Rods & lightning strikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brad

Its a good thing that "rabbit ears" have been deleted.

You could try insertng the co-ax cable into your mouth and try to get HBO for free, then record to DVR.

Just an idea. If they keep raising rates, I will try it and let you know. LOL

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Great fun for a hot, yucky day! Continuing with Ed's idea, I think we may have a marketable product. How about rods that provide wireless transmission so you can stay connected anywhere Now we just need a research team.

Cheers!

Karen
      Karen, 66 years "young"
      Polio at 6
      Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
      Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
      Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
      Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
      Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Three surgeries in one week:
      8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
      8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
      9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        Brad

I dont know about lightning, but my cell phone reception has improved since I had my rods put in.

Ed
        Ed you are to dam funny!
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

lightening

The first thunder and lightening storm we had after I had my surgery I thought about that.....do I have a greater change of being struck now? I already HATE lightening storms lol.....all the more reason to not fo out in them because they aren't safe anyways! Ah the silly things we worry about!
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
            You could try insertng the co-ax cable into your mouth and try to get HBO for free, then record to DVR.
            Ed

Well as long as its not a rectal placement of a co-ax cable. If that were the case, I think I'd just go without HBO.

Brad
            Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
            Still have 57 degree curve
            2 Harrington rods
            Luque method used
            Dr David Bradford
            Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
            Preop xray (with brace on)
            Postop xray

Comment

Yeah, I have wondered the same thing about the lightening...I avoid lightening NOT to test my luck! lol

My friend says I screw up the radio reception! LOL She has me stand in a certain spot to get better 'signal'!!!! LOL
              Diagnosed in '06'
              Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
              Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
              Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
              Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
              Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
              I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

25 years and never been struck by lightning.

Does anyone else get shocked by their car on a regular basis? I always blamed my steel for holding on to too many electrons.

p

Comment

Hi PNUTTRO,
                  I always got shocks from one of our lab's chemical analyzers. One of my co-workers never got shocks. She needed a pacemaker to keep her heart rhythm going correctly. I didn't have any metal rods implanted in me at the time. There was something wrong with the machine which was finally remedied. You might have someone check the electrical system in your car.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                    Hi PNUTTRO,
                    I always got shocks from one of our lab's chemical analyzers. One of my co-workers never got shocks. She needed a pacemaker to keep her heart rhythm going correctly. I didn't have any metal rods implanted in me at the time. There was something wrong with the machine which was finally remedied. You might have someone check the electrical system in your car.
                    Sally
                    Thanks, but the car is fine. Its a problem of static electricity.

p

Comment

hahaha

hey guys!
                      LOL
                      ive kinda been wondering about this
                      im getting my surgery in a month
                      i would think that you would be a walking lightning rod, but im not entirely sure...
                      its a good question though
                      Hey guys!
                      My name is Hannah, I'm 14 years old, and I had a spinal fusion on 8/27/09
                      I feel great now!
                      Pre-op = 28T and 45L
                      Post-op = 18T and 22L

Comment

Originally posted by cactigirl96 View Post
                        “A hundred years ago, when researchers studied pneumonia, for example, they figured that whether people were coughing up blood or phlegm or fluid, they all had one disease called pneumonia. But now we know many different microbes can cause many different kinds of pneumonia and that they’re really very different diseases. And by way of analogy, I think that we’ll find the same thing with idiopathic scoliosis.” -Dr. James Ogilvie
                        At about age 6 I stood up too quick in the tub and gouged my back on the tub spout. It bled and I went to ER and was xrayed. No scoliosis. About 6 years later I was diagnosed with scoliosis. I use to ask my chiropractors if they thought that injury could be a cause. One showed me on my xray that a vertabrae in midback was actually wedge-shaped, like the injury stunted growth on the left. We all know what happens if you try to stack blocks on a wedge. If you offset them enough in a curve, the top one will eventually be straight (like your head). I haven't asked my surgeon this question yet, but I think I will when I'm there next Tuesday.

14 days and counting til the knife...
                        Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
                        Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
                        Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
                        Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
                        Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Originally posted by PNUTTRO View Post
                          Thanks, but the car is fine. Its a problem of static electricity.

p
                          Mine was static electricity also. They had to attach a grounding pad to the machine. Before you get in your car, take your key and touch it to the metal on the door. That should discharge the static. Also, you should do that if you pump your own gas. It's just a safety precaution.
                          Sally

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

static...

P-- I've always had that problem with our van... before surgery and after, so my hardware has nothing to do with it. And yes, Sally, I've heard to "discharge" that static before pumping gas... actually I think it was on TV a year or two ago. Thanks for the tip about the key. The jolts are strong enough that they make me wince. I've had the summer off from that though-- these humid mid-west summers are good for something, anyway!
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

[QUOTE=Susie*Bee;81463] The jolts are strong enough that they make me wince. I've had the summer off from that though-- these humid mid-west summers are good for something, anyway! [/QUOTE

Yup, I agree. Now I have the curly hair thing. I'll take this over the cold winters any day though. How was your trip to New Hampshire?

Sally

Comment

It was WONDERFUL even though it was rainy/overcast a lot of the time-- little Samuel was my sunshine.... I really need to add a pic or two of those darling grandsons and the wedding too, to my pics in my signature. Now I'm facing the beginning of school. We start really early here-- 1st day for teachers is Aug.7th; students Aug. 11th... no time left for play! Where did the summer go??? (Oh yeah, it went to the wedding, two trips to NH, and so on...)

Just so this has a teeny scoli stuff in it-- I get to finish off my summer with a trip to my scoli surgeon-- Aug. 6th. Hopefully hubby and I will have a nice day to go to Chicago. And hopefully I'll continue to get a good report.
                                Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-30-2009, 02:42 PM.
                                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                                X