Thread: rib concavity deformity

rib concavity deformity

I understand that the rib hump deformity can be corrected/partially corrected with surgery. I was wondering about the concave side? I forgot to talk to my physician at my consult with him about this. But not only do I have a pronounced rib hump deformity, but on the other side, my ribs are sunk-in quite a bit. Will these ribs eventually move back out, even a little?

I'm wondering now that if I decide to have the surgery, and I definitely want to have my rib hump addressed, then what about the other side? I will still look "deformed" if those ribs are concave.
    Laurie
    Age 57
    Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
    Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
    Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
    Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
    Dr Munish Gupta
    UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

The surgeon twists the spine to get it back where it belongs. The rotating moves the hump in and the concave side out at the same time. I had a bad hump on one side, and a huge fold on the other. Now both sides of my waist have the same shape. Here's a link to a computer animation so you can see how they mainpulate the spine and rotate it. It's computer, so no blood or gore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGCGrI8jXaY
    Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
    Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
    Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
    Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
    Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL