Help for coloring hair??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for coloring hair??

The last time I had my hair colored was the day before surgery -- 8 weeks ago. My grey roots are really showing. I bought a kit and thought I could do it myself at home but then I realized that I cannot lean over the sink to rinse the coloring agent or the conditioner out.

I thought about rinsing in the shower, but that presents all sorts of issues including getting cold while waiting for the color to take, having to apply and wait for the conditioner before rinsing again, and I couldn't help but imagine what else might accidentally get stained in the process

I've made an appointment to get it done in a salon for the time being but don't like the expense. Any suggestions ladies?
    At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
    Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
    Excellent correction

**bump**

I am hoping someone else will be able to answer your question...it is something that I have been thinking about as I prepare for surgery in 3 weeks.

About getting it done in a salon though - will I be able to lean back in one of those chairs where they rinse your hair in a sink? I know this may depend somewhat on fusion levels but at 8 weeks out is that a possibility?

--Steph

surgery in 3 wks! 9/23/09
    fusing T10 - L3 thoracolumbar curve
    --Steph

Anterior surgery 9/23/09
    Fused T10 - L3

Comment

I colored my hair the day before surgery so I'll be due to do it again in a couple weeks. I've always done it the same way, roots first in front of the mirror. Then near the end, I stand in the shower with a cup of warm water so I can work it through. I try not to get the rest of me wet, and I leave the bathroom for the last 10 minutes developing. You can run the shower after you're out to rinse the drips from the floor. I always return to the shower to wash the color out and condition. I've never used the sink.

Another option you might look into is the new 10 minute haircolors (marketed mostly in men's colors), or if you're a brunette and color the grey without lightening, maybe try a demi-permanent color available at beauty supply stores. I use Wella Color Charm on my husband. (shhh!) It lasts much longer than semi-permanents (like Loving Care) but doesn't lift or lighten like a peroxide permanent color, so there's never any roots or orangeness.
      Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
      Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
      Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
      Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
      Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

I have my hair professionally highlighted and leaning back in a sink presents a problem for me even this far out from surgery. My fusion starts at T4 and I can really feel the strain in my neck when I lean back. I always ask for an extra towel that I can use under my neck but sometimes it still bothers me. I think with the long fusion I have leaning back in a sink will always be difficult. I just don’t want to injure my cervical vertebrae.

Comment

Ladies,

I am so proud of you wanting to care of your looks. I cheat -- I'm going gray, naturally. So don't have any suggestions. I do know when I went for my first haircuts after surgery my stylist was great. I was in the brace and she helped me lean back in the chair and to sit up when washing was done. I think if you tell your salon stylist they will be able to help you. Good luck!
          Les
          Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
          Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
          T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
          Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
          Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
          Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
          Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
          Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
          Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I had my hair dyed back to its natural color (mousy brown, of course) before surgery and it turned it to be a really smart thing to do because I didn't have to worry about roots (not that I would have cared for at least a couple of months post-op). A hairdresser friend of mine came over to the house to cut my hair twice before I finally made it back to the hairdresser at around 4 months post-op and went back to being gloriously blonde, ha ha....

I'm not crazy about leaning back either but I use a pillow....and I wore my brace at the hairdresser's for about a year....long after I'd stopped wearing it everywhere else.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi 52skeedoo

Like you, by 8 weeks (or it might have been earlier) my grey roots were showing through too - I had a home kit ready to use and my sister came over and put it on for me. I then put an old towel on the pillow and went for a lie down. I rinsed in the shower sat down I was still using my shower seat (something I had never done before I used to lean over the bath or sink to rinse the coloring agent out) but now one year on I still rinse in the shower (now standing up) and it works fine. btw I did the conditioner bit real quick when I was in the early recovery stage.

hope this helps - if you're like me, you hate the grey showing through and I felt loads better once it was done - think I might of even put a bit of makeup on too!
              All the best
              Louisse
              Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Maybe you can use some of this logistical plan. My husband washed my hair for me 6 days post op (I couldn't shower cuz I also had a hernia repair, too, and neither doctor really wanted me getting wet until I had seen them both). I lay down across my bed sideways. I was on my back with my knees bent over two pillows. I got as close to the edge without my head hanging over. We happened to have a chair that when the back was pushed against the bed, it was exactly the same height. We put tons of towels on the edge of the back of the chair. I rested my head on this. Then we put a basin in the seat of the chair. Using really large plastic pitchers, he was able to rinse and wash my hair really well without any strain on my neck. He had to lift my neck a little to clean under it. Not sure if that would help with hair coloring. Good luck!
                Kathy, 43
                Diagnosed as a teen
                Boston brace 2 years
                63 degree lumbar curve
                Surgery August 26, 2009
                Anterior approach fused T12-L4
                now 28 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by 52skeedoo View Post
                  The last time I had my hair colored was the day before surgery -- 8 weeks ago. My grey roots are really showing. I bought a kit and thought I could do it myself at home but then I realized that I cannot lean over the sink to rinse the coloring agent or the conditioner out.

I thought about rinsing in the shower, but that presents all sorts of issues including getting cold while waiting for the color to take, having to apply and wait for the conditioner before rinsing again, and I couldn't help but imagine what else might accidentally get stained in the process

I've made an appointment to get it done in a salon for the time being but don't like the expense. Any suggestions ladies?
                  Ever since my surgery, beginning at about 8 weeks post op, my hairdresser comes to the house to color and/or cut my hair. After it 'sits', I go into the shower and wash and condition it myself. My body and hands do not get stained by the color. It's much more convenient than going to the salon, besides, those chairs at the sink were uncomfortable enough even before I was fused. She doesn't mind coming (she gets the whole $$ to herself), and I love it. While she's there she cuts my husband and kids' hair when they need it too.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbe--You're right--leaning back in those things was bad before. I've had two haircuts but asked her not to shampoo it. I guess I thought it might get better. I'm supposed to have highlighting in Oct. but I don't see how I can possibly lean back. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I'm laughing because I was also worried about the gray coming out after surgery. I colored before surgery as well!! I just recently did my own. I did it by wrapping a beach towel around me while the color was processing, got in the shower to rinse (it doesn't stay on your skin long enough to stain while rinsing), put conditioner on and let it sit while I finish showering and wa-la!! (and boy was I pooped after!!!)
                      Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by Bionic Woman View Post
                        I did it by wrapping a beach towel around me while the color was processing, got in the shower to rinse (it doesn't stay on your skin long enough to stain while rinsing), put conditioner on and let it sit while I finish showering and wa-la!!
                        Debbie
                        I haven't had my surgery yet and that's exactly the way I've been doing it for years. Are you saying that there has been another, easier way than that?
                        ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
                        Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
                        Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
                        Now curve is T38*, L53*
                        Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

I have been coloring my hair at home for many years and have been rinsing it off in the shower since my fusion 4 years ago. Prior to that I would rinse it in the kitchen sink. It's easier in the shower and it seems that I get out all of the dye. I will rinse with gloves depending on what I am using for the color. I have stained my hands and my forehead too many times. I have always known about putting vaseline around the hairline but I am usually too lazy for that.
                          avis
                          1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                          2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                          2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                          Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Thanks !

Ladies,

You are all wonderful. Thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions.

When I've done it myself, I have always rinsed in the sink. I actually thought I might stain my toes or back if I rinsed in the shower! Glad that several of you have been brave enough to test that out and found it doesn't happen.

I envy those who know a hair dresser well enough to have her come to the house. I used to drive 45 minutes to get my hair done and couldn't ask that girl over to my home.

I'm scheduled to get it cut & colored at a new place on Tuesday. That means I will be leaning back in that uncomfortable chair. I'll her about my recent surgery and hopefully she will make accommodations. Keep you posted.

Sheri
                            At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                            Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                            Excellent correction

Comment

Originally posted by valleygirl View Post
                              I haven't had my surgery yet and that's exactly the way I've been doing it for years. Are you saying that there has been another, easier way than that?
                              No, I just used to do it the hard way by just hanging my head over the side of the tub Won't be doing it that way anymore!!
                              Deb

Comment

Working...
                              X