time I guess. Its not often that these issues are talked about concerning males with scoli. Maybe someone will benefit from this stuff in the future.

Ed Cougar Mellancamp

My x-rays

Comment

You remember John Mellancamp?

I remember a John 'Couger' Mellancamp, but not a John Mellancamp. Maybe we should tell John 'Couger' Mellancamp that someone is passing his song off as their own.

I was in Holland, but didn't want to go to the moon.

Huh. I've had it since birth, so how you 'late bloomers' dealt with it is interesting to me. To me scoliosis IS my 'normal', and how you guys dealt with this is simply amazing.

I'm sure that you have had x-rays done after 1983? What happened with growth? You never had any wires break?

Newp. Dr. Bradford wired me up tight! He also used the 8 ribs as fusing material, so I guess its wires and fusing that has held me there.

When was the last time you had x-rays?

Last year. No noticible change that I can see.

Your rods are not traditional harrington rods, those have the notches in them and do not have the L bend that the Luque rods have. I never found out why they have that bend, I would like to know.

See I thought Luque was a 'method' of using wires instead of screws, I didn't know they are different rods too. And yeah, I donno why about the 'L' shape either.

Your x-ray looks like a #7.

Sweet and Sour Pork with Fried Rice?

Whats a #7??

I'm assuming that the x-rays are from the front and that the top apex point in your shoulder was on the left side???

The right side of the picture is my right side, the left is the left... On my 'preop' picture you can see a reversed 'L' to designate it as the left side. Some of my xrays have that some don't. But I bend to the left side and my right shoulder is the higher one.

How long were you on meds? The pain must have been incredible. What was it like to feel in the area where the 8 ribs were removed?

After l left the wonderful embrace of morphine in the hospital I'm not sure what I was on, but I don't remember taking too many pills. I would say at least a few months.

The pain was not fun. It hurt to move for a long time. It was also getting used to standing so straight.

I don't really remember what it felt like. I had to wear the Milwaulkee brace all the time, and they added some protection to that area so I didn't accidently hit it.

I think its a good thing that this thread is happening. There are things that I have not thought of mentioning, that have come out. It just has to happen with the right question at the right time I guess. Its not often that these issues are talked about concerning males with scoli. Maybe someone will benefit from this stuff in the future.

As with anything some things just spark off something you see or hear and out pops a question.
                            2 Harrington rods
                            Luque method used
                            Dr David Bradford
                            Postop xray

Comment

Brad

Here is a luque manufacturer. Interesting stuff. Wire dia is .045. and they double it and push the bend through. See puller pic. Dr Ed Luque from Mexico came up with this system in the 70s.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D20%26um%3D1

I guess that the bend in the rod is there to act as a handle to help the surgeon maneuver the rod.
                              Why they don't cut if off is beyond me?

#7 is one less than #8. I had half an 8. LOL
                              Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                              X