Great :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great :)

So I've been trying this new therapy, called rolfing. Neil King Physical Therapy in Troy, Michigan (where I live). It's like massage, only kinda painful. He loosens the faschia under my skin. In 3 visits (I'll have 10 total), he has evened out my shoulders, gotten rid of my pigeon toe walk, moved my RIB CAGE and started twisting my spine back into formation. He has me practice "getting long". I imagine a string going all the way through my body up out my head, in the center of my body, and inch in front of my spine. And everything I do, I imagine this string. So when I bend over, it's from my waist keeping my back straight, and then I don't hunch or slouch. He says my muscles and bones will center around this imaginary string. Honest, going into it I thought it was a load of bull. But it's NOT! It's working. My pain has gone from a 9, to a 3. I haven't taken my meds in weeks. I look NORMAL. If any of you are looking for a non surgical solution, please, PLEASE, go to Neil. Guys...I haven't felt hope of not needing surgery in a long long time. My scoliosis no longer owns me. Please guys, try this therapy. It's changing my whole life.

I do hope you are not Neil or working for Neil. Your story does sound rather nice though. To go from a pain scale of 9, which is unbearable, to a 3 using deep tissue manipulation and psychological imagery is quite extraordinary.

As always, I must try something for myself before I totally dismiss it. There is one thing that holds me back though - the quite large costs of rolfing - $75 to $165 per session! Ouch, that financial pain would hurt as much as my back pain :P
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

No of course I'm not Neil or a staff member. He actually found a way to include rolfing in physical therapy. Therefore, insurance covers it. So it's okay. My family is very financially strapped, and this is okay for us. And honestly, it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by emily4416 View Post
        No of course I'm not Neil or a staff member. He actually found a way to include rolfing in physical therapy. Therefore, insurance covers it. So it's okay. My family is very financially strapped, and this is okay for us. And honestly, it's worth it.
        Okay Emily. I hope you keep feeling better
        45L/40T
        Surgery 25/1/2010
        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

i did the 10 sessions of rolfing a couple years ago...$125 each session! it was a cool, unique, and educational experience, but it wasn't quite worth the money for me. it just seemed more or less like deep tissue massage...but since the 10 sessions work on specific areas each time, i felt that a lot of the time we weren't even working on areas of my body (like my back, neck, and shoulders) that needed the most loosening up. i remember one session the practitioner spent half of the time working on my nose (and i had my nose pierced at the time)! personally, i prefer to just get massages (you don't have to go to a certified rolfer to get fascial release) - which i do once a month now just to keep everything moving. and, any lessening in pain i got from the rolfing was very temporary. just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
          X