No announcement yet.

pt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[I am now down to 6 1/2 hydrocodone a day and 3 muscle relaxers.

Janet,

That's still less than me: here's what I am still taking.

dose 1: 40mg oxy, 2 valium, 200mg celebrex, surfax

dose 2: 2 valium and (tramadol if needed on somedays)

Dose 3: 2 valium and 40 mgs oxy

bedtime: 4mg zanaflex, 200mg nuerotonin, surfax, phenergan, and all my vitamins

I really want to lessen the oxy. I was taking valium prior to surgery so that's why the dose is doubled. I can't see getting that down anytime soon. I am still having a lot of muscle spasms but I also do alot during the day. I am waiting to see how my doc whats me to go about doing this. He originally said just cut one dose out but I don't want to end up being sick which by talking to everyone on here I know many have gotten sick. My doc sometimes for some reason just doesn't get it...as much as I love how much he has given back to my life:O)
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Susan, That seems like a lot of meds, and a lot of different ones, for being 4 months post-op. I'm at 2 1/2 weeks and I'm down to 40 mg Percoset/oxycodone in an entire 24 hours. Is the pain really that unbearable? I can understand muscle relaxers, but how does the valium really fit in?
      Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
      Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
      Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
      Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
      Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

I am at 6 month and still on pain meds. My surgeon and my gp who prescribes for me are both aware of what I take and my surgeon actually said that when and if I come off, I would guide the process. I have cut down substantially but don't see going off of everything in the very near future. We are all different in our pain tolerance and levels and I don't know about anyone else, but if it were just my back and back surgery I was dealing with then maybe I would be off my meds but that's not the case. I also deal with both knees and both shoulders and would be in deep doo doo if I couldn't take pain meds. Today was my first day at my practicum so I didn't take any break through meds until my shift was over. By the time I got home I was not in good shape and because now I have to turn around and go to school I am deliriously glad that I had meds to take for the pain and glad to report much less pain and stiffness since taking them.
        Thank you and I hope that made sense. It's a long day.
        avis
        1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
        2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
        2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
        Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Susan--
          Not sure if I made myself clear--6 1/2 total not 6 half tabs. Anyway, you are right that does seem like a lot. I finally gave up trying to get meds through my surgeon. Yes, he was wonderful for the surgery, but they don't seem to have a plan for pain after that. What he says and the receptionist/nurse didn't jive and I was being cut off by 6 months and knew there was no way. I finally went to my regular physician at home and he is basically my "pain management" person now. The oxycontin & percocet I had for maybe two months and had no trouble changing to hydrocodone & muscle relaxers. I really don't know much about some of your other meds but it is certainly true that we are all very different in our recovery. I hope you get some assistance in drawing down some of these when you are able. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

meds

Sandy,

The Valium acts as a muscle relaxer. I have been it's one of the most effective. I was on it prior to surgery so that's why the dose is higher now. I also have a very high tollerance to meds and unfortunately tylenol doesn't touch the pain. I've tried. Even in the hospital getting morphine and it didn't even knocked me out, it helped the pain but I still stayed very aware and of sound mind. It's wonderful that you were able to ween off so quickly, I admire that your body agreed with you and allowed you to accomplish that. I on the other hand seem to be a slow healer as far as pain goes and my system is just not ready I guess. I exercise 6 days a week faithfully and have started adding weights. I am making progress and just need to realize that everyone is different. I have an email out to the dr. to start lowering the dose of the oxy and we'll see how that goes. I would like to cut the pills in half that i have now but because it's a long acting med I am going to assume that cutting it in half isn't possible. If you can cut them in half if someone could let me know that would be appreciated. I wish you continued success with your recovery. Sounds like your doing great.
            Susan

Comment

Avis,

You mentioned knee issues. Did you have surgery on your knees or do they just bother you. Mine have always bothered me on and off. I get sharp pains right under the knee cap. They went away after surgery but started again yesterday while I was on my elliptical. I always assumed the pains were due to eveything being out of alinement but was frustrated when they started up again. However, I am due for new sneakers and that might have something to do with it. We'll see. I think when I see my doc in October if my pain levels haven't started getting better I may ask about a pain management doc. I really feel that at this point I shouldn't have as much pain as I have. With that said though I have trip and stumbled so many times that I keep setting myself back which could also be the reason I'm still on so much.

Last week I was rolling over in bed and felt a tearing/ripping sensation at the top of my rod and between my shoulder blade. I made it to an up right position and just sat there crying because the pain was so bad and that's how my husband found me. He checked things out and said there was a big lump from the rod over to my shoulder blade. I may have mentioned this in a prior post....can't remember. I thought maybe it could have been scar tissue or an adhesion but the Dr. said it could be a Bursa(spelling?) Anyways, it feels like it's starting up again. He said they can inject the area and that should take care of it. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I think once I stop having these types of problems and stop tripping over things I should be able to come off some of my meds. I use to be so coordinated and now if one thing is out of place in the house I find it and trip over it I swear. MY brain has not caught up to this nice new straight body that I have :O) What the hell!!!!!!
              Susan

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
                I exercise 6 days a week faithfully and have started adding weights.
                Susan, I know you were a bodybuilder, but maybe you're doing too much. I was in excrusiating pain 5 years ago, and after the doc told me it was because of the arthritic spurs in my sacrum, I quit going to the gym, quit the back extensions and ab exercises that I'd been doing religiously for 15 years, and the pain subsided. I was rubbing sensitive tissue over bone spurs and was overdoing it. Just take it easy, you're young and you'll be fine. Like you say, we're all different and have different tolerances, both for pain and for medicine.
                Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
                Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
                Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
                Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
                Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Susan--
                  I know what you mean about the high tolerance to pain meds. I think for me it was due to all the Excedrin Extra Strength, etc. I took for years and years for all the aches and pains. Unfortunately, the tripping could well have something to do with the meds your're on. You sort of get into a Catch-22--you need them do to the falls and they may be contributing. With what I'm on my husband still thinks I'm loopy at times and I really was before! Also, I do know you are NOT to cut the Oxycontin in half! I remember that one. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Sandy,

That's to bad that you had to quit the gym. I know for me it broke my heart making that decision to not compete any more. Spending 5 years in pain before even realizing that it was my scoliosis causing all the problems sent me reeling. If I can be half way normal someday I will be happy with that. I went out grocery shopping with my husband today for the first since surgery. We just got home. He pushed the cart and I pushed the baby in his stroller. I am in so much pain. I suppose though that if I don't start doing these things I won't get stronger. I am still amazed at how soon people jump right back into a relatively somewhat normal routine. I thought I would be one of those people. It frustrates me to no end that I am not. As I have said though, I do not experience the same pain as prior to surgery so that's a step in the right direction. It's a very different pain. I am just hoping I'm not one of those people that surgery just changed the kind of pain I have. As far as I am concerned that would be no of life to have but we deal with what we are delt. I am sure things will be fine in due time like you said. Take care and hope things are good for you.
                    Susan

Comment

Sandy,

The Valium acts as a muscle relaxer. I have been it's one of the most effective. I was on it prior to surgery so that's why the dose is higher now. I also have a very high tollerance to meds and unfortunately tylenol doesn't touch the pain. I've tried. Even in the hospital getting morphine and it didn't even knocked me out, it helped the pain but I still stayed very aware and of sound mind. It's wonderful that you were able to ween off so quickly, I admire that your body agreed with you and allowed you to accomplish that. I on the other hand seem to be a slow healer as far as pain goes and my system is just not ready I guess. I exercise 6 days a week faithfully and have started adding weights. I am making progress and just need to realize that everyone is different. I have an email out to the dr. to start lowering the dose of the oxy and we'll see how that goes. I would like to cut the pills in half that i have now but because it's a long acting med I am going to assume that cutting it in half isn't possible. If you can cut them in half if someone could let me know that would be appreciated. I wish you continued success with your recovery. Sounds like your doing great.
                      Hi Susan,

I'm going to be a busybody and also suggest you are doing way too much. You really need to rest more because your body needs rest to heal. You are using your energy to exercise rather than for healing. As to adding weights, I can't believe your Doctor has approved that. Fusion takes up to 9 months to take place. You could be at risk for breaking a rod until the fusion is complete. I know I am a lot older than you, but my Doctor doesn't even approve of Physical Therapy for any of his patients until 6 months post-op, and yes, your muscles atrophy in that time. However, he wants his patients to have a successful fusion and he has a very high rate of success. There is plenty of time after 6 months to get you muscles back in shape. If you rest more, I will bet your pain level will drop down a whole lot faster.

I wish you well, Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Susan,
                        Ditto! I still don't like pushing a grocery cart, hurts too much. But my revision surgery was only in Mar 09. I was told even pulling weeds was too strenuous. So I have spent the last 16 months just doing nothing and healing (original surgery in Apr 08, clamp removed in Oct 08, and T3 fracture reparied and revision surgery in Mar 09). I figure by Jan 10, I should be back in the swing of things. I do vacuum now, but sure pay for it pain-wise for several days. If it hurts, don't do it. Listen to your body. It's hard to hear it (or for it to even speak) if you are doing so much and masking the warnings with meds. I still take an occasional muscle relaxant, and just this week had to call and ask for a different med as nothing I had on hand was working. Take it one day at a time, and take it EASY! Hugs-Les
                        Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                        Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                        T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                        Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                        Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                        Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                        Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                        Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                        Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I have to agree with the others that you might be pushing too hard. I know I was. I used to take 40 mg oxycontin daily and then hydrocodone and muscle relaxants as needed (which really meant all day long). With all that pain med on board I really couldn't judge how much I was hurting.

I'm 9 weeks post op and I'm completely off the oxycontin. It's true that everything hurts more than it did when I was on oxycontin, but for me that is good. Now I am doing much better at balancing rest and activity. I can really tell when I have been too active. The pain tells me to slow down and rest -- exactly what the doctor ordered.

As others have said already, oxycontin cannot be cut. In fact, cutting them can cause an overdose because you can absorb the medicine too fast. The doctor can order lower dose pills to help you taper off.

Good luck.
                          At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                          Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                          Excellent correction

Comment

Thank you all for the catious warnings. Maybe I am doing to much and expecting to much of myself so soon. I feel that I should have more stamina at this point. I had to go back to using the spirometer every day and that has helped the pain in the back of my shoulder blade and helping the muscles stretch and not be so sore. I just would be happy hearing that someone out there @ 4 months is still slow going. I feel pretty good most of the time when I am in the house, I still need to build up stamina going out. That will come in time. My biggest concern though is I really do not feel that I am ready to start weening off yet, I guess I will just listen to my body and take it day by day and eventually I will be good as new. Again, thank you all for you input. My mother in law got back last night and is here again and she keeps me in line ;O)
                            Susan

Comment

Bear in mind that it takes ordinary mortals ONE FULL YEAR to really recover.
                              Chris
                              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thank you all for the catious warnings. Maybe I am doing to much and expecting to much of myself so soon. I feel that I should have more stamina at this point. I had to go back to using the spirometer every day and that has helped the pain in the back of my shoulder blade and helping the muscles stretch and not be so sore. I just would be happy hearing that someone out there @ 4 months is still slow going. I feel pretty good most of the time when I am in the house, I still need to build up stamina going out. That will come in time. My biggest concern though is I really do not feel that I am ready to start weening off yet, I guess I will just listen to my body and take it day by day and eventually I will be good as new. Again, thank you all for you input. My mother in law got back last night and is here again and she keeps me in line ;O)
                                As I have said over and over my biggest problem post surgery was the muscle spasms around the left shoulder blade. It does get better. I think that if I had wanted to wait till they were totally gone to get off pain meds, I'd never get off. Muscle releaxants definitely help when I'm having a 'spell'. These eppisodes are defintely less frequent than they were at the 4 month mark. It definitely happens more when I 'overdo' it, too much housework, etc.

Good luck & feel better.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                                X