Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoracoplasty Post-Fusion

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to do research about thoracoplasty after spinal fusion, and I can't seem to find much on it. I have a severe rib hump deformity that was not corrected much with my fusion last year even though the doctor had expected it would be. If I were to have this done, it wouldn't be for another couple of years from now; however, I think it's a good idea to start seeing people now or some time in the near future. Can anyone out there please give me advice on how to start my search or if you have any input from your own personal experiences with the surgery. If you got any additional correction from it, the recovery process, etc. I have severe shoulder pain and shoulder blade pain where the hump is still. I wish this would go away.

Thanks so much

Hi,

I had one done 4 years after my original fusion. I had I would say a medium size rib hump and it did bother me when sitting and it was noticable if I lend slightly forward. The surgeon who did my fusion done the operation.

It wasnt anyway near as bad as the fusion but was painfully when they put the cast on to make sure that the ribs a push down about 4 days after the op.Took me about 2 months to recover. The results are well worth it.

Only word of caution is something I found out only recently as my curve has increased slightly and I may need revision is that because of the procedure it reduced my lung capacity by 10% ( not that I notice ) but if I have a revision it would be reduced by 25%.This would not be the case had I not had the thoraplasty.

Comment

Hi..I had mine done around 1988 a few years after my harrington rod implant.I did see pretty good results but Its still there.I have to be carfull of what clothing I wear.Im glad I did have it done and as far as I know the only negative thing was it made my scar a little worse.I dont know if it was because of having it done that I developed a large cist under shoulder blade or not but I had to be opend up again to remove a softball sized(water sack) is how doc described it.I have pics somewhere that the doc gave me of the ribs he removed ...ick.never want to eat bbq again...I recall it seemed to take about 2 months to recover.I also note a little pain under shoulder blade at times when I use that arm alot,not sure if its scar tissue or what.Good luck on research,I hope all goes well.

Comment

Hi, I have a thoracoplasty in 1994 at the same time as a spinal fusion surgery. After my spine settled down following that, my rib hump was still quite "sharp" and my surgeon said that it would be possible to achieve a lot more correction so I had a further, standalone thoracoplasty done in 2001.

The results of a thoracoplasty depend on the degree to which your spine continues to rotate into the rib hump. I had my thoracic spine fused in 1986 with an old-style Harrington Rod which could not derotate the vertebrae, so my spine still rotates out into my hump to some extent and it wasn't possible to flatten it completely. Despite this, the results of the operation were amazing

It is an extremely painful operation. I've had a lot of spinal surgeries and this was the most painful procedure by far. The pain is short-lived though, and the results are SO worth it. You can expect to be in agony for a couple of weeks, and not really comfortable for a couple of months. Coughing, sneezing, and yawning will hurt! I'd do it again in a heartbeat though, if I were a candidate.

Good luck!!

Comment

Hi, I had extensive thoracoplasty in 1983 to remove a large rib hump and had previously been fused in 1961 with no rods. Cosmetically, the results were very good. Some things could not be corrected such as a large right chest indentation due to my large high thoracic curve. My self esteem improved as well as my social life and job function. Promotions that previously eluded me with effort now came easily with little effort. The down side became evident later in life. At about age 55, I began to have difficulties which were later diagnosed as severe restrictive lung disease and now have a lung function of about 28%. The doctors now tell me that the thoracoplasty was a contributing factor in the severity of my loss of lung function. My life is significantly shortened because of my lung problems. However, I have enjoyed the benefit for 25 years.

Comment

Working...
          X