Bed Types??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed Types??

I was wondering what type of bed people with scoliosis and back pain are sleeping on... I used to have a waterbed which I was told is terrible for your back but it felt great for me but since I stopped sleeping in it for so long (off to college/etc) I cannot get comfortable in one anymore.

If I sleep on my side (opposite my curve- ie my back is a "C" if you look from behind and I sleep on the right side to encourage the curve to flatten out- hasn't worked yet but makes sense in my head) but now my right ribs start aching if I'm not positioned just right.

I try to sleep on my back but it's never very comfortable.

I keep seeing advertisements for tempurpedic and how it keeps your spine in alignment. If you spine is crooked will it keep it crooked or will it help fix it.

Anyone here have a tempurpedic or sleep number or any other special bed/mattress that they absolutely love and feel like it helps in anyway?

Thanks!

Hi...

The one thing I'm absolutely positive about, in terms of beds, is that everyone is different. Like you, I LOVED my waterbed, and never had any pain while sleeping or upon waking. I now have the top-of-the-line Select Comfort bed. I have it set to 15. For me, the softer the better.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by trcylynn View Post
      I was wondering what type of bed people with scoliosis and back pain are sleeping on... I used to have a waterbed which I was told is terrible for your back but it felt great for me but since I stopped sleeping in it for so long (off to college/etc) I cannot get comfortable in one anymore.

If I sleep on my side (opposite my curve- ie my back is a "C" if you look from behind and I sleep on the right side to encourage the curve to flatten out- hasn't worked yet but makes sense in my head) but now my right ribs start aching if I'm not positioned just right.

I try to sleep on my back but it's never very comfortable.

I keep seeing advertisements for tempurpedic and how it keeps your spine in alignment. If you spine is crooked will it keep it crooked or will it help fix it.

Anyone here have a tempurpedic or sleep number or any other special bed/mattress that they absolutely love and feel like it helps in anyway?

Thanks!
      I would have loved to get a tempurpedic bed but didn't have the money for a bed quite that nice. So, I just got a pretty standard no name brand mattress - firm. It's not overly firm to me but probably seems firm to anyone used to a pillow-topper bed or something along those lines. The firmness helps to support my back and to feel better in the mornings.

I sleep on my back for most of the night just because I think that's the most optimal position. I have a tempurpedic pillow that is great for my neck and head (it pulls my head back into a good, supported position since the pillow is curved), and I put a pillow under my knees (that takes some strain off your lower back - and your knees).

Then, if I roll onto my side, I always sleep on my concave size (the inside of my C), and I try to extend it as much as possible. That's the best way to sleep on your side. If you sleep on your convex side (the outside of the C), you're helping the curve A. by sleeping right on it and encouraging it and B. by closing up your concave side which should always be as open as possible. I also always put a pillow between my legs/knees when I'm sleeping on my side. It helps to keep your spine in a more normal alignment.

Comment

I have issues with sleeping too, I can't sleep my back hurts so bad.
        I sleep on a twin pillow top mattress on a sleigh bed.
        I sometimes sleep on the guest bed which is an Ortho something. It's specially designed for people with back issues. Go to a quality mattress store and try some mattresses out and ask them about orthopedic mattresses.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses!! I think a day spent laying in multiple beds before buying something is my next step...

Thanks again!

Comment

The more a bed resembles a rock, the happier I am. Our bed is quite firm, but I slept on a mattress that almost was a board when I stayed at my aunt's in Atlanta in June. My back was spasming like crazy all day, and I had the most restful sleep I've had in a while that night, thanks to that bed.

I do wonder what adaptation I'll need post-op, as far as my mattress goes, because I gather that my tastes may change then.
            Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
            Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
            Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by trcylynn View Post
              Thanks everyone for the responses!! I think a day spent laying in multiple beds before buying something is my next step...

Thanks again!
              Whatever you buy, I would recommend that you get something with a guarantee. That way, if you decide the mattress is wrong, you can switch to something else without penalty.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

bedroom thoughts

I burned my waterbed 20 years ago. It was good in its day.

In 2000, I ordered a custom rubber mattress with a 26 durometer. Rubber hardness is measured in durometers. The mattress was great for approx 5 years till it "hammocked" They sink about an inch or two in the center, then that makes it difficult to sleep on.

In 2005, I ended up with a medium tempurpedic. That was a desperate move. I wouldn't prepay for it and told the company that I would pay COD today only. Furniture companies are notorious for telling people that they have stock, when they don't. Been there done that. Anyway, its a fantastic mattress, but was too hard after my surgeries and had to buy a 2 inch latex foam topper to really soften it up. After 1 year post surgery, I could sleep on the tempurpedic without the foam and I transferred the foam to another bed that's in my rv. That mattress was way too hard and sits on a wooden riser without a boxspring. Since that mattress isn't hammocked and rests on wood, the 2-3 inches of foam has made it perfect.

So, in the long run, you do not have to spend the $2200 for the tempurpedic. You can buy a cheapo, set it on the floor without a boxspring, or lay a sheet of plywood under the mattress. As long as its dead flat, just add the foam and that works quite well.

If you buy a 3-4 inch latex piece of foam, laying it on the floor guarantees that flatness and works well. That's the cheapest way to make a bed change if having problems sleeping.

I figured that if I bought a Tempurpedic mattress, I would get the girl that jumps up and down next to the full wineglass, but they never sent her over.
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I definately require a bed that is HARD! I actually bought a new mattress the other week and was angry because it started to becomesofter in the mid section. But I flipped it over and am now sleping on the hard base side and it is great. I think anyone wit spinal curves should sleep on a medium to hard mattress.
                  45L/40T
                  Surgery 25/1/2010
                  Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

TiEd you always make me smile

Hi TiEd,

Your little bit about the Temperpedic girl made me laugh!

Two years ago we splurged and bought the most expensive Temperpedic with a pillow top (ouch, $4000). We were desperate after a series of bad mattresses. We realy loved it at first (though the first week of getting used to it was a little rough, it felt like laying on wet sand). Unfortunately, now it has developed body depressions like TiEd mentioned, and we are uncomfortable in it. It just cost so blasted much money that we don't know what to do. The Temperpedic warranty claim process is such that it is apparently impossible to get your money back.

So I am now eagerly reading this thread too, to get ideas for our next bed.
                    Last edited by leahdragonfly; 08-11-2009, 08:40 AM.
                    Gayle, age 50
                    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

We have a fairly firm mattress, which my husband liked more than I. After my surgery, we bought a 2" memory foam topper at Costco (Queen ran about $200, I think). We LOVE it. Steve can't feel me roll over, which I think must feel like an elephant rolling in bed with my log rolls. He says he doesn't even notice! And I never feel or even sense him getting out of bed to go to work in the morning. We both use memory foam neck pillows, also bought at Costco.
                      Lesley
                      Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                      Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                      T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                      Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                      Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                      Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                      Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                      Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                      Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I went with the Sleep number. I prefer rock hard sleeping, except as I get older, my hips don't like that as much.

But since I'm married, we both have to be happy. Once my husband and I each figured out our sleep numbers we realized just how different our needs were.
                        Living life after a Milwaukee...
                        And still crooked as a jail bird...

Comment

Working...
                        X