Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult Scoliosis Docs in Chicago

Hi,

Am 62 with a 30 degree curve and I am seeking scoliosis doctors in the Chicago area. All that I have read from forums suggest that I go to a doctor that specializes in adult scoliosis. So far I have found two doctors. One is Dr. Kim Hammerberg from Rush Hospital. The other is Dr. Koski from Northwestern. Dr. Koski is more adult scoliosis. Also, I got the name of Dr. Marjedko in Morton Grove. He does 60-40 adult/child.

Does anyone have any experience with these doctors. If not, do you know of any excellent doctors in the midwest?

Thanks so much.

Barbara-- Dr. Hammerberg is my doctor and I have been very pleased with him and the surgery he performed on me. He does do adults. PM me if you have any questions. You can look at my x-rays by clicking on them in my signature. Another member on the forum, ChrisWBS, was very happy with Dr. Gupta who is also in Chicago. Here is a link to the SRS site (Scoliosis Research Society)-- I plugged in Chicago IL and adult scoliosis for the parameters and came up with about 10 or so doctors. Try it and you'll see them listed, along with phone numbers and locations, etc. Best wishes as you look for a good match for you.

http://srs.execinc.com/edibo/PublicDirectory

(You will need to click on the "geographic and specialties" tab up near the alphabet letters... and then put in the criteria you want.)
    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 08-22-2009, 09:26 PM.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Barbara,

Chicago has some excellent adult scoliosis surgeons. Through networking and a couple support group meetings I attended prior to my surgery, I heard only positive feedback on the following doctors: Michael Schafer at Northwestern, Kim Hammerberg and Chris DeWald at Rush and Steven Mardjetko and Chris Bergin at Illinois Bone & Joint. And of course there’s my surgeon who I would recommend in a heartbeat. And I was 59 when I had my surgery. I was recently asked to be a patient referral to a couple people contemplating surgery with him, one of whom is a 65-year-old woman who out of fear cancelled her surgery. I assured her she will be in excellent hands. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck to you.
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Aronovi View Post
        Hi,

Am 62 with a 30 degree curve and I am seeking scoliosis doctors in the Chicago area. All that I have read from forums suggest that I go to a doctor that specializes in adult scoliosis. So far I have found two doctors. One is Dr. Kim Hammerberg from Rush Hospital. The other is Dr. Koski from Northwestern. Dr. Koski is more adult scoliosis. Also, I got the name of Dr. Marjedko in Morton Grove. He does 60-40 adult/child.

Does anyone have any experience with these doctors. If not, do you know of any excellent doctors in the midwest?

Thanks so much.
        Are you contemplating getting surgery for only a 30 degree curve?

Comment

I'm guessing she has pain but we will see.

A surgeon should help her if she is in pain and it can't be managed elsewise even if she only has a 30* curve.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Dr. Mardjetko

This is my first post on this website after lurking around for months. My 16 year old son had surgery with Dr. Mardjetko for Scheuermann's Kyphosis in April 23rd of this year. He went from a 70-75 degree hump to almost nothing at all. My father has had numorous surgeries with him also and is scheduled for another surgery in October. He is also keeping an eye on my daughters back for a minor curve. I guess we like to keep our doctors in the family. I can not say enough about Dr Mardjetko. He is very good at what he does and we have been very happy with him. I recommend him to everyone.

Comment

Working...
            X