Introducing myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing myself

Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 22 year old that was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 12 1/2. Its been almost ten years since my posterior and anterior fusion from T5 to L3. I had C-D horizon instrumentation placed along with bone grafts. During the two procedures I also had my left lung collapse and air surround my right lung. I should be very thankful that I have not had any problems until now.

I just went to see a new orthopedist today and I'm having new films and an MRI of my neck and brain done. Looking at my films from 2005 he said that it looks like from L3 down I could have spine degeneration, I can't believe it! I feel like I'm too young for that especially after the surgeries I have gone through before. The MRI is supposed to diagnose the possibility of a Chiari, which my mother has.

Sorry if I am venting, but I figured if anyone understands what I'm going through here would be a good place to find people. Thanks for reading my story.
    Idiopathic scoliosis diagnosed 11/1999 (12 years old)

Pre-op : 50 degree right curve (T4-T11) & 40 degree left curve (T11-L3)

Anterior fusion 1/18/2000 & Posterior fusion 1/21/2000
    Fused from T5 - L3

Post-op curves: 10 degrees right curve (T4-T11) & 18 degree left curve (T11-L3)

Originally posted by scoliogem View Post
    Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 22 year old that was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 12 1/2. Its been almost ten years since my posterior and anterior fusion from T5 to L3. I had C-D horizon instrumentation placed along with bone grafts. During the two procedures I also had my left lung collapse and air surround my right lung. I should be very thankful that I have not had any problems until now.

I just went to see a new orthopedist today and I'm having new films and an MRI of my neck and brain done. Looking at my films from 2005 he said that it looks like from L3 down I could have spine degeneration, I can't believe it! I feel like I'm too young for that especially after the surgeries I have gone through before. The MRI is supposed to diagnose the possibility of a Chiari, which my mother has.

Sorry if I am venting, but I figured if anyone understands what I'm going through here would be a good place to find people. Thanks for reading my story.
    I am new to all of this and just found your story and found that no one responded. Sounds like you're really bummed and maybe by now everything is better and your spine is not in fact degenerating. I hope that you felt better venting, because that's what I do a lot of on this blog. I'm 65 and found out that I have scoliosis. What's that about? I've found everyone here so helpful and I hope that maybe you found some help on another thread. Hope that your life is going well.
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by scoliogem View Post

Hi gem...

Welcome to the forums.

I wonder if, prior to your surgery 10 years ago, your L3 vertebra was close to horizontal (that is, not tilted). If it wasn't, that would certainly be a reason for early degeneration below your fusion.

I'm surprised that you didn't have an MRI prior to your surgery, since you have Chiara in a close relative.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Hi gem...

Welcome to the forums.

I wonder if, prior to your surgery 10 years ago, your L3 vertebra was close to horizontal (that is, not tilted). If it wasn't, that would certainly be a reason for early degeneration below your fusion.

I'm surprised that you didn't have an MRI prior to your surgery, since you have Chiara in a close relative.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Regards,
        Linda
        Linda,
        This thread is more than 2-1/2 years old. I doubt the person is still around. If so, how tragic that NO ONE welcomed them. I wasn't on the board back then or I would have.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
          Linda,
          This thread is more than 2-1/2 years old. I doubt the person is still around. If so, how tragic that NO ONE welcomed them. I wasn't on the board back then or I would have.
          Yes, very tragic. Thankfully, I think it's rare that posts slip through the cracks.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X