High School,, Brace, Sports UGH!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School,, Brace, Sports UGH!!

Okay guys so ive been in the brace for almost 7 months now. im soo used to it that sometimes i forget that it is on,, but of course its always there!! okay so im starting my first year of high school and im extra excited. but my school is big the high school is like really amazing!! im scarred to wear it there because its gonna be a new expereience for me! also i dont want to wear my brace on the first day just so i get to know where im going, is that okay?? any advice?? is it cool to have your brace off for that many hours??
    Katelyn Caralle
    14 9th grade
    Curve out of brace:decreased to 15
    Curve in brace: 0
    Boston Brace

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to take the brace off for 2-3 days before you get a radiograph?

If so then losing the brace the first day of school can't matter, yes?

I don't think anyone knows whether not wearing a brace for one day like that matters. It doesn't seem like it possibly could matter but again, I don't think anyone knows either way.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

My daughter takes her brace off for the first day of school, camp, you name it. She feels more comfortable going into a new situation without it on, and then resumes wearing it the following day. She wears it 22-23 every day, so I do not think it is a big deal to leave it off for one day, or really, 1/2 day if you are just concerned about the school day.

Comment

I am glad you are wearing your brace regularly - that seems to be one of the hardest things a parent has to contend with is getting the kids/teens to understand that it is important for you & only you!

I don't think it will hurt for you to go a day at school without your brace but you might find yourself a little achy/sore at the end of your day because you are sitting alot & not aligned for the day - just a thought!
        I hope you have a lot of friends from your jr high school going with you to your high school - it is those friends that care about you & accept you whether you are in a brace or not - most probably don't even think about you having it on - you are who you are & people don't usually care if you have a wheel chair, crutches or even yes, a body brace -
        most kids my son goes to school with always thought his "body armor" was really cool & wanted try it on LOL
        Also I think it is important to answer questions when asked - some kids have no idea about different problems/situations & really want to know how it is.
        Anyway good luck in high school - it can be one of your most wonderful experiences in life - spread your wings & fly!

Comment

Off To High School

I just dropped my daughter off at her first day of high school in a new school of 3,000 kids where she doesn't know anyone. She did not wear her brace the first day but she will wear it tomorrow. I wish all of you lots of luck this school year and try to take one day at a time!

Comment

i did the exact same thing for my first day of high school...
            your back may start to hurt, but i didnt care because i was more comfortable with out having to worry if it showed or anything like that

Comment

Not on the First Day

My daughter also did not wear her brace the first day of school, or to the audition for the school play (which she got a part in). She will not wear it when she performs in the play either.

Comment

i understand

hi! ive being wearing my brace for 6 months and i just started middle school. and sometimes its okay to take a break from your brace. How bad is your curve. What degree is it at.

Comment

mom 15 is my mom and its true i only wore goacho and big shirts but hey bosten braces arnt that bad i had all my friends sign it with sharpie and fraw pictures it can still be lots of fun
                  Diagonosed:age12
                  and im still alright

Comment

I do it too!

On special occasions at school where we get released early for holidays I don't wear it or if I want to be comfortable for final exams. But on the down side I do tend to get achy/sore. But I just rotate my back a little to ease the pain.

Comment

Hey, I'm just starting high school too and luckily I'm still going to the same school because its 7-12 grade (phew, that takes aload off the nerves!!!)

I too am keeping it off for the few day or two because I want kids to know I'm still me (and no, I'm not injured!) and i just have a curve. Just make sure at some point you get into wearing it because the sooner u and i start the sooner kids and us will get used to it!
                      Lindsey D.

Embrace your Curves!

Comment

Working...
                      X