progressing 2 degrees per year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• progressing 2 degrees per year

I am scheduled for surgery on November the 18th. I found out Friday that my curvature has progressed to 70 degrees. That is an average of 2 degrees per year. 5 years ago I was at a 60 degree curvature. My doctor said that he would make a small incision under my armpit and remove three of the rigid disks. He would then flip me over and make a foot long incision from right below my neck to right above my waist. He said I should not lose too much flexibility since the thoractic vertabrae are the only ones being fused. He also said that my lower curvature would straighten once the upper is fixed. The scariest thing about the surgery is that they will have to collapse one lung. I will have to wear a drain tube for 3 or 4 days. I've heard it is really hard to breath with the chest tube.

Hi Lexy...

It seems that everyone's experience with the chest tube is different. Mine didn't bother me all that much.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

chest tube

Mine never bothered me either.
      Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
      X