No announcement yet.

Valleygirl's Road to Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to hear you are doing so well. I'm doing fairly well myself. My surgery was July 6th. I did however kinda hurt myself yesterday. My sister, cousins and I went to see an Uncle that lives in a memory care assisted living facility. When we were ready to leave, my uncle stood up and started to fall. Yep, you guessed it, instinct took over and I grabbed for him with my right arm under his right arm (he was falling backwards) and before I knew it, searing pain went up the right side of my back from my behind up I'm pretty sore today, but I don't think I really hurt anything. I see my surgeon again on Tuesday, so I'll have him check and make sure. Aye yi yi!! Betcha I don't do that one again

Debbie

Comment

Ouch Debbie...I feel your pain. Hopefully, it won't last long and you will be feeling like yourself again very soon.

Ed, I can't believe you are talking about constipation at 6 weeks post op. Is this really going to be an ongoing battle for so long? I thought I could try the coffee chocolate diet and throw in a little raisin bran for good measure. I guess this isn't your recommendation. Have to keep reminding myself about the protien...(isn't chocolate a protien?). And about the smoothies. Thanks for the ideas!

So, here's my latest problem (actually only an annoyance). I am finding my brace is very uncomfortable to wear for very long at all. I't seems to be rubbing against my shoulders and that part of my back is very irritated. When I go in for my 2 week follow-up appointment next week, I'll have it checked. Has anyone else had this problem with their brace right after surgery (if you wore one at all)? For what it's worth, I still have the dressing on my incision too. That should come off at next weeks doctor visit too.

Thanks again, to all of you for your input, advice and encouragement.
      ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
      Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
      Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
      Now curve is T38*, L53*
      Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

I'm at 5 1/2 weeks post op. I quit the laxatives a couple weeks ago when I reduced the meds to 5 mg Percoset every 6-8 hrs. I still eat a few prunes a day, mostly because they are so yummy! But I love raisins and craisins and dried apricots, so why not dried plums. I took Peri-Colace at bedtime (at least 2 hours off from when you take the narcotics) and would have a BM the next morning. Peri-Colace is 1/2 laxative and 1/2 stool softener.

I hardly wear my brace at all, only when driving or in the car. I think it rubs me wrong too, and it's like leaning against a very uncomfortable hard chair. My surgeon explained it's only a protective shell, not a "brace" like we wore to keep our backs straight when we were kids.
        Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
        Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
        Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
        Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
        Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

It's great to hear all you July/August/September patients doing so well!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
          X